What is the effect called?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGUOipNYOk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUivO1RNn4PQJZAvlo5xYi9A

What is this "foggyness", "dustiness" that most modern games have nowadays?

I see it too in Diablo 3 and Path of Exile

What's this effect called and is there a way to remove it, regardless of game?

The part right in between when the "fog" changes color looks miles better, I wish it could always look like that.
There is no way to make sure it does not happen in all games. The effect you are seeing in the distance is a way video games limit the use of rendering high level graphics for distant objects so as to not over tax a video card. Some games have settings to allow you to set the proximity at which the effect occurs and some will let you turn it off all together, some are preset and do not have any user adjustment in the graphics setting inside the game and there is nothing you can do.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
"
Pavshaus wrote:
There is no way to make sure it does not happen in all games. The effect you are seeing in the distance is a way video games limit the use of rendering high level graphics for distant objects so as to not over tax a video card. Some games have settings to allow you to set the proximity at which the effect occurs and some will let you turn it off altogether, some are preset and do not have any user adjustment in the graphics setting inside the game and there is nothing you can do.

Thanks a lot for the info Pavshaus!

It's funny, the video you saw showed F.E.A.R. 2, the first game does not have that "rendering limiter" and despite being older, I actually think it looks better.
Some of the slightly older games just seemed to get rendering right without over doing it. Sometime I think the newest games try to hard to push the rendering to it's limits and that is a mistake.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info