Finally, New Computer

specs at bottom. PoE garbage alpha/beta optimization story below :P.

After several long years of being tormented by the shortcomings of my computer, I've finally rid myself of it and put together an amazing computer for my purposes.

I've been plagued with an inability to adequately run PoE since I first got into alpha, once I got that email I was extremely excited to try out a game that looked very promising, it had been a very long time since I had the privilege of really enjoying an ARPG, and from the first image I saw of PoE I was actually fairly convinced that it would be the ARPG I've been searching for. I love the art style.

So I download alpha, try and give it a go, and the game freezes first thing. Try again, same results, play around with video settings, same thing. It turns out that the water in the first level of act 1 requires something that my old old graphics card couldn't handle. The devs attempted a few quick fixes to see if they could get it resolved and allow me to play as soon as possible, unfortunately for whatever reason the fixes didn't work on my machine(but they did work on others). Heartbroken, eventually it came to pass that there was a character in act 2 and I finally got to actually play PoE and I fell in love instantly. I was using ice spear, one of the first skills I got to see a sneak preview of, and I suspected I'd like the skill just from the screenshot. I still love using it to this day.

I upgraded my graphics card, something like an ATI x1950 pro to ATI HD 6850, which allowed me to play through the game somewhat well, I had to use the lowest settings on basically everything to play the game.

It sufficed for awhile, but once race seasons started happening in open beta it became extremely apparent that my computer was really holding me back in being able to play PoE as well as I know I can play it. Long loading times, framerate drops forcing me to play extremely safe as well as in many cases resulting in my deaths at the hands of some boss.

Now I have my new computer, so no more excuses. Except desync.

Old:Intel core 2 duo 2.3ghz/ATI HD 6850/2 gb ram/130gb hdd/win xp 32-bit

New:Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4ghz(haven't overclocked it yet)/GTX 760/8 gb ram/128 gb ssd/1 tb hdd/win 7 64-bit

Runs PoE beautifully, it's actually a little disorienting because I'm so used to playing PoE looking/performing the other(shitty) way. It's going to take some getting used to.
Gratulation.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Try playing Planetside 2.

You'll easily run at highest settings, however, it's not all that well optimized, so your bottleneck will be the CPU.

Oh and make sure you don't use the stock fan from intel. I had so many overheating issues with it.
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Nice, Sept.
Glad you will finally be able to take in the glory of all that is Wraeclast!
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
"
Fire_Kid wrote:
Try playing Planetside 2.

You'll easily run at highest settings, however, it's not all that well optimized, so your bottleneck will be the CPU.

Oh and make sure you don't use the stock fan from intel. I had so many overheating issues with it.

Thanks for the recommendations, my temperatures are fantastic right now but I'll be monitoring them closely for the next week or so to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary.
GZ those specs are looking pretty schmexy
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info