The downloader is slowing down my computer

Is this normal? The kind of slowdown is like as if the hard drive is being bombarded by something, e.g. every couple of seconds my mouse would freeze for a split second, context menus can take several seconds, playing video files including youtube takes forever, etc.

And, the download speed is doing weird things. It would be at 0 kb/s, sometimes bytes, sometimes a fraction of my maximum download speed, sometimes it is blazing fast. I started the download about 10 hours ago there is still 2 gigs left.

Is it my old computer(especially the hard drive) or is this a common problem?

Windows 7 64-bit
Athlon X3 450 (not overclocked)
4GB RAM
8800GT
320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.something there is only like 60 GB of free space left (does this have anything to do with the stutters?)

Last edited by Confusedd on Sep 12, 2012, 7:34:59 AM
It sounds like your hard drive is probably quite fragmented, which can cause the patcher to have to seek a lot when accessing the pack file. This could cause the issues you described.

I would suggest defragmenting your hard drive. It's likely that doing so will also help with loading times after the game is installed as well.
The more data is on the drive, the more it will fragment over time. Shoot for about 30% free space as a minimum and you won't have the same problem again later, after defragmenting.
Last edited by Roenie on Sep 12, 2012, 10:53:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info