High Level Descent Mode: Please Consider!!

I love the basic idea of descent. Love it. But whenever I play, I'm constantly thinking of how much better it would be with higher level characters instead of these dinky lvl 1-20's.

There is almost zero build diversity in racing due to the low level starts. Characters only have a few abilities, can't use half the skillgems in the game, and can't get to a lot of interesting keystones.

So, how about this. Make a version of descent with monsters scaled up to levels 50-70. Massively increase XP gains so that people can lvl from 50-70 in the race (lets say 2 or 3 hrs).

Everyone starts at level 50 with some basic gear sets, some orbs, and ~60 skillpoints. There is a 10 minute setup period where you can make your build. Have a vendor that sells a decent selection of leveled gems.

What you get is a race with characters that are more diverse, more interesting, and more fun.

Thanks for reading.

PS: Obviously just like normal Descent all characters and items do not transfer to other leagues :)
Last edited by aimlessgun on Jul 11, 2013, 2:55:39 PM
"
Everyone starts at level 50 with some basic gear sets, some orbs, and ~60 skillpoints. There is a 10 minute setup period where you can make your build. Have a vendor that sells a decent selection of leveled gems.

You have a 30 minute period before the race even starts.

But you have to consider that the devs will kill many builds with the chest system because you won't receive certain gems.

For example if you want to go Icetemplar you won't get any gems at all but icenova.
Same thing with spellmara.
I think it's important to support about 3 builds per class, and I'm not sure if "spellmara" is one of them. Perhaps as a totem-mancer, with Flame Totem and Searing Bond. Not sure how viable that would be though.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Great idea, this was asked for several times in cb race threads as well.

Start players with a specific amount of race points. Offer every level 50 equivalent of each gem at a starting screen/vendor and let players buy their skills and supports. Same with base (white) items of varying levels and sockets/links. Do the same again with currency- players can choose whether they want a few alchs/chaos or many trans/alts etc- then give the players 5-10 minutes to build their characters and start the race.
IGN: KoTao
Last edited by KoTao on Jul 11, 2013, 6:02:10 PM
I wouldn't mind this at all since the only way to get to higher level is to compete in the longer races, which I do not have time for as a casual gamer. Sitting down for an 1 - 3 hour race is much easier.

It'll also add more diversity into the type of races offered so people are not running the same low level toons over and over again.

Plus, isn't the idea behind the races to show those who have mastered the mechanics of the game? This opens up so much more about the game that racers need to know.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info