In-Game or Video Tutorial - Teach Before They Troll

My YouTube actually has a lot of information regarding different in-game mechanics (I believe 7 of the 8 current videos are basically mechanic videos) and I think are pretty helpful. It would definitely have helped me back when I was first starting.

With that said, I think some sort of in-game tutorial system would be nice, but I'm not sure there is a best way to go about it. A hint system sounds great, but percentage wise not many people actually take the time to read through them and will generally just close them because they take up UI space and are kind of annoying.
Optimize everything.
"
Eztheal wrote:
My YouTube actually has a lot of information regarding different in-game mechanics (I believe 7 of the 8 current videos are basically mechanic videos) and I think are pretty helpful. It would definitely have helped me back when I was first starting.

With that said, I think some sort of in-game tutorial system would be nice, but I'm not sure there is a best way to go about it. A hint system sounds great, but percentage wise not many people actually take the time to read through them and will generally just close them because they take up UI space and are kind of annoying.

For a first playthrough they are fine. If they popped up after that it gets annoying. But like at the start of the game. that tool tip is fine. ala press alt to see items. Relevant and i dont need to click it to remove the tooltip off the screen/.

This guy was very helpful for me. Although ive only seen one of his videos. and all he was saying was run past everything. but in terms of race stratigy. I didnt realise how much of a waste of time killing the early enemies was.

Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Dec 12, 2012, 5:03:37 PM
"
Eztheal wrote:

Really cool, thanks for sharing your channel. I'll put it in my sig to send interested people along to it for now.

I'm also against annoying pop-ups telling you how to play to game. I do realize that there is a certain sense that players should be encouraged to experiment and have less in-game hand holding (and therefore a greater sense of achievement).

It's just that with the flood of new players that will come in OB, PoE can do much better in the department of helping new players help themselves.

Any more ideas?
Basics of how to play (by Malice): tinyurl.com/72wrafn
Walkthrough for Act I and II (by KrapnoV) : tinyurl.com/7w3a3gd
Mechanics - how the game works (by Malice) : tinyurl.com/6p4zbl5
Crafting Guide (by Invalesco) : bit.ly/craftpoe
Mechanics videos (by Eztheal) : bit.ly/UTwFAV
Suggestion: Loading screen tip about shotgun effect of multiple projectile spells.
Suggestion: Loading screen tip to clarify that nodes such as Ghost Reaver only apply to Life Leech, and not Life Gain on Hit.

(originally suggested by aimlessgun)
Last edited by Singakiwi on Dec 17, 2012, 3:51:31 AM
Back when the beta manifesto was still up, I suggested for there to be some sort of mini ingame video tutorial added into the game.
I'm pretty sure GGG will add some sort of picture/written tutorials(or big flashing arrows pointing at things) into the game when OB comes out.

Another idea is to add a built-in Guide book into the game, with Categories Topics using drop-down menu for the sub-topics, which opens up the before mentioned video tutorials, plus the PoE wiki with the relevant info.
I have seen quite a few games using that style, and it works out ok.
Sweeping Maid
Thanks nzrock. Sound like pretty easily implementable ideas.

"
I'm pretty sure GGG will add some sort of picture/written tutorials(or big flashing arrows pointing at things) into the game when OB comes out.

I really hope so. The last things they'd want would be hordes of confused gamers who'd just had a hardcore death and start complaining about it to the whole world.

Just thought of this

Suggestion: Have a (conspicuous) 'new player' section on the official website. This section of the website can provide a basic illustration of game mechanics and provide links to good fan-made videos and FAQs on the forum.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info