elemental equillibrium (super technical mechanic talk, join if you know the answer)

ok, so im building my sorc, her main playstyle will be focused on EE.

my question is this:

if i take my main spell (fireball) and attach "extra lightning damage" to it, will this happen:

1. Fireball hits, EE triggers making the mob have +25% fire resistance, and -25% light/cold res.
2. a split milisecond later the added lightning dmg hits, making the mob have +25% light res, and -25% cold/fire res.
3. i cast another fireball, hitting the mob when it has -25% fire res, making it have + 25 fire res, instantly after the fire hits the added light dmg hits, swapping resists back to -25% fire/cold and +25% light.

basically, can i spec EE, add a secondary dmg type to my main spell and spam that spell like its turkey on thanksgiving?
Afaik, No.

Attack with one element, then attack with another/the others.

If you combine the elements, you're screwing yourself.
so the support gem element would just be discounted completely?
If my memory and understanding serves.

You'll end up granting whatever you're attacking resistances, but really it's been a while since I've used EE, I'm not sure at this point.

Would be better if an EE user/dev could confirm this.
I have always understood EE to mean if an enemy is hit with two types of elemental damage in the same attack the third gets -50%. However if you attack with all three elements it renders EE null and void.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Twitch stream link: http://www.twitch.tv/bled66
Experimenting, solidifying and straight rocking POE.
Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 8, 2012, 11:11:12 PM
i really need someone that knows for sure what the answer to the question in the OP is, its directly impacting my next few passive points.

the question is this:

if i have fireball with lightning attached, will lightning hit last? if lightning does hit last, will the mob get -25% fire resist, if this happens, does that mean any skill with a secondary damage type attached can just be spammed and it would constantly have -25% resistance to the main skill?

i cant stress how important this question is, if this scenario is true i can max fireball and thats the only skill i need, otherwise ill have to max another skill, and change my passives around a bit to be less tanky.
"
vampirekid13 wrote:
i really need someone that knows for sure what the answer to the question in the OP is, its directly impacting my next few passive points.

the question is this:

if i have fireball with lightning attached, will lightning hit last? if lightning does hit last, will the mob get -25% fire resist, if this happens, does that mean any skill with a secondary damage type attached can just be spammed and it would constantly have -25% resistance to the main skill?

i cant stress how important this question is, if this scenario is true i can max fireball and thats the only skill i need, otherwise ill have to max another skill, and change my passives around a bit to be less tanky.

No, EE is based around the single attack If you have say Lightning strike and you cast it on a mob bam +25% to lightning and -25% to fire and ice. If you have what you say Fireball with lightening damage then you are giving -50% resistance to ice.

look to this thread to verify http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20110. His build used lightning strike with ice to give -50% to fire for Molten shield to proc. There is no proc order to the elemental damages to a single attack. its either 1 attack = 1 ele, 2 ele or silly 3 ele.

EE does not stack either, you cast or attack and then the next one refreshes the new stats.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 8, 2012, 11:24:34 PM
"
"
vampirekid13 wrote:

the question is this:

No, EE is based around the single attack If you have say Lightning strike and you cast it on a mob bam +25% to lightning and -25% to fire and ice. If you have what you say Fireball with lightening damage then you are giving -50% resistance to ice.

look to this thread to verify http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20110. His build used lightning strike with ice to give -50% to fire for Molten shield to proc. There is no proc order to the elemental damages to a single attack. its either 1 attack = 1 ele, 2 ele or silly 3 ele.

ok, this is what i needed to know exactly, thank you very much.

so optimal EE build would be Fire with lightning attached, followed up by a cold with lightning attached, so i get -50 to fire and -50 to cold every attack.
"
vampirekid13 wrote:
ok, this is what i needed to know exactly, thank you very much.

so optimal EE build would be Fire with lightning attached, followed up by a cold with lightning attached, so i get -50 to fire and -50 to cold every attack.

This is how that would play out:

Attack with 2 ele, fire + lightning = -50% ice ele
Next attack
You attack with 2 ele again cold + fire = the damage with ice modifier hitting with -50% where as fire would have + 25% ele modifier
After damage is resolved
EE procs to reset the ele resistances to the new one being -50% lightning and so on.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
To flip or not to flip

Last edited by BeyondAnyTherapy on Dec 8, 2012, 11:37:57 PM
Just am able to confirm that both type of element will hit at the same time making your next attack of the same thing do less damage untill you switch it up.

EE is very powerful if you play around it and use it to your advantage. In doing so will really lock you into a build and "rotation" type of play for every single mob you come across.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info