Hardcore, frenzy, evasion & spectral/claw build.

Spoiler
I'm trying to make a spectral throw/claw Build for hardcore (i only play on hardcore) and i need some advice, my defense its going to be a mix of armor/evasion (and life of course) and i'm kind of new so i don't have many support/skill gems.

This is the basic build that i got so far, i didn't put more nodes because it will depend on the condition of my character, in case i need more damage, life (which i think i do), armor, block, critical or if i want to use iron reflex, unwavering stance, mind drinker or any other node, i can make the proper adjustment for that.

Example 1.

Example 2.

if you can recommend some good nodes or if it exists a better alternative for some nodes that i choose please tell me.

I was planning on using dual claw, but then i read that for hardcore, using a shield is better and the dps don't suffer too much, it's this true?

I was having a little problem choosing the skills that i'm going to use but so far i got:

-Spectral Throw for aoe.
-Frenzy for charges.
-Single target skill for bosses or strong mobs.

And thats about it, about the other skills i have some doubts:

For my single target skill i don't know if i should use Double Strike or Dual strike, which one its better? of course if i decide to use shield i'll take Double Strike. Unless Dual Strike it's so good that it's fine to lose the shield for it.

Are Puncture and Viper Strike good skills? it could be a good idea to use them both as a replacement of Double Strike if i can leech from the dot, can this be done?

What other single target skill are recommended that are better than the others that i mention before?

What other skill can recommend that will help improve the spectral throw, life leech and/or the character in general? maybe some auras?

Thanks a lot for the help and for your time.

i have made some modifications, i'm going to use a claw and shield, with evasion, life, life leech, attack speed, frenzy charge and some boost to the claw/1h damage.

Basic Build

for skills i have/planing to use:

-Spectral throw for aoe
-Double Strike/Frenzy for single target

NOTE: for now my main is double strike, and i'm using frenzy to build charge, when i get more frenzy charges i might switch to frenzy as main, i need more testing with this.

-I'm planing to get Blood Rage as a buff, it looks very promising with spectral throw.

-As for curse i'm planing to use Frostbite.

the reason i'm planing to use Frostbite is that i'm using the Added Cold Damage support gem, the chill (and potentially frozen) effect is really useful and help with my survival.

other passive skill that i'm considering to use are, Blind, Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles, Faster attack/Projectiles, Curse on Hit, Life Gain on Hit/life leech.

for know thats what i'm aiming for.

this is my current equipment and build:

Currente build (i make some mistake but nothing that suppose a problem since i'm going to use them later).

Spoiler

i had solo everything on normal act 1 and 2 without any trouble (it got a little complicate on the final boss of chapter 2 but i could kill him without help), so far this build is really fun and i'm enjoining it a lot.

i'll be very gratefull if someone could make some recommendation or give me some good criticism...
Last edited by Gilmamesh on Oct 29, 2013, 11:20:30 AM
BUMP... please could somebody help me?
Added a new example build without Vaal Pact...
I with 6 frenzy charges Frenzy should be good Single target skill- it gets bonus AS And dmg per frenzy charge(4% d,g and 5% as/ charge at lv 1). If you are going to use 2x1h then dual strike is better. if 1h+ shiedl then duble(or frenzy).
If you are going dual wield pick you might want to pick Derwish node(near Duelist starting position) and maybe 3 +block nodes near scion string - it will give you good boost to defense.
WSell thats all i can say, im not expert too, but if you are playing HC then 1h+shield might be better - you cant have too much defense on HC;p
new info added...
Last edited by Gilmamesh on Oct 26, 2013, 6:08:04 PM
new info added...
Last edited by Gilmamesh on Oct 26, 2013, 6:07:38 PM
BUMP!... could anyone give me some advise on my build?
You're going to need more INT to use claws, and a lot more HP. I've been trying to figure out a build myself with something along the same idea and can't seem to get it right. Also you don't want to dual wield with spec throw, it rotates weapons. Melee damage also doesn't apply damage to spec throw.

Something like this might work, 120 INT, aura points and a lot more HP. You're going to want to run grace+hatred most likely, could run three auras with Alpha's Howl. Even this would be cutting it close in terms of HP I think (at least for HC).

I feel like dropping Vaal Pact and running Blood Dance boots with blood rage might be nice, not sure. Been messing around with a split arrow/frenzy build lately, this will probably be my next one. Maybe something like this, I've never really messed around with Vaal Pact. Not too sure how safe it is in HC so I feel like the second build would be safer. If you want instant life leech you could always run a Bloodseeker, but you'd lose damage.
Last edited by PwnMart on Nov 1, 2013, 10:56:42 PM
"
PwnMart wrote:
You're going to need more INT to use claws, and a lot more HP. I've been trying to figure out a build myself with something along the same idea and can't seem to get it right. Also you don't want to dual wield with spec throw, it rotates weapons. Melee damage also doesn't apply damage to spec throw.

Something like this might work, 120 INT, aura points and a lot more HP. You're going to want to run grace+hatred most likely, could run three auras with Alpha's Howl. Even this would be cutting it close in terms of HP I think (at least for HC).

I feel like dropping Vaal Pact and running Blood Dance boots with blood rage might be nice, not sure. Been messing around with a split arrow/frenzy build lately, this will probably be my next one. Maybe something like this, I've never really messed around with Vaal Pact. Not too sure how safe it is in HC so I feel like the second build would be safer. If you want instant life leech you could always run a Bloodseeker, but you'd lose damage.

thanks a lot for answering my post and for your recommendation, i know that melee damage doesn't affect spec throw but i started that way because of the resistances, i notice about the int but i wanted to see if i can cover the rest with equipment.

one question, how can you maintain 2 or 3 auras and still able to use your skills?

I'll reconsider some of my choices, thanks a lot for your advise.
I played with this for a long time. The result was that I was continually runing out of mana and even with mana leech I could not sustain for long enough to kill anything. I had to drop frenzy and go to heavy strike/double strike. I even played with blood magic but that restricted my ability to run auras to much.

In the end I dropped vaal pact and picked up a bloodseeker which means I can still use pots for mana if I really need to. I can run clarity and 1 aura and Tempest shield.

I usually run a high evasion shield as they have higher block on them typically. Most of the resists are covered by my rings.

I even debated RT. but figured I had enough accuracy that it would not be required.

Anyway, point being, anyone had any other ideas on how to do this?
Last edited by Ozsmeg on Jan 23, 2014, 1:09:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info