How to run Life-based Righteous Fire. (Dismissed)

I've dismissed this build. It's a bit saddening, despite all the time invested in grinding, planning, and calculating, this build just didn't meet my expectations. Arguably, it works, however, it's too gear-dependent (and thus, expensive) and very little gratifying. I kinda hit a wall at level 7X, as mapping isn't very easy on this build. Many map mods hamper you a good tad, while a few render you helpless.

It's a bit annoying how few mechanics get me pulling my hairs: For example, since I depend on manaleech to chain fireballs, it turns out the leeching occurs AFTER resistances, as so, few mobs would leave me in a situation where shotgunning them would not return enough mana back. A few fireballs after, I'd be stuck. Another huge gripe with this is desync, if you're fireballing a dude where you think he is, and for some reason see fireballs explode, but no damage being dealt, it's either due to ground rubble, or, more likely, desync.

As such, I've dismissed this build, and am now selling all my gear (for whomever may be interested,) also, if you'd like to run Righteous Fire, I'd suggest my post under Ampli's guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/287751/page/28/#p4778482

For that, I'd suggest GMP Freeze Pulse. And for whatever it's worth I'm now running a Lightning Warp trap/totem build. I'll answer any queries @OldManInDiapers

TL;DR:
Spoiler
DISCLAIMER
Spoiler
This build is in no way made for Hardcore, nor is it intended to faceroll as a top tier build. You could say this build is more so oriented towards people who may be interested in trying something different/fun. It's not particularly cheap, and is not extremely team-friendly. However, it does "work" and can handle most map mods if the gear is good enough.

Firstly, you will find that most people tend to tell you NOT TO DO the following 3 things:
1)Use Righteous Fire without Shavronne's Wrappings and Pain attunement.
2)Use high-life in a Righteous Fire build.
3)Link Righteous Fire with Increased Burning support, nor take burning passives.

Well, I did all of those 3. Just for the lulz.

Alright, now that that's out of the way. This build is a hybrid, which means you will need to get some "Eldritch Battery" gear.

Secondly, you will need the following 2 uniques:

The plan here, is to achieve a modest life pool (I'm currently about to reach 2000)
Having gotten 60% increased burning from passives, 60% from the support gem:
I'm dealing 4400 fire damage to myself per second (mitigated down to 484 from 89 resist)
At the same time, I'm dealing 2200 fire damage per second to mobs around me.

In order to sustain 484 burn per second, I've gotten 9.6% life regenerated per second via passives, vitality, and the unique ring. In order for that 9.6% to cover 484, you will need 5040 energy shield.

What all this means, is that as long as your life-to-energy shield is in a 2:5 ratio, you'll be more than fine.
(Life * 2.5 = ES)
(Es / 2.5 = Life)

So, now that that's out of the way, and running off itself, what next? Well, having zealot's oath and the Shavronne's Ring means you won't be regenerating life NOR mana. You will have to link some of your spells to blood magic to distribute your resources. This is why you need to have your main spell linked to mana-leech.

Every time you miss your spell, you'll have lost mana permanently, which is why I've opted not to get any cast speed, and focus on aiming. Since you're eating up your life/mana casting spells, I've also taken Life Gain on Killing Blow, and Mana Gain on Killing Blow passives to help me regen my sources back up.

Having focused on burning, I've chosen to use Fire Trap in conjunction with Fireball, and Molten Shell for defenses.

FLASK SETUP
Spoiler
Hallowed Hybrid Flask (extra charges + dispel shock)
Ruby Flask (charge recovery + curse immune)
Granite Flask (charge recovery + extra armour)
Swiftness Flask (extra charges + dispel bleed)
Swiftness Flask (extra charges + dispel frozen)

SKILL SETUP
Spoiler
Fireball - Life Leech - Mana Leech - LMP - Crit Chance/Mult - Fire Pen

Righteous Fire - Increased Burning Damage - Increased AOE

Fire Trap - Increased Burning Damage - Chance to Ignite - Increased AOE

Purity - Vitality - Reduced Mana

Discipline - Flammability - Blood Magic - Faster Casting

Molten Shell - Increased Duration - Faster Casting - Blood Magic.

MAP MODS
Spoiler
Vulnerability - Remove "Increased Burning" support.
Minus Max Resist - Remove "Increased Burning" support or No Righteous Fire (depends on gear)
Half Regen - Remove "Increased Burning" support or No Righteous Fire (depends on gear)
Elemental Weakness - overcap on Resist by 50, remove "Increased Burning" support, or No RF.
Blood Magic - No Righteous Fire
No Regen - No Righteous Fire
Chaos Per Second - Chug dem Hybrid Flasks, or abandon ship!
Elemental Equilibrium - suck it up, team up, or swap your fireball (arctic breath?)

If you have any questions, I'll be more than glad to address them. All input is welcome too!

EDITS!

After coming to the realization that concentrated effect shotgun would not work on single-target mobs (and increase the mana cost per-cast by a gross amount) I've opted it out. Given that my chest is GGRBB linked, (and asking for more off-coloring would be asking too much) I'm now aiming at possibly using critical strikes. Contemplating the possibility of using a Divinarius, as all stats would then be cohesive. Only downside is that my current wand's dps is more reliable.

PASSIVES (level 80)

BANDITS
Spoiler
Oak (40 flat life)
Kill all (passive)
Kill all (passive)

CURRENT GEAR AND STATS (Level 71)
Spoiler

1.2k dps tooltip on fireball (x3 due to LMP)
1650'ish life
4900 ES
1810 dps from RF
Last edited by lucksickle on Oct 11, 2013, 5:02:14 PM
Anyone? Anything? :/
I don't understand how this is life based. You are still basing your hit points on energy shield and you take Ghost Reaver, which is energy shield based. Basically, all you're doing is taking more life than a typical Righteous Fire build, making it harder to sustain that degen. Either way, I do like fire damage builds and would be interested in some videos of that Marauder in action to accompany the wall of text, that I did read all of.

Also, I don't think you meant to say "Eldritch Battery" gear. This implies you intend to turn your energy shield into mana at some point.

Either way, new, out-of-the-box type builds are always fun and exciting. Keep it up.
SynTrSr - Trickster Soulrend/Bane
"
generaldave wrote:
I don't understand how this is life based. You are still basing your hit points on energy shield and you take Ghost Reaver, which is energy shield based. Basically, all you're doing is taking more life than a typical Righteous Fire build, making it harder to sustain that degen.

Well, I meant-life based as in using RF for the damage more than for the spell booster. However, yes, you use ES as your hitpoints (as well as life if it seeks in that far)

"
generaldave wrote:
Either way, I do like fire damage builds and would be interested in some videos of that Marauder in action to accompany the wall of text, that I did read all of.

I'm currently level 70, and waiting for the league transfer to feed my build better gear and progress up to 80. I unfortunately have shitty internet, so streaming isn't really an option. I'd be more than glad to have someone else film what I do - however, with upcoming patch, I believe this is probably best for later, once working out the quirks of the new passive tree is through.

"
generaldave wrote:
Also, I don't think you meant to say "Eldritch Battery" gear. This implies you intend to turn your energy shield into mana at some point.

What I mean with "Eldritch Battery" GEAR as in High-ES and High-Life gear.

"
generaldave wrote:
Either way, new, out-of-the-box type builds are always fun and exciting. Keep it up.

Will do.
Last edited by lucksickle on Oct 6, 2013, 12:49:01 PM
I had a similar idea for a hybrid build righteous fire.

I also thought about using a q shock nova + static blows linked too iron will/blood magic/ele prolif. Also using 2 or 3 curses + elemental equilibrium to increase as much as possible the burn damage. The last addition was the blood dance + conduit for the regen and utility, and using frenzy with a wand linked to life gain on hit to regen the life.

The build looked like this :

"
You could use something like OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) to record a video to put on YouTube or something. Of course, with bad internet, the upload might take forever. And, yeah, I see what you mean by "Eldritch Battery" gear now. That does make sense.
SynTrSr - Trickster Soulrend/Bane
"
Papyrazzi wrote:
I had a similar idea for a hybrid build righteous fire.

I also thought about using a q shock nova + static blows linked too iron will/blood magic/ele prolif. Also using 2 or 3 curses + elemental equilibrium to increase as much as possible the burn damage. The last addition was the blood dance + conduit for the regen and utility, and using frenzy with a wand linked to life gain on hit to regen the life.

The build looked like this :

"

Ah, I see.

I was actually leveling ice nova / shock nova / fireball all at the same time. Ice nova yielded laughable dps.

The issue with shock nova (for me) was that even with conc. effect, the ring would never go within RF. I'd only then be able to hit mobs OUTSIDE of Righteous Fire. I didn't enjoy the kite - shock maneuvers as far as melee mobs go either, and being that I cannot regen mana, its erratic lightning damage would cause inconsistencies with sustain. (ex: shock nova consumes much mana, deals ~100 ish damage, you're out of mana)

This bit, I know is personal, but I wasn't very good at aiming the shock nova, so that didn't help either. Whites would die by the time I shocked stacked them. And dealing with a single mob felt harder in this situation.

I also chose to go with fireball for a second reason. Pairing it with multiproj makes it so you can use it as both multi target (spread shot) and single target (shotgun)

As far as frenzy goes, I tried doing this as well. I personally didn't like the feel of danger when your charges wear off between packs, and am not very keen on using a burn dispel flask to "turn it off" and then have to recast. This is why I tried to make a perma-sustain build.

That much is my feedback at least. And on a final note: I found a way to make ampli's build work:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/287751/page/28/#p4778482
(the last comment)
Last edited by lucksickle on Oct 6, 2013, 1:38:04 PM
Shock nova with this amount or strenght with iron will + righteous fire spell damage can easely deal enough damage to shock most mobs. Also the quelity of shock increase drasticaly the shock duration. You don't need actually to use it for the damage but linked with life leech as a support spell.

Also, something that i wanted to try is to link 2 righteous fire gem : 1 with increase burning damage and 1 without see if you can by casting the nonlinked one while the other one is running reduce the damage you take to increase your regen. Like being able to chose between damage and regen.
"
Papyrazzi wrote:
Shock nova with this amount or strenght with iron will + righteous fire spell damage can easely deal enough damage to shock most mobs. Also the quelity of shock increase drasticaly the shock duration. You don't need actually to use it for the damage but linked with life leech as a support spell.

I understand that much, but my point with the lower damage bracket is with regards to manaleech. level 20 shock nova deals 35-656 base, while fireball deals 297-446 base. What this means is that an 'unlucky' shock nova will deal way too little damage for mana leech to repay itself, and thus a chain of bad rolls will render you helpless (or make you use your single hybrid flask way more often.) On the other hand, the 297 lower bound of fireball is much more reliable when trying to stabilize your mana output/input and thus keep fireballs going on.

Also, I personally dislike the interaction of shock nova's outer rim hitting targets OUTSIDE of righteous fire.

"
Papyrazzi wrote:
Also, something that i wanted to try is to link 2 righteous fire gem : 1 with increase burning damage and 1 without see if you can by casting the nonlinked one while the other one is running reduce the damage you take to increase your regen. Like being able to chose between damage and regen.

Hum... the overwrite idea is interesting. Haven't tried that myself - will do so once we migrate back to STD/HC and let you know my results.
UPDATED!

"
Papyrazzi wrote:

This unfortunately does not work. Tested, once burn buff is up, you cannot cast RF again, despite it being from a different gem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info