Vsync question

When I turn on vsync, my fps either goes to 50, 25 or as low as 15, but when I turn it off, it is always 120 to 150 (except in extreme situations like voidbearer or GMP fire ribbon crit spam)

Isn't vsync normally 60?

I was wondering if this is an issue with the game's vsync or my computer.

More general question, if it is my computer, would be, does this sound familiar to anyone? I am seeing slowdowns on youtube videos in fullscreen 1080p occasionally.

I am running an i5-3570k (quad-core) @ 3,40 GHz
16 GB 1666MHz RAM
2x ASUS NVidia CU II 580GTX in SLI

On a three-monitor setup.

I have set my SLI up to support all 3 monitors, but even if I unplug one of the screens and set SLI to full 3D performance it still sometimes has slowdowns, but I don't have as many crazy fps drops in Path of Exile with vsync on.

Thank you in advance for reading and I hope I can find someone that can help me.
Last edited by Magikaas on Aug 19, 2013, 7:10:56 AM
"
Magikaas wrote:
When I turn on vsync, my fps either goes to 50, 25 or as low as 15, but when I turn it off, it is always 120 to 150

If you read something about vsync on the net you will notice that vsync means vercital synchronization which in short means that your game will run on so many frames per second as refresh rate of your monitor is set in windows. It is usually 60 but some new gaming or 3d monitors has this refresh rate at 120Hz. So if you have normaly 120-150 FPS and you turn on Vsync it will drop to your monitor refresh rate but if your computer is not able for some reason to produce 60 FPS it will drop to 30, 15 etc... It's how vsync works but my english is not good enough to explain it here I recommend to use google to see how it works.

"
Magikaas wrote:

Isn't vsync normally 60?

No, it depends on refresh rate and also if your computer is able to produce enough FPS in particular game scene if not FPS can drop to half.

"
Magikaas wrote:

I am running an i5-3570k (quad-core) @ 3,40 GHz
16 GB 1666MHz RAM
2x ASUS NVidia CU II 580GTX in SLI

You have pretty powerfull rig which should be able to run this game just fine. Problem is game itself. It need more opmtimization which is going to be done but it will take some time. One big patch is going to be released tomorrow or day after that maybe it will help to solve your issues.
IGN : Mettiu
That's the thing, I can produce over double my monitor's refresh rate and in other games vsync syncs to 60, in this game it syncs to 50 and then to 25 at random times. Which was why6 I was confused.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to see if I set my refresh rates wrongly or something.
"
Magikaas wrote:
That's the thing, I can produce over double my monitor's refresh rate and in other games vsync syncs to 60, in this game it syncs to 50 and then to 25 at random times. Which was why6 I was confused.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to see if I set my refresh rates wrongly or something.

Sure check if everything is ok. It may be also vsync impelemntaion problem in game but it is still in beta and optimization needs to be done.
I've disabled ingame vsync and enabled it over the NVidia control panel in the per-game-settings. NVidia offers adaptive Vsync, meaning it keeps up dynamicly with your monitor refresh rate until the scene is to GPU intense, then it's auto disabled to have more power for the rendering (enabled VSync usualy costs some performance). You also can enable half-refresh rate vsync there if you have an 120Hz Monitor and want 60FPS to keep the GPU less stressed. Pretty nice feature imho. :)
Last edited by Fusion_Power on Aug 19, 2013, 6:01:12 PM
Vsync is GPU memory intense not GPU intense.
Yeah, but I have 16 GB 1666MHz RAM. So that should not slow me down.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the upcoming patch to see if that changes anything.

It does not particularly bother me, but just something I noticed.

Thanks for all the replies :)
"
Magikaas wrote:
Yeah, but I have 16 GB 1666MHz RAM. So that should not slow me down.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the upcoming patch to see if that changes anything.

It does not particularly bother me, but just something I noticed.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Maybe I was not clear. Memory on your graphic card not RAM which sits on your motherboard.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info