Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

[1.1.0] The Covenant Pulser (7,500 life/ES + 14,600 dps x 3) (Videos)

Where does the idea of a character using the Covenant Robe comes from ?

Spoiler
A couple of days ago, in this post, I was bitching about the uselessness of the Covenant Robe :

My main problem with the item was that blood magic and energy shield do not mix well. After all, when you are using any skill with blood magic, you can't regen your energy shield. So, what was the idea behing a 300 es/20 int item that grant blood magic ?

But then, I realized that there are now some solutions to this problem. First, you can use shavronne revevation :

The "right ring" version of this item provides a permanent 4% energy shield regen per second at the cost of 0% mana regeneration. When you use blood magic, this isn't really a cost. The real cost of this item is its price : several exalted in standard.

But you can also take the Zealot's Oath Keystone (Life regeneration applies to energy shield instead of life) and then take some life regen % passives.

Another solution is to take the Zealot's Oath keystone and then use the blood dance boots :

"Up to 30% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill" + "1% life regen per frenzy charge". So, with 0 extra frenzy charges and the ZO keystone, you get 3% energy shield regen from this item. As a bonus, you also get +6% casting speed and +9% increased damage against enemies on low life.

So, with these solutions in mind, I decided to theorycraft a "Covenant Caster build.

This build would stack both life and energy shield. Using blood magic, no passives needs to be spent in mana or mana regeneration. Also, you can generally afford much higher mana cost spells with blood magic because a life pool can be much higher than any mana pool. In addition, you can leech life at a much higher rate than you can leech mana (20% of max life per second, vs 12.5% of max mana per second). Finally, the life leech gem leech more life per cast than the mana leech gem (8.8% vs 5.1% at gem level 20)

So, what main skill to use ? A spell or an attack ? A spell would be the best choice because spells do not require much auras for max efficiency while most attacks are best used with all 3 elemental auras. Since the build would reserve auras on life, you definitively don't want to run too many of them. Also, typically, spells and support gems for spells are blue gems and you'll want to link your main skill in the intelligence based (blue) chest.

So, which spell ? A spell that works well with the mandatory support gem : Added chaos dmg. So, ideally, you want a spell with a fast cast time and not too much damage effectiveness penalty. You also want a spell-support combo that would be difficult to support on mana only. Given these criterias, there are still lots of possibilities, but before building your passive tree, you have to choose. So I chose Freezing Pulse. Why Freezing pulse ? Its the fastest spell in the game that doesn't have a damage effectiveness penalty. Also, at 6%, its base critical chance is high. And passives spent in critical chance/damage are good for this build because they also improve the chaos damage. I also like the defensive aspect of a cold-based spell.

In a 5L chest, I'd link Freezing Pulse (23 mana at level 20) with Critical Damage (1.3), Faster casting (1.2), Lesser Multiple Projectile (1.5), life leech (1.3) and the mandatory Added Chaos Damage (1.5 mana multiplier) for a grand total of 105 mana (or life) per cast.

With a life leech of 8.8%, that means that you need to deal at least 1193 damage per cast to recover the amount of life spent.

At level 20, Freezing pulse deals an average of 228 damage per cast. With a level 15 added chaos dmg, you add 117 damage to that amount, so 345 damage. Lesser Multiple Projectile reduces that amount by 30%, so 241 damage, but then multiply it by 3 (2 additional projectiles that can shotgun) for a total of 723 damage. Let's assume that you can get about +150% spell damage from gear/support gem. That bring us to 1808 damage per cast. Easily enough to cover the life cost of the spell. I know, that doesn't take resists or crits into account, but it gives us a good enough idea to start building the passives tree. Another thing to note before picking up the passives is that chaos damage makes up more than 34% of your total damage output, so the best passives to increase damage are not +cold dmg or +elemental dmg, but rather +spell damage, +projectile damage, +cast speed and +crit chance and dmg.

So, I successfully leveled up a shadow using the Covenant Robe, Freezing Pulse and Shavronne revelation ring. The character, Bloodpulser, is now level 86 and using the following passive tree :

Spoiler
[urlhttp://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBAnEC4wL-BLMHpQj0DkgRLxFQEZYUTRXnFm8WvxdUGYUaOBpsHwIigSSqJpUpTypbLJwtHzGINsU26TrYO-FBlkLDRKtJsk3YVUtVrlXGVkpd8mHiYqxmT20ZcFJw1XkDf8aBSYFvghCCm4fbi3qMNox2jjyOZI9Gj6aQVZUEmZqdo52qna6ePJ6hogCio6cIpyunhK-bsji0OLb3tvrAUcBUwfPPZdDQ0hnVT9ad1tHYJN5334TfsOL342rjhOQi5RnrY-w48B_z6vem-_X8qw==[/url]

A Covenant Pulser using Blood Dance boots + Zealot's Oath would need to pick up Zealot Oath Keystone. The adjusted build would look like this :

Gear and skills set up

Spoiler

Offense

Main skill is Freezing Pulse. Supported by Increased Critical damage, faster casting, Lesser Multiple projectiles, life leech, added lightning damage and level 15 Added Chaos Damage deals 12,750 dps. With 3 power charges, it deals 14,584 dps. Power charges comes from cast when damage taken + Ice Spear + GMP + Power charges on Crit combos :

A surprisingly reliable way to get power charges btw.

As a secondary source of dps, I use Flame Totem. Socketed in Voidbringer gloves, the skill benefits from the "+1 to elemental gems in this item" mod. Supported by Fire penetration (that also get +1), faster casting and Increased critical damage, it deals 6,563 dps. With 3 Power charges, dps jumps to 7,381. If we add the bonus dps provided by a level 21 Fire Penetration (36% more damage), the dps is 10,038. Pretty impressive for a secondary 4L skill.

Defense : In term of defense, we end up with a character with a very respectable amount of life (+203% life with the Covenant robe), decent energy shield (+168%) and the block% provided by a shield.

At level 86, my character has 4097 life, 3462 energy shield, max resists, 15% chance to evade and 12% physical dmg reduction (with 3 endurance charges).

Auras : None. (With the 1.0 changes to Auras, Discipline and Grace auras that were once possible are out of the question)

Curses: Elemental weakness. Since I deal significant amount of fire damage (Flame totem) and lightning damage (Added lightning dmg), I'd rather use Elemental weakness than Frostbite.

Bandit rewards :

Normal (Resist, Life or Passive point)
Cruel (Passive point)
Merciless (Passive point)

Gameplay Videos :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX8oaJ_cqDI (At level 83 with a 5L. Level 72 map)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dXeHPpe4JM (At level 85 with a 6L. Level 73 map)
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
Last edited by Velkor on Apr 1, 2014, 3:15:43 PM
Just wanted to say that this was really interesting to read and I love the approach. Looking forward to see how you go, particularly in that you've constructed an item build that doesn't rely on dozens of exalts (although too bad about needing a Shavronne's Relevation).
Damn. I had almost exactly the same idea, stack hp and es with es regen. Couple other points though.

Aegis Aurora.

Incinerate. Damage effectiveness notwithstanding, added chaos ia very significant with that sort of skill. Also possibly consider firestorm.

Do let us know how it turns out.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
"
devoir wrote:
Just wanted to say that this was really interesting to read and I love the approach. Looking forward to see how you go, particularly in that you've constructed an item build that doesn't rely on dozens of exalts (although too bad about needing a Shavronne's Relevation).

Thanks ! But I'm not planning to use Shavronne's revelation. I think the energy shield regen provided by the Blood Dance Boots (3% or 4% with the extra Frenzy charge from Merciless bandit) should be enough !

The Voidbringer gloves are another nice option to get energy shield back when using bloodmagic. The increased 80% increased mana cost of skills is much easier to deal with when using bloodmagic and the 20 energy shield gained per kill allows energy shield regeneration while using bloodmagic skills or while in chaos damage map. The high energy shield and crit chance are icing on the cake.

So, my Covenant Pulser is level 46 now (IGN : Bloodpulser) and I'm not planning to use blooddance boots + Zealot's Oath anymore. My plan is to use either Shavronne revelation or the voidbringer gloves (or both) so that I can regen both energy shield and life at the same time. I'll probably pick up the 1% life regen in the ranger starting area.

So my final build will probably look like this :

Last edited by Velkor on Aug 29, 2013, 10:41:20 AM
Looks really cool. :)
Looking forward to read more as you progress with your char.

How do you plan your skill progression vaguely?
IGN: Scordalia_
Last edited by Caliginosus on Aug 29, 2013, 6:43:55 PM
At level 46, my skill tree is the following :

Since I'll only start using bloodmagic at level 49 (level requirement of the Covenant), I have to rely on mana for the first 48 levels. So, I tried to pick up as many int nods as possible while still getting nice dmg and survability nods. Until now, it worked out very nicely. With very average gear, I have something like 900 life and 650 energy shield and with 2 support gems only (lmp and faster projectile), freezing pulse is impressive. Even though I play very recklessly, I only died once or twice, so its very feasible for hardcore.
Ok, cool. Thanks for your reply! :)
Some updates :

The character is level 58 now. And here's the current state of the build :

I finally started using the Covenant :

Support gems are faster projectiles, faster casting, lmp and life leech. Once I get my hand on a quality freezing pulse, I may switch faster projectile for cold penetration.

I also bought a pair of voidbringer :

The increased mana cost hurts and I don't think the 19 es per kill is gonna cut it. I'll need to get the Shavronne revelation ring. The ES and crit chance is nice though.

My Dps right now is 1800 per projectile x 3 = 5400

I got 1452 life and 1667 es. I don't use disciple or grace yet. I'll need high level reduced mana gem first.

Also, my final build may be very different than what I planned at the beginning. I'm thinking about giving up the whole East section of the passive tree (too much passives wasted on int nods) and picking up Ondar's Guile. At the end, it may look like this :

Last edited by Velkor on Sep 27, 2013, 1:31:29 PM
Why did you drop Blood Dance? I understand it now, because your Skill Tree changed a lot, but before?

Besides of that, thanks again for the update. :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info