Arenas: Additional Endgame

This is a reaction to the thread Maps for end game isn't enough and Chris' comment:

"
Chris wrote:
What game have you guys played that had a great end-game? Please disregard any super content-heavy ones like MMORPGs that cost two hundred million dollars to make.

Edit: I'm not asking this rhetorically - I am interested in actually getting names of games to research.

I already posted in the Thread but I presume to write down my Idea again here, because I think it's actually good.
*smirkface*

My Idea is called Wraeclast Arena

Additional to Endgame Maps you are able to enter an Arena to fight an Infinite waves of Monsters.

These are the Features:

A) A possible new Map (similar to endgame) with a new NPC is now available.
It contains a NPC that offers you to fight in an Arena.
To do that you pay a fee in a form of currency Items.
I think of a new currency Item called "Arenatoken".
you'll find these from Bosses in Maps and the last difficulty, as well as a minor chance on high level rare mobs.
Normal arena fight costs 10 tokens.

B) You enter a relatively small map (enough space to move around and kite and so on) and then waves start.
The first waves are easy, monsters are normal and lower level than you.
Each wave it gets progressively harder, as monster numbers increase and level as well.
Every 5 stages a rare monster is added and every 10 you fight a Boss.

B+)
Spoiler
Monsterlevel start at level 60, every 5 waves it increases by 1, rare mob of course is 2 levels above that, and bosses 3 (so wave 10 the boss is lvl 65, wave 20 the boss is lvl 67 and so on)

C) Monsters do not give EXP nor do they Drop Items.
When you die you drop out of the arena (this prevents permadeath for Hardcorecharacters) and get payed in EXP and an Item (that is equal level as the monsters in your last wave)

C+)
Spoiler
Exp is based upon how many waves you beat, you get extras for each boss you killed. And GGG could build in a Clock that counts how long you took to reach a certain stage/wave and give bonus EXP for that.
You cannot leave the arena, unless you die.
The price item is Random, as well as one is identified and then there are like 5 others that are not, so you might go with the one you know what it does or you gamble.

D) You get 2 Arentokens back for each 10 waves (aka bosses) you kill in the Arena. So if you beat 50 waves you get your 10 tokens back and can dive in the arena right away. if you don't make it to wave 51 you go back to Maps, farm EXP, Items and Arenatokens that drop more often in Maps (like a 50% chance for Mapbosses)

E)There is a ladder on the Website showing you who made it to what stage, this lets people compete in a PVE fashion, just like your Character Level.
It will motivate people to reach higher stages in the Arena than anyone else. This will help building up an endless Endgame.

F)Additionally to the normal Arenamode (infinite waves of monsters progressively becoming stronger) you can have special Arena modes.
You either unlock them while playing the game or reach arenastages. or GGG makes weekly special Arena Events.
These Special Arenas cost more Tokens
Like 20 instead of 10. Also you won't get a refund for Tokens when you play them.

F+)
Spoiler
Arena Modes:
>Survivalarena - 5 min against a really Hard mob. (you can make difficultys like "insane mode: survice 10 min instead")
>Themearena - Waves only full of Undead and Necromancers.(or any other type of enemy)
>Timemode - Kill all waves in X min.
>Puzzlearena - Find 10 hidden Items in the arena in time (Map might look like a maze, and might be filled with monsters, insane mode "kill X bosses to get the last hidden items)
>TrapArena - The arena has patches of tar/ice/fire, falling sealing or w/e you can think of.
>more to come later (you as a reader can add ideas too ;D)

If you fail in these you won't get anything.

F2) Prices in Special Arenas are different.
>You get a unique item that you can see before entering the arena. but only if you beat the whole special arena, if you fail you won't get anything.
>get special prices like, refund points, link all sockets in one item, make the color of all sockets to red/green/blue, give item max sockets, personalize an item with your characters name (like in D2LOD act5)
>skillpoints?
>high level maps that you won't get otherwise (like lvl 80 maps)
>[...]
>additional Ideas:
Spoiler
If you beat for example the timearena, the price you get is "add +x% attackspeed on a magical or rare item that doesn't have full mods allready.
Or you make "Questarenas" that you have to beat first in order to unlock the special version of it like:
"Survival Questarena - Survive 5 min, as a reward your maximum endurance charges are increased by 1. after that you can do survival mode over and over again and your reward would be "add +xlife mod to an item" or something like this

G) Add rare waves with no monsters and maybe only a chest that gives loot or an arena token
(make a very rare one with 3 chest, you can only open one, one has all 10 tokens in it, the others nothing) move to the next wave after opening.

H)When you reach stage 100 in normal arena mode you get a special Unique Item that is called "Champions [...]".
This shows that you beat the arena.
But it doesn't stop there. monsters will just become higher level (even above 100).
Last edited by KenshiD on Sep 13, 2012, 8:30:43 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I love it. This is almost exactly what was in Lineage 1. It's not only really really fun, but it creates a pve competition THAT DOES NOT SIMPLY FAVOR THOSE WITH LOTS OF FREE TIME TO GRIND. Right now, ladder top 10 simply reflects how much time people grind. With this arena, the top 10 will reflect who was actually able to play the best.

Points should not be cumulative. That is, if you make it to wave 50 10 times, you won't be ranked higher than someone who made it to wave 51. ONLY the furthest wave is considered for ranking, otherwise this would just be another grind fest.

For the record, I'm not bashing people who play 10 hours a day. I used to do the same. But I have a job and a wife now, and I still have a competitive spirit.

With this arena, I can compete using skill, and not merely time invested. Please consider this GGG.
Oh man, I'm usually not much for end-game stuff (prefer to level new builds), but I would definitively play this.

+1 for a great idea
yeahe sounds nice

one +1 from me for this :)

edit: and a 2 player coop arena mode would be good too but only 2 player, not more.
IGN: kReiZy
Last edited by sYkoDe4d on Sep 13, 2012, 11:56:42 AM
It is pretty good but i think the hardcore players will have their say too. Since death for them is a free tix to softcore mode.

Anyway +1
No food in fridge... Beer it is.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Now lets hope DEVs see this and find at least half of it good and possible to build in the game.

"
bitedefer wrote:
It is pretty good but i think the hardcore players will have their say too. Since death for them is a free tix to softcore mode.

Anyway +1

That's why you don't really die in the arena but just get kicked out.

The only penalty is that you have to find new Arenatokens.
Last edited by KenshiD on Sep 13, 2012, 12:02:31 PM
This sounds like fun, nice idea.
I agree, great idea!
MonstaMunch: "You're just jelly because you can't afford to mirror my rod. It's 100% reel."

GooberM: "How does that not warrant a good ol' stabby-stabby?"
I think this idea is great! I would like to see a pvp stadium too though!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to always tell the difference.
Guys be sure to sign this thread if you like this idea. Hopefully we can give GGG a representation of how many people would like to have this in the game. Would hate to see this get buried and forgotten.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info