Disconnect death?

Recently I've been having a problem where I'll be playing and suddenly all monsters stop moving while I am still able to. I chalked this up to interuptions of service from my ISP so when it happened I would just relog and it would be fine. However when it happened today I logged in to see I was in standard. Shouldn't characters be logged out if disconnected? The dcing has been happening for a while, and this is the first time it killed me. So my 2 questions are: Do disconnects leave you logged in to the game, and do you know what can be causing these disconnects? I've checked and it's not my internet, nothing else stops working when poe dcs.

Oh and a sidenote, looking back it only seemed to happen in fellshrine, nowhere else.
Last edited by TechTML on Aug 19, 2013, 11:49:12 AM
"
TechTML wrote:
Recently I've been having a problem where I'll be playing and suddenly all monsters stop moving while I am still able to. I chalked this up to interuptions of service from my ISP so when it happened I would just relog and it would be fine. However when it happened today I logged in to see I was in standard. Shouldn't characters be logged out if disconnected? The dcing has been happening for a while, and this is the first time it killed me. So my 2 questions are: Do disconnects leave you logged in to the game, and do you know what can be causing these disconnects? I've checked and it's not my internet, nothing else stops working when poe dcs.

Oh and a sidenote, when I play in a party it never happens, only when I'm alone.

If ever you see creatures stop moving, and you're no longer able to do damage, it is because your service was disconnected. You WILL be disconnected from the server once you hit their timeout, but if you were in danger at time of disconnect, it is NOT instant, and chances are you will die.

To answer your questions directly...

1) Disconnects leave you logged into the game for a short while on the server, until the timeout happens. In some cases, the client will actually stay connected for a very long time, but you're just browsing around your local cached version of the map, and no longer interacting with the server (locally). The timeout on the server depends on a lot of factors. It can be as short as about 3 seconds, and take as long as 40 seconds in some cases.

2) Your internet disconnected for whatever reason. When you say "nothing else stops working" that can be very misleading. PoE requires a fully established "real-time" connection. If that connection is interrupted, you will becomes disconnected from the game servers. Many other things like YouTube, Stream Viewing, etc... those all require a "mostly established" connection. As long as you have enough bandwidth and internet to buffer a bit, you will see no interruption in service as long as the internet connection is restored before you finish playing the buffered content.

PoE is a lot more sensitive to disconnections due to the real-time nature of the game. Any interruption or latency will cause immediate issues within the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info