Dev Diary: Rethinking Gold as a Currency

"
182wilder wrote:
With gold u can buy anything if u can afford. This complicates trade too much and rather gives those orbs trash value. What if my shiny wand turns into crap if i use one of those orbs on it?

Sucks my first post is a criticism since I do like this game but I have to say... this.

I blew through a bunch of orbs trying to get an item I needed and now I'm left wondering if I just spent a million dollars on a low level item mod that I'm just going to trash in the next act.

You mention “Globs of Ectoplasm”, “Stone of Jordan” and “High Rune” but those items have specific traits that guaranty a positive return, that is where the value comes from. Oh, I can roll for sockets but how many? what color? oh, I can roll a color but what color? Your currency is speculative because its a random value that goes from -a loss to a waste to a win with a single click.

I don't even know the odds of getting what I want; ergo how many orbs I need... not that I want to gamble with my... umm, money.

But like I said this is a great f2p game and will continue to play, thanks! :)

Edit: I just blew 4 fuse trying to get one more link and ended up with no links... it's like I went to the ATM for 20$ and it gave me 20yen instead :(
Last edited by crypto_z on Jun 9, 2013, 10:54:24 AM
I love this concept of trade and barter. Only problem I'm having are the 'crappy' items available from vendors...there is almost no point in checking to see what they have for sell. The way business is conducted with NPC's needs some changes. I have sold some nice rares and only recieved 1 or 2 orb shards, and yet all they have to offer are normals and low end magic items at a set cost. I understand this encourages player to player trade, but sometimes you dont want to deal with the hassle. Thanks. Love the game!
I'm very unsure about the Currency in this game, I never know if im getting ripped off or a good price for items, so I just dont buy anything and I dont use the items because I feel like its wasting the item/coin.
I wish there was a watered down version of this with a currency counter so you could tell how much all your item equal too.
or a vendor you could sell your items too in exchange for wraeclast coin/beads/stones or something along those lines.
I want a Number to work with.
I played this for a day now and I can see some good sides of this currency change...either you pay with some scrols or some weapons it doesnt matter when you can go back and slay enemies again to collect those things(I mean on currency things). So far I enjoy in this and hope that I will become better and understand this better than now. 10/10 for this game :))
This is pure brilliance! I love it! It eliminates the ridiculously gratuitous amount of coinage and trash loot lying around on the ground that players don't even bother to pick up (like pennies in real life). Items actually have value, and that is very satisfying to OCD type players who hate leaving a mess of items just lying on the ground!
i love this system and have played PoE for a while but i think its kind of hard to get trades without always watching the chat i think there should be a page on the website that you can make offers and trade from so you can search for a chaos orb for a axe of x and if it is not on an offer you can make one or just look for good offers whenever
As a former player of guild wars and diablo 2 (soon to be Diablo 3) it seems that you guys have nailed the currency system. I 1000% agree with you that not having the gold, or knowing how long it will take for me to get certain amount of money is frustrating and it takes the fun away from the game.

I can't wait to finish patching this game so i can destroy everything!

PROPS TO THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM!
Last edited by quierountaco on May 20, 2014, 6:37:06 AM
"
i love this system and have played PoE for a while but i think its kind of hard to get trades without always watching the chat i think there should be a page on the website that you can make offers and trade from so you can search for a chaos orb for a axe of x and if it is not on an offer you can make one or just look for good offers whenever

this sounds like a fantastic idea. I havent played the game yet, but if the development team looks at it, to get a good idea of how to work this, look at a game called "dark summoner" (for android cellphone).
they got a trading system just like this guy above me requested.
What sets this game apart IMO
ign HC: Ek_dank Acct name xDank

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info