Righteous fire, blocker, moltenshell - help theorycraft

Hi, is this viable?

Not sure if anyone has tried this before, and i'm not really an expert when it comes to weird builds, so would appreciate som info from the experts before I ruin a char :)

The plan:
To create a char that runs righteous fire, with as much block as possible, that just burns down enemies... no weapon needed.
High life and block for defence. Use molten shell for extra damage (tempest shield if enough mana to add block and damage)

Skills:
Righteous fire for burning down enemies. Secondary abusing the "more" spelldamage.
Molten shell (should benefit from righteous fire spelldamage buff)
vitality (% regen)
purity (+% max fire resistance)
Enduring cry (% life regen)
Flammability curse

(supports for molten: iron will, fire pen, add fire or something like that)

(immortal call?)
(tempest shield?)

Passives needed:
As much life as possible
Stacking passives with % life regen
Stacking Block passives
A few reduced mana reserved (for running vitality + purity)
Elemental adaptation for +2%max fire resistance

Items needed:
Shield: Rise of the phoenix (+8% to max fire resistance)
necklace: The anvil (+10 block +3% max block and life+mana gained on block + lots of reflect)
Body armor:
1. lightbane rainment: (now) 50% chance for desecrated ground (how much damage?) on block (more pain around you)
2. Zahndethus' cassock: (now) 50% chance for (5% life regen?) concecrated ground on block (would help with % life regen)

(Extra shield: saffel's frame branded kite shield - switch for casters)

Righteous fire math:
75% max fire res + 8% max (shield) + 2% max (elemental adaptaion) + 2% max (purity) = 87%
Leaving 0,13 * 90 = 11,7 % degen.
We have 7,4% (passives) + ~1,5% (vitality - not max'ed) + 6* 0,2% (endurance charges) = 10,1%

Meaning we would need ruby flasks or increased aura effect to sustain without life loss.

- Not sure I have the numbers correct though :)
- And there is some energy shield involved in equipment that would cause extra damage

The build:
This has 7,4% regen passives (not including regen from endurance charges), +36% block, 86% life
The Base - Marauder - 74 points

same %life regen, 41% block, 44% ele resists, 208% life
Continued - 101 points - adding life, resists, block, aoe damage etc. Plenty of life around for more levels

Hejren / Triceps / Regnbuen / Sarinti / Striglen / Mareridt / Spoegelset / Doktoren / Dobbelganger / Skjoldtrold / Forkynderen
Last edited by PaganDK on Oct 25, 2013, 7:01:29 AM
I was just trying to figure out a way to make a RF Mara possible again. I honestly can't imagine myself doing it with the block because I don't think I can hit the points on the tree that I feel I need to get the most out of RF. I came up with this as the best way to balance out the degen. It would take forever to get to all of the regen nodes, especially the last one in the ranger tree because that is just way out there.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wJxBLMFLRLhFCAUTRZvGS4aOBpVG8gb-h0UJd8n1SftKaUt0jWSNug62DrhPC1AoEGHQzFHfkp9TdhN404qUEdQUFRJVcZXDVhjWfNbr14TXz9gS2EhZKNlTWaeZ6BodHTteOt67311gW-E2YTvh3aI8YzPj0aQVZHOlKCePJ65ns2fy6IApBmmV6cwp4SrxaxZrKq2Qbc-ud277cAaxFjE9sauxtjPZdDQ0iHTftSP2WHaYtyC3Q3i6ucK51LnY-w47w7vevIv8kX2SPno-tL8xf4K_o_-ug==

I figure if I were going to try this, I would have some other spam skill with life leech and whirling blades on a dagger to try to make sure I could keep the life leech coming.

I really like the block RF build idea though as those are two of my favorite mechanics in the game. The tough thing about righteous fire is that if you make a righteous fire build that doesn't quite work, it isn't just bad like some that lack survivability or damage. It's completely not viable, and for that reason I've always been scared away from trying block and RF together myself. Good luck to you.
With all of the regen nodes on the web now, you can get a whopping possible 9.4% of life per second.

Rise of the Phoenix, Adaptation and Purity (which is a +3 now IIRC) gives you 88% total fire resist; before you could top 89%. If you hit a TON of reservation nodes, and increased effect nodes, you could perhaps see Vitality hit 1.9% increased life per second. Blood Magic and the 30% reserve node behind it could be useful.

Other items that could aid you are: Ambu's Charge for that extra 2% on low life.

Personally I would start with a *Scion for this because of the placement of the reservation and increased effect nodes.

You REALLY REALLY need to get TONS of life to make this work, however.

Cast on Damage Taken could be really useful.

EDIT: Tested out a tree, but went a little heavy on the regen rather than block.
Last edited by Malpheas on Oct 25, 2013, 4:43:49 PM
Well if you look at my tree, it is possible to do block aswell. No, you won't have enough regen from tree/skills to balance out the degen, but if you use this one (remember new version has 50% chance on block to proc 5% life regen
it might work, but getting 104 int+added ES sucks.
Yeah not sure it's worth the trouble... I think I have just become obsessed with the idea now heh.
Hejren / Triceps / Regnbuen / Sarinti / Striglen / Mareridt / Spoegelset / Doktoren / Dobbelganger / Skjoldtrold / Forkynderen
Me too. I really really tried to make this work.
Hi there, I'm currently using a slight modification of this build with the help of cyclone linked with life/hit, life leach and bloodmagic.

I'm currently using dualhanded claws with 15 life/hit mods on.
This alows me to to go right into a mass with rf while cycloning to gain life. Also I do not need to take unwavering stance as one can't get sunned while cycloning.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwCcQSzBS0S4RRNGS4b-iSLJd8n1SftKS4xnjWSPC09Dz38QYdGaUd-TeNQUFcNWGNYr18_YEthIWNwZU1odG5pdO14DXrvfLh8u4FvgziE2YTviPGMBozPkc6UoJ48ogCkGaSsplepbqvFrFm18rc-ud277b6KvqfAD8QVxFjE9sauxtjSTdSP2E3ZYdpi4urnY-8O73zv4_Iv8932SPno_gr-jw==

Just soloed a lvl 69 map at lvl 61, without any specific uniques, just 3.5k life, 3k armor 79 all resist.
Soloing piety was a breeze :)

I will probably not use Rise of the Phoenix, as I want the extra life/hit from the 2nd weapon.

it's really fun to play :D
Last edited by BlueManiac on Oct 27, 2013, 6:44:44 PM
I gathered all the needed equipment and specced my marauder as planned above.

Gear Changes:
Boots: the blooddance (making it possible to get additional 3% life regen with 3 frenzy)
Cybil's paw: Well I picked up a weapon afterall, since it has great synergy with the build (max block) and I'm using EK with it, to leech life.

Most of my gems are lowlevel so clearing speed is not good! My marauder is 69, so i'm just gonna work in the docks area to level up gems and experiment a bit with supports for molten shell, EK etc. If I can get EK leveled it might have potential.

With the chest armor (it procs all the time), you can regen through righteous fire degen, but overall not really impressed so far - Still my gems are not leveled, and I'm lacking life (because of focusing on block/life regen) so I guess that's to be expected. I probably shouldn't judge the build before I have gems leveled, but it seems to me that the nerfs to +max resists on both purity and elemental adaption (maxxing out at 87% fire resists) makes it too hard to build a decent full life build with righteous fire... When you have to get so much specific gear (uniques), passives (%life regen) and resists (totally neglecting iiq/iir), you would expect to be better off.

I will report back when gems are leveled. It is kinda fun just burning stuff down and exploding molten shells on mobs :P

Any suggestions on best support setups for EK (iron will, BM, leech atm), righteous fire (seem you can increase area, but not use concentrated effect) and molten shell (leech, BM, iron will atm)?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info