How much more awesome would it be

If the game could zoom out further...? Anybody else feel like max range is too close
Are you sure you're scrolling out all the way, the zoom is perfectly fine.
Still alive.. are we?
"
Blockhead wrote:
Are you sure you're scrolling out all the way, the zoom is perfectly fine.

I agree with you, I've no problem with the zoom, it's at the perfect place ... for me atleast.
"
zestyballs wrote:
If the game could zoom out further...? Anybody else feel like max range is too close

It would result in a large amount of bandwidth uses to the servers based around the way the game loads content. It would also make it to where ranged characters would be unable to attack things that were farther away on their screen.

I'm pretty positive I've read a statement by Chris stating that it's fixed towards the length of ranged characters attacks, so if it's on the screen you can fire a projectile at it.
Zesty I am going to give you the same advice I gave someone else on a completely different issue...

Play the game and eventually I think you will find that the camera is not an issue. I was playing D3 before POE (God I wish I could erase those memories) and I also thought the camera was weird at first. Now I don't notice any issues at all. Seriously, just try it for awhile and then let us know what you think.
Standard Forever
Being new I was wondering the same this morning. Thanks for explaining it's normal and the reasons why.
member of The Old Timers Guild
Also playing : D3 valhalla#1240 , Grim Dawn , TQ+IT
"
Elynole wrote:
"
zestyballs wrote:

It would result in a large amount of bandwidth uses to the servers based around the way the game loads content. It would also make it to where ranged characters would be unable to attack things that were farther away on their screen.

I'm pretty positive I've read a statement by Chris stating that it's fixed towards the length of ranged characters attacks, so if it's on the screen you can fire a projectile at it.

I don't mean to be a dick, but weren't you just on another thread where people were complaining about an exploit that allows players to see beyond the intended field of view, and saying that was fine? If so, how can you justify what you're saying here? And it's already been noted multiple times that there are lots of ranged spells that keep going way off the current field of view, so that point doesn't stand either.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

I don't mean to be a dick, but weren't you just on another thread where people were complaining about an exploit that allows players to see beyond the intended field of view, and saying that was fine? If so, how can you justify what you're saying here? And it's already been noted multiple times that there are lots of ranged spells that keep going way off the current field of view, so that point doesn't stand either.

Here is the comment left by Chris that I was speaking of:

"
Chris wrote:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so please treat my reply only as a general response to the camera zoom issue - I'm sorry if I don't address specific comments that I may have missed.

There are performance concerns with allowing the camera to zoom out further. It's an "n squared" relationship between the zoom distance and the number of objects that the game has to render. We're already looking into ways to make the game faster on old machines, and zooming it out further would undermine this. In the last year we've zoomed it out by 5% and 10% (after putting a lot of work into improving performance so that we have room to do this).

We've balanced our ranged combat around the distance that players are able to attack. If we zoomed it out further, you would not be able to attack monsters that you see on the edge of the screen. There are also issues with the distance that objects are serialised to you from the server, so increasing zoom distance would increase bandwidth consumption and (marginally) server load.

I understand that players abusing strange aspect ratios are able to see further than others, and this is something we're looking for a good solution for.

I'd like to support further zoom distance in the future, but there are a whole lot of big things that will have to change before we can do that - ranging from performance to balance concerns. This is not something we're able to just change with a simple number.

We recently compared our zoom level to other popular Action RPGs. When taking into account field of view and relative run speed, it wasn't too dissimilar.

I was arguing the fact on the other thread that I don't feel that due to having a wider screen and seeing more due to a higher resolution was an exploit, and that the solutions that people were coming up with would make it extensively harder for players with larger monitors to correctly setup the client to work for them.

I unintentionally use this "exploit" due to it being the only way to get the screen to size correctly on the HDTV that I play on. I didn't even know it was a problem until I went back and looked at my settings to compare.
Last edited by Elynole on Dec 15, 2012, 1:32:49 AM
"
Elynole wrote:

I was arguing the fact on the other thread that I don't feel that due to having a wider screen and seeing more due to a higher resolution was an exploit,

k, I'm not sure if you actually read that thread or looked at the video examples that were given. The whole point was that it's nothing to do with actually having a higher resolution or a wider screen, which are both not needed to use the exploit.

The point of that thread was that is allows players to do exactly what the OP of this thread is asking for, on any monitor. Yet on that thread you thought it was fine, and here you think it would cause too much server load and allow players to see out of intended range if it became in intended mechanic, rather than the accident it currently is, which GGG said in the statement you quoted that they are looking to fix.

I'm not really in favor of increasing the field of view, but your two stances completely contradict each other.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Dec 15, 2012, 2:00:25 AM
thumps up....the zoo is perfect

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info