Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

why ETERNAL ORBS are really BAD for the game !

nothing has contributed more to rmt than the introduction of this orb which allowed rmters to brute force bis items and then hilariously charge other rmters a mirror and 100 exalts to copy it.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Feb 21, 2014, 9:45:18 PM
I don't necessarily think eternal orbs are bad for the game in themselves, but they do create a lot of peripheral issues. I agree with most of those side-effects that the OP describes. Gear worth up to around an exalt is decently attainable in the ladder leagues, and then upgrades after that get much harder to come by. This is partly to be expected in a player economy-based game, but I think the effect is a bit too drastic at the moment. It leads to long periods at endgame where incremental upgrades are nowhere to be found, and the best practice is to either save up for something near mirror-worthy in a single slot, or to begin crafting yourself and spending 10+ ex on a single slot, not including linking.

Note that I'm not complaining about being able to get good gear for my character, or not having enough currency, or anything like that. It's just that I feel the rate of meaningful gear changes becomes very "batchy" pretty quickly with a system that incentivizes saving up for these marathon hundred exalt crafting sprees to create mirror service gear. The economic impact is that the tier just below that suffers a little.
"
Nephalim wrote:
nothing has contributed more to rmt than the introduction of this orb which allowed rmters to brute force bis items and then hilariously charge other rmters a mirror and 100 exalts to copy it.

Mirrors are much worse for the game than eternals. By themselves eternals are great: they are a step away from RNG and towards real crafting, and who wouldn't want that?
Without mirrors only the richest of the rich would attempt to craft a BiS item, and then it would be a one-time endeavour. And they wouldn't do it to gain wealth, because who would buy an item that costs thousands of exalts? They would do it for themselves, to have the best item on the server. And that would be great.

But the mirror ruins it all. Now they can set up shops with which they can get back what they invested and start the whole process all over. Eventually flooding the server with BiS gear, with all the shitty side-effects, like people saving up to get a mirror and the fee, because clearly everything else is "un-economical", and then running around in copypasta gear.
"
Jojas wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

Mirrors are much worse for the game than eternals. By themselves eternals are great: they are a step away from RNG and towards real crafting, and who wouldn't want that?
Without mirrors only the richest of the rich would attempt to craft a BiS item, and then it would be a one-time endeavour. And they wouldn't do it to gain wealth, because who would buy an item that costs thousands of exalts? They would do it for themselves, to have the best item on the server. And that would be great.

Not to discount the 'rich get richer' problem intrinsic to mirrors, but I suspect that gripe wasn't so significant before the introduction of Eternals. Eternals undermine loot acquisition and the steady progression of gear. They encourage orb hoarding and facilitate rapid near-perfect itemization, thus undermining the return on actually playing the game (i.e farming and gambling), while also creating a market for mirror-worthy items.

It seemed to me mirrors were fine when inhibited by yolo gambling. And frankly, that's because there were less barriers to creating wealth outside of gaming trade.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Last edited by Veta321 on Feb 22, 2014, 2:26:42 AM
Eternals in conjunction with mirrors and rampant rmt all played a part in the destruction of standard crafting and end game item progression.

-Without rmt, the game would be almost perfect.
-Without mirrors, rmters with bis gear could not generate hundreds of exalts per week off of fees.
-Without eternals, it would have been far harder to create bis items so people would at least be hesitant to rmt mirrors and exalts as something better may come a long eventually.

Remove even one and the game is a far better place but sadly its far too late.
"
Jojas wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

But the mirror ruins it all. Now they can set up shops with which they can get back what they invested and start the whole process all over. Eventually flooding the server with BiS gear, with all the shitty side-effects, like people saving up to get a mirror and the fee, because clearly everything else is "un-economical", and then running around in copypasta gear.

You're flooding the server with mirrored items that can never change to adapt to changes in gameplay or build. Fixed socket colours can ruin a ton of builds.
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
@linkstatic

I don't think he minds people mirroring as much people accruing wealth from 'mirror-worthy' items. I could be wrong.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Last edited by Veta321 on Feb 22, 2014, 2:29:38 AM
"
Nephalim wrote:
Eternals in conjunction with mirrors and rampant rmt all played a part in the destruction of standard crafting and end game item progression.

-Without rmt, the game would be almost perfect.
-Without mirrors, rmters with bis gear could not generate hundreds of exalts per week off of fees.
-Without eternals, it would have been far harder to create bis items so people would at least be hesitant to rmt mirrors and exalts as something better may come a long eventually.

Remove even one and the game is a far better place but sadly its far too late.

It's not too late. Just add new (not necessarily more powerful) properties that people want instead. The game could use more varied and specialized mods anyway.

And I'm afraid the game faces far more grievous obstacles than RMT. RMT is unavoidable, even if its your main gripe (not desync, trade, pvp, monotony, really?) the highest priority of GGG is increasing population and retention rate.
Last edited by Veta321 on Feb 22, 2014, 2:38:39 AM
"
linkstatic wrote:
"
Jojas wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

You're flooding the server with mirrored items that can never change to adapt to changes in gameplay or build. Fixed socket colours can ruin a ton of builds.

the best items to dupe dont have sockets or 3 sockets and will be bis regardless of any changes to the meta game. they become essentially BiS uniques and reduce itemization to a wallet check.

The only worthwhile 6 socket weapon is the harbinger bow and theres enough in the market to swap.

"
And I'm afraid the game faces far more grievous obstacles than RMT. RMT is unavoidable, even if its your main gripe (not desync, trade, pvp, monotony, really?) the highest priority of GGG is increasing population and retention rate.

It depends who you ask. I have yet to die to desync nor is it a noticeable detriment to my enjoyment of the game. RMT on the other hand is very noticeable once you reach the top tiers of play legitimately and you see how widespread the issue is.
Last edited by Nephalim on Feb 22, 2014, 2:43:27 AM
"
It depends who you ask. I have yet to die to desync nor is it a noticeable detriment to my enjoyment of the game. RMT on the other hand is very noticeable once you reach the top tiers of play legitimately and you see how widespread the issue is.

is that speculative or do you know without a doubt certain players are RMT

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info