Al+ tab hurts

I know I have seen this mentioned somewhere but I can't find it on forums, maybe it was just in global chat. I'm sorry if this is a known issue, at least it is not listed in the dedicated thread.

I was doing this map with patches of burning ground and my ranger's life regeneration is simply higher than the damage of the patches. If I let her stand on one it makes the burning animation but the life orb doesn't move at all. I checked this carefully, it stays at 100% for minutes. But when I 'alt+tab' to desktop, it seems like things change because when I go back to the game, I can see the life is not full any more, it regenerates up to 100% and stays there. I tried this multiple times, there were no monsters or anything else to hurt my character.

I'm not sure whether the life loss is one time thing or if I continuosly lose health while the client window is not active. It is really hard to tell and I don't wanna die so I never left the client minimized for long. But it seems like it doesn't actually keep burning life because no matter how long (but it wasn't really that long even on the longest try) I left the client minimized it never made my life go under 50% (and I think it never got under 90% either to be honest).
✠ ✠
I'll test this out! It'll be only on your client, your health will be fine on the server, but it's interesting that this happens, because it's technically impossible :P
Balance & Design
Interesting. Your response motivated me to look into it again and I managed to achieve similar results in windowed mode too. They were also more significant so I could capture it on video. Basically it seems like the ranger is losing health when I am moving the window, not during the time it is minimized. When in fullscreen the health loss must be only during some short period of time when the screen is black after restoring it or something like that.
Edit: the video
Note the disconnection at the end. If I hold the window long enough it always kicks me.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Sep 18, 2012, 9:40:06 AM
A little update, quite funny this time. I tried this with a lot of reserved life so I could actually die in the short period of time when the burn hurts my character. I used another character with good life regeneration and reserved most of his life with blood magic support gem lv2 + haste combination. I captured the results on video.

Basically when he died, I couldn't move and the character model disappeared. The aura and curse animation was still present. Death count didn't change and I didn't lose experience. The sound of dying duelist was played though.

The video.

Unfortunately I forgot to add click notifications so just imagine a click sound or something when I try to move the dead duelist around when his life is 0.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Sep 19, 2012, 9:15:32 AM
I think its pretty clear: when client is busy (being minimized/maximized in fullscreen; begin dragged around in windowed; or having extreme fps lag) the packet send/recv thread is paused, therefore you dont receive or send packets to/from server. This causes desynchro (in this case - with health) or disconnect, if ping packet was not received/sent for too long.

wiggin
I wonder if you was still alive when you "died". Can you check if you lost experience, after you "die" and relogin?
It seems like there was no experience loss even after relogging.
✠ ✠
So it's pure client-server desynchronization problem :)
Indeed, the interesting part is that it always behaves this way and can be esily reproduced. Also that drinking a flask 'revives' you is funny.

I can imagine this being 'dangerous' sometimes, just as any desynchronization can be.
✠ ✠

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info