Ingame Bet Turned Into Argument

For those who have some spare time, this should be pretty entertaining to read.

I come across this guy LuxErin selling a pretty nice bow.

We were talking for a second Bow's current dps was around 240. and he said he was trying to get 3 EX.

I replied that's a bit steep for 240 dps bow

LuxErin replied yes but that's without whetstones

I replied whets would probably bring it up around 255 ish

LuxErin then says

"
I bet you 10 Chaos it's over 270 DPS

Now, I have not mentioned anything about the bet before his statement and he makes a definite condition of the bet

It's either under 270 or over 270

At least to my knowledge and common sense that's the condition implied by his statement.

I knew for a fact this was impossible and probably didn't expect to get paid but joined the bet just for fun. Then he says he has no whetstones to upgrade it.

Seeing that this will now turn into waste of time I explained to him why it'd be impossible to get 270+ dps with that thicket bow base since it'd require 43 raw damage from min/max value from 20 whets, which doesnt happen on Thickets.

Then he says

"
Well, it's not 255

So basically somehow somewhere a bet whether or not something was over certain value turned into an estimation bet, taking estimation from my statement that had nothing to do with the bet. This was immediately after he learned that there's no way it can be over 270 as he said.

I mean this was not the first time I got in a similar situation. I had an EX bet about another equipment and the person in question whetted it learned that he was wrong then we just kinda talked for good fun and moved on

We've argued for quite some time where the main point is pretty much this

My point is that when you make a definitive statement that something IS something or something IS over or under something, it's a This or That bet where you win if the condition is true and your opponent wins if it is false.

His point is that his statement of "I bet it's over 270" means that he wins if it's over 270 and I win if it's 255.

Just wanted to share because it was HIS IDEA

to post this on forum and let people figure out my stupidity

Enjoy =)
IGN: Xelphilia (Domination)
Last edited by kurayuki on Nov 8, 2013, 5:54:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info