Marauder - Take the skillpoint, or the health bonus?

On every character I've made so far, I would always kill all three bandits without any doubt. However, I've started a Marauder now, and having seen some videos of Marauders, I've been wondering how the high leveled ones can get up to 3k health.
I've seen a Marauder in the Merciless chat mention that the health bonus is a must-have. When I realized I maybe should put more thought in which one to choose, I had already killed all bandits on Default. Now I'm in Act 2 Cruel and I've done a bit of math - assuming the passive +% health bonuses apply to the 45 health given, I should be able to get around 85 health per difficulty, meaning an additional ~250 health.

I've seen some high-leveled Marauders (let's take an original example and say Kripp) who I'm pretty sure has about 3k health. When your health is this high, would an additional 250 health make a huge difference for a Marauder in endgame?

As I'm not on Merciless yet, I can't give a specific build, but I'd like to know assuming the Marauder is using a two-handed mace, has 75% resistance to Fire, Lightning, and Cold, and has about 70% damage reduction (I think this would be a fair amount to be aiming for?).
You might get an extra 250 health from not killing all bandits, but killing all bandits will give you an extra of 4 passive skill points.

That theoretically means you could get 4 +8% health nodes you wouldn't be able to get in the other case, meaning an total of +32% hp.

That would result in a bonus of much more than 250hp even if we take a basic health pool of just 1k hp.
It's a matter of preference. Some builds will like the flat bonus HP that would otherwise be difficult to get (or perhaps, they have difficulty getting +% hp passives too). I think Marauders benefit greatly from increased flat hp, since they have a ton of +%, but I feel like +4 passive points will be more beneficial in the long run. Consider the bonus flat HP against your character 1 year from now when he could be level 90 or 95, with very high level gear. 4 passive points may just be more worth it for a long term character
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Aug 16, 2012, 1:13:25 PM
Remember that all your +% life nodes apply to the +45 life you get for helping Oak. As a Marauder it is not unheard of to get over +100-150% life from passive tree, which usually makes the life bonus much superior to another +8% life node. Taking the passive point for a +% life node is better only if you don't already have a lot of +% life to apply for your +45 life.

This is the reason I like the +life reward best for classes with access to lot of life nodes.

(Of course if you want something else than life this discussion is pointless as then a passive point is clearly better).

-Ropetus
Author of Build of the Week #11: PalavaKostaja - Righteous Fire Marauder

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info