WTB: Non-USA native to answer a few cultural questions

I’m doing an assignment for one of my university classes in which I must question somebody from another country about their culture. Since I’m generally fairly shy and don’t really know anybody from another country, I figured I would post this here and see if some kind soul could provide me some answers. (If you need a bribe, I can pay 1 pure exalted in Onslaught or Hardcore)

If you could answer the following questions in 1-2 paragraphs (or at least enough detail for me to know what you’re talking about) that would be fantastic (bonus points for specific examples):

1) What country are you from? Are there any cultural separations between portions of your country? (An example of this for the US is Texas vs. the entire rest of the US) What is it like in your country? Generally peaceful/stable/distinct class structure/etc

2) What generally defines a person’s influence in your society? It is a meritocracy, where you have to earn your influence, or is it more based on connections and familial standings?

3) Are you expected to follow a leader without question, or are you allowed/encouraged to voice your disagreements with those in power/leadership positions? Is this true for government leaders as well as workplace leaders, or do they differ?

4) In your society, are boys more encouraged to become educated than girls? Is this true for grade school as well as university/college?

5) In your society, do you have clearly defined societal requirements and instructions (common knowledge) that dictate how you should behave?

6) Going along with 5, do you have clearly defined rules or laws that cover all/some/few situations that might arise?

7) Is being accepted by other members of a group important in your society, or is being a loner considered socially acceptable?

Again, if you take the time to answer these, it will be a huge help, and I will be truly grateful. Feel free to PM your answers if you'd rather not have it be on the forums.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
"
RulerofAsgard wrote:

If you could answer the following questions in 1-2 paragraphs (or at least enough detail for me to know what you’re talking about) that would be fantastic

[removed by admin]
"
cronk wrote:
"
RulerofAsgard wrote:

If you could answer the following questions in 1-2 paragraphs (or at least enough detail for me to know what you’re talking about) that would be fantastic

Dude, your questions are longer than 1-2 paragraphs. People write books about this stuff, big books, big books which still leave lots of stuff out. They've probably made you read lots of big books about it.

I'm aware, I just need the broadest outline based on personal perception, not a detailed analysis based on hard facts. The resulting paper from the answers to these questions will only be 2-3 pages long; I just need enough description to comprehend your stance so I can compare it to my stance on the question.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Sorry to say it, but if these questions are made to reach a scientific result, you should change your university....FAST!!!!
"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
1) What country are you from? Are there any cultural separations between portions of your country? (An example of this for the US is Texas vs. the entire rest of the US) What is it like in your country? Generally peaceful/stable/distinct class structure/etc

[removed by admin]

"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
2) What generally defines a person’s influence in your society? It is a meritocracy, where you have to earn your influence, or is it more based on connections and familial standings?

[removed by admin]

"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
3) Are you expected to follow a leader without question, or are you allowed/encouraged to voice your disagreements with those in power/leadership positions? Is this true for government leaders as well as workplace leaders, or do they differ?

[removed by admin]

"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
4) In your society, are boys more encouraged to become educated than girls? Is this true for grade school as well as university/college?

[removed by admin]

"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
5) In your society, do you have clearly defined societal requirements and instructions (common knowledge) that dictate how you should behave?

[removed by admin]

"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
6) Going along with 5, do you have clearly defined rules or laws that cover all/some/few situations that might arise?

[removed by admin]

"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
7) Is being accepted by other members of a group important in your society, or is being a loner considered socially acceptable?

[removed by admin]
"
Moonlight33 wrote:
Sorry to say it, but if these questions are made to reach a scientific result, you should change your university....FAST!!!!

[removed by admin]
"
cronk wrote:
"
Moonlight33 wrote:

Yes, I can't honestly believe a university is asking people to submit short-stereotype as a means to intellectual advancement.

If it is supposed to be based on personal perception and not facts then I can see how a short 2-3 page paper can suffice.

Maybe they will later have to compare it to 'facts' out of those big books someone here talked about and come to a conclusion how differences between personal perception and 'facts' come to be.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Sep 16, 2013, 7:16:09 AM
"
Sneakypaw wrote:

If it is supposed to be based on personal perception and not facts then I can see how a short 2-3 page paper can suffice.

Maybe they will later have to compare it to 'facts' out of those big books someone here talked about and come to a conclusion how differences between personal perception and 'facts' come to be.

Nope, don´t agree. The very first mistake that no serious study would do, is the mixup of "Nation" and "Society". Take for example the Amish in the USA: They are a society with their very own rules, but still exist within a nation with different rules.

And beside point 4 by answering all the other questions, you will find out that every society got the same structures. There will be a wide variety of these structures, but still they exist. Wether you call it law or traditions, there is certain rules of behaviour for their members.

In all existing societies you are better off with an acknowledged family background and the right friends. Whereas every society allows a certain amount of individuals to improve their social rank because of certain merits.

Loners are not socially worshipped nowhere, cause they represent a factor of uncertainty of the rest of the members.

And so on, so on, so on.....

If these questions are made to find out how the variations to upper questions influence the stability of societies or nations, it is also invalid. A societies stability is directly correlated to the living standard of its members. It does not matter,wether you have a democracy or a dictatorship: As soon as a majority of people live in pauverty your society will be history and gone.
[removed by admin]
"
cronk wrote:
Well... where's my exalted?

bam... scammed :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info