So... I Made a Trapper

So I made a pvp trapper guy, which I'm sure is going to piss some people off. To prevent a lot of the qq'ing I'm expecting, I'm writing this to help provide what I think is a more balanced view of the skill.

First off... I'm using double redbeaks, a level 2 empower gem, and the +1 to gem helm (Geofri's Crest) giving me a level 23 bear trap.

That gives 14,781 - 20,695 phys damage with a level 20 culling strike. After the pvp damage reduction formula it translates to approximately 4-5k effective damage from the testing I've done.

So this bear trap is in a highly buffed state. It generally takes 2 bear traps to take down tanky characters (5k+ hpes). Conversely, a regular level 20 bear trap requires about 5-6 shots to take these guys down.

To me... that sounds relatively balanced compared to the one shot crit rf EK'ers and flicker strikers, etc...

I'm also basically a glass cannon (3k ES and no block), whereas many others have a lot more defense (5k hp+ and 75% block).

Now from the matches I've played, there are a number of counters available to bear trap.

Movement Skills

Having a movement skill (leap slam, whirling blades, lightning warp) is pretty much essential in pvp. You get trapped once, you move out of the way preventing successive traps from hitting you.

A movement skill is also a good way to transverse the pvp map to prevent getting trapped in the first place (you're on less effective area on the map).

Also, moving around a lot... not staying in one place for excessive amounts of times is a good counter in of itself to traps. If you're always moving, it's much harder to be hit.

Anti-Bear Trap Skills

If there are traps already on the ground, it's important to have a skill equipped that can take them out ahead of time. Skills like arc, fire storm, cold snap, skeletons, etc... can sweep the area and destroy any pre-existing traps.

Skills like leap slam, lightning warp, and cyclone can also take out traps although it seems somewhat unreliable. Sometimes the traps get destroyed, sometimes you get damaged.

It may sound funny I'm telling others how to counter my build, however I think traps have gotten a bad rap in pvp. If you know the counters, it's not so bad.

I also don't want to drive people away, from what I think is otherwise a great pvp platform with lots of potential.

tl;dr Bear traps can be strong but there are also a lot of counters, not unlike many other skills. However, if you're playing without a movement and anti-trap skill you're basically asking to get killed. It's part of having a well balanced character in pvp.

IGN: _Firebitch
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Oct 3, 2013, 2:32:48 PM
So I take it redbeaks 100% dmg on low life actually applies to traps? Does it apply to conventional spells aswell? I always just assumed it was = to more melee dmg on the sword..hahaha.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Oct 3, 2013, 4:09:20 PM
"
MullaXul wrote:
So I take it redbeaks 100% dmg on low life actually applies to traps? Does it apply to conventional spells aswell? I always just assumed it was = to more melee dmg on the sword..hahaha.

Ya 100% increased for basically any skill. Traps, spells, melee...
IGN: _Firebitch
I have been collecting gear for this. Just got the new boots but still a bit away on helm and boots. I think for LLD it will be insanely powerful now.
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info