Question about unique item's ilevel and sockets

do unique items have an inherent item level, or is item level determined by where the item drops? basically i want to know if any unique item get the maximum number of sockets for its item type, or if the value of a given unique fluctuates wildly based on its item level. cause it seems a little unfair if you can't tell an item's ilvl before you buy it, and you get stuck with a lvl 20 searing touch that can only get 3 sockets when you want a lvl 55 one that can get 6.
Last edited by Dryhumper on Aug 16, 2012, 6:13:01 PM
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/44366/highlight/

This may help. I scoured the history trying to find one post that explained maximum sockets by ilevel, but this was the best I could find. It actually seems more related to your query anyway. :)
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
ty for reply. it sounds like it works the way i was afraid it does. i hope they change that eventually, cause it seems really unfair that you have to trust people to tell you what ilvl something is, and risk buying a crappy unique that can only get 2 or 3 sockets
You make a very good point. Looking into this now.

Edit: apparently what would be best (showing ilevel in the trading window) has 'some complexity to it' but it's a desired function. I'm sure this will be addressed, because it leaves the door pretty wide for some dodgy trading practices.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
and,
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 16, 2012, 7:05:01 PM
Ah, the joys of getting suckered while trading in ARPGs.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Ah, name change! The signature betrays!
Currently playing on:
and,

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info