Could not overwrite executable with new patched executable.

The launcher goes through the normal patching procedure for 0.9.12j, updating Content.ggpk, but doesn't seem to want to update the Client.exe. I'll overwrite it by hand and report the results.

The file sizes are on the left.
7358752 Sep 19 22:43 Client.exe
7354656 Sep 20 17:35 Client.tmp

Edit: some people in game have patched this just fine, so I'm guessing it has to do with how wine acts. Although I don't know why it would act that way.
Last edited by ionface on Sep 20, 2012, 8:50:02 PM
You can fix this by deleting PathOfExile.exe and renaming PathOfExile.tmp to PathOfExile.exe. We're looking into the cause of this problem.
Balance & Design
Last edited by Dan_GGG on May 3, 2014, 4:35:53 AM
"
Rory wrote:
You can fix this by deleting Client.exe and renaming ...

No! You move the old tested exe to someplace safe first. Oh right, recycle bins.
"
Rory wrote:
You can fix this by deleting Client.exe and renaming Client.tmp to Client.exe. We're looking into the cause of this problem.

And when this doesn't work? Because it doesn't.

Additional details:

The first time I tried this fix, when the 1.1.3 patch started to download it was 9.40Mb in size. Every attempt before that and every attempt after this first, the 1.1.3 patch is stating that it is only 9.1Mb. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything...but the quick fix does not work.

Everyone else has problems with Comodo or firewalls, that isn't the case for me. Even after disabling both, the problem remains. The only thing I have not tried thus far is deleting and reinstalling the full game.
This thread is ancient.. of course it doesn't work anymore.

The Client.exe was renamed to PathOfExile.exe a LONG time ago. Now, you rename PathOfExile.exe to something else like PathOfExile.old... then rename the PathOfExile.tmp to PathOfExile.exe and run it.

That works.
Also.. don't necro-bump or revive old threads. Instead, you should post your own NEW thread with a clear description of the problem and we can assist you. It doesn't generally do any good to dig up a 2 year old thread with irrelevant information, and it does LESS good for us to continue discussing the problem here as it keeps the ancient thread active. Let this one die, and create a new one for any problem you have.

Please read the "Rules" sticky thread for more information.
Last edited by Drakier on May 3, 2014, 1:05:13 PM
In order to alleviate any confusion, I've renamed the executable in Rory's post to PathofExile.exe
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
Ive encountered this same problem before, and its usually a permissions issue. Check the permissions on the file in question. Sometimes juggling files to and from NTFS drives obliterates the perms.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on May 3, 2014, 12:27:33 PM
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
In order to alleviate any confusion, I've renamed the executable in Rory's post to PathofExile.exe

That's good, but now how will I fix my problem from 2 years ago?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info