PVP Unbalanced?

Ok, so my first pvp game had to be against a friend of mine because first of all there are almost no players in the pvp.

Now here comes the "unbalanced" part I guess. So me and my friend went to fight against each other 1 on 1. and I was playing a templar 2h zombie build while he used a dagger shadow with traps. He couldn't even go close to me because my weapon would be strong enough to 2 shot him, (1 shot with crit) while his melee would kill me after about 20 hits. Next was the trap part. His traps were almost useless against me, both bear traps and fire traps. + my zombies could also easily tank the dmg. we were both lvl 26. And I guess my gear must have been either very much stronger than his. Or, the build I was going was simply just that stronger than his.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? :p
Draeke, 42 HC Marauder died from a one shot... First HC char.
I haven't pvp'ed myself but what i can say is the very nature of the game means no build will be perfectly balanced with all other possible builds. You will come across players who will just kill the shit out of you due their build being a good counter to yours regardless of gear. With so many possibilities in this game perfect balance is a pipe dream. I don't know how much they intend to balance the game around PvP, if at all but I think if your coming in here expecting a finely tuned, incredibly balanced PvP game you will be disappointed.

also its probably good to point out PvP is still pretty new so I would get to the pvp forums and start posting feedback if you plan on spending a lot of time in the arenas and help the devs refine the pvp experience.
Last edited by derbefrier on Dec 13, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
"
derbefrier wrote:
I haven't pvp'ed myself but what i can say is the very nature of the game means no build will be perfectly balanced with all other possible builds.

This ^

I foresee PoE being more about the synergy of builds present in your entire team than "this build can kill this build". Every build has it's weakness, the most effective PvP'rs will be able to create builds around their pre-defined teams that both boost their weaknesses and plays off their strengths.

That being said, PvP is a different arena entirely - do not expect to win in PvP if your build isn't specified for just that...PvP. A PvE build will be slaughtered by some of the PvP builds I've seen out there already.
I think that this short video should help understand why PvP in POE can work.
"
Elynole wrote:
"
derbefrier wrote:
I haven't pvp'ed myself but what i can say is the very nature of the game means no build will be perfectly balanced with all other possible builds.

This ^

I foresee PoE being more about the synergy of builds present in your entire team than "this build can kill this build". Every build has it's weakness, the most effective PvP'rs will be able to create builds around their pre-defined teams that both boost their weaknesses and plays off their strengths.

That being said, PvP is a different arena entirely - do not expect to win in PvP if your build isn't specified for just that...PvP. A PvE build will be slaughtered by some of the PvP builds I've seen out there already.

Simply put it's a team deathmatch game with thousands of options when it comes to builds. Some are clearly better than others. Its much like arena pvp in most games.

The biggest impact you are going to see is what skills people use. These will be chosen first, then supported by their build variation. Followed by the last accent being gear.

"
Elynole wrote:

Don't really think the builds matter too much outside of deciding to spec US or not, but you do need specific gear. You absolutely need Chayulas and Dream Fragments if you're CI or else you'll just get stunlocked to death.

edit: quotesfdasfjksdlf
Last edited by ifarmpandas on Dec 13, 2012, 4:30:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info