I don't understand the expression "in a bit of a pickle"

How can you be inside just a bit of a pickle?
What the hell? Is that even possible?
(:
Just the tip.
All the things I want to remember are in the places I'd like to forget.
I don't know where you live Altnaharra.

But in Australia, we don't put Pickle's in Jam... that made physically ill.
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
Have you ever pickled an egg?

The act of being 'in a bit of a pickle' refers to the changing of your state to some what of a standstill. You're basically being stored until someone can 'help you out of your jam'

How do you pickle an egg? Do you place a pickle on it?

Is the egg at a standstill? The egg can't even stand, either.
I'm being stored? I want to be stored in a Walmart.
(:
"Pickling is the process of preserving food by anaerobic fermentation in brine to produce lactic acid, or marinating and storing it in an acid solution, usually vinegar (acetic acid). The resulting food is called a pickle. This procedure gives the food a salty or sour taste. In South Asia, edible oils are used as the pickling medium with vinegar."
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
The best explanation of the origin of this phrase I have seen is..

"The earliest pickles were spicy sauces made to accompany meat dishes. Later, in the 16th century, the name pickle was also given to a mixture of spiced, salted vinegar that was used as a preservative. The word comes from the Dutch or Low German pekel, with the meaning of 'something piquant'. Later still, in the 17th century, the vegetables that were preserved, for example cucumbers and gherkins, also came to be called pickles.

The 'in trouble' meaning of 'in a pickle' was an allusion to being as disoriented and mixed up as the stewed vegetables that made up pickles. This was partway to being a literal allusion, as fanciful stories of the day related to hapless people who found themselves on the menu. The earliest known use of pickle in English contains such an citation."

Spoiler
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info