Unstable Latency

Greetings!

I am encountering problems with Path of Exile connectivity. I will be playing through different maps, but sometimes a map will be very laggy/non-responsive. For example, my latency usually sits around 33 ms in the Australian gateway, but when the problem occurs, it will start jumping between 20-2000 ms, usually disconnecting me after a minute or two. It becomes way more frequent when I try to group with other players, regardless of location. Sometimes it is fixable if I exit/reenter to the instance a couple of times. A lot of the time though, it will just DC me, as I will lag out before being able to use a zone transition. This is consistent over all gateways.

After some research and testing with other players, I have been able to figure out the following:

1) Traceroutes do not show anything abnormal compared to standard. (No packet loss, no ping spikes.) This is different from what is shown in the in-game latency graph, which shows spikes and plateaus when it is desynced.
2) While grouping, it was discovered my input into the game is still being sent to the server, even if on my machine I appear to have disconnected/desynced. For example, my friends have been able to direct me around to kill mobs and continue with the map by telling me what directions I need to be running or facing to attack. From this, I can gather that the information is still being sent from my client to the server, but I am not receiving the server response.
3) It will only occur on zone transition. It has never started occurring during a zone or map.

I was hoping that there might be any suggestions you have to help with this issue, as it makes group-running very tedious. I am having a lot of fun with the game, but it would be nice to be able to run things like maps without worrying about disconnects.
Last edited by Deleristyr on Jul 7, 2013, 9:39:51 AM
"
Deleristyr wrote:
Greetings!

I am encountering problems with Path of Exile connectivity. I will be playing through different maps, but sometimes a map will be very laggy/non-responsive. For example, my latency usually sits around 33 ms in the Australian gateway, but when the problem occurs, it will start jumping between 20-2000 ms, usually disconnecting me after a minute or two. It becomes way more frequent when I try to group with other players, regardless of location. Sometimes it is fixable if I exit/reenter to the instance a couple of times. A lot of the time though, it will just DC me, as I will lag out before being able to use a zone transition. This is consistent over all gateways.

After some research and testing with other players, I have been able to figure out the following:

1) Traceroutes do not show anything abnormal compared to standard. (No packet loss, no ping spikes.) This is different from what is shown in the in-game latency graph, which shows spikes and plateaus when it is desynced.
2) While grouping, it was discovered my input into the game is still being sent to the server, even if on my machine I appear to have disconnected/desynced. For example, my friends have been able to direct me around to kill mobs and continue with the map by telling me what directions I need to be running or facing to attack. From this, I can gather that the information is still being sent from my client to the server, but I am not receiving the server response.
3) It will only occur on zone transition. It has never started occurring during a zone or map.

I was hoping that there might be any suggestions you have to help with this issue, as it makes group-running very tedious. I am having a lot of fun with the game, but it would be nice to be able to run things like maps without worrying about disconnects.

Hey there,

When you run the trace routes, do you leave them running while playing the game and then the disconnect occurs?
If not, we need you to do this, especially if the in-game latency graph is showing poor results and the trace route is not.

Secondly, when you play in groups, do you know what gateways the other players are using?
As you're likely getting placed into non-AU gateway instances.

For when it occurs during zone changing, that is somewhat normal(especially if in a group with players on a different gateway) since you're changing physical servers(in most cases).
However, if you are having a problem with the routing to the servers or with your connection itself, this will effect you much more than it normally should.

Do you use a wireless connection by any chance?
Hello, cheers for the fast reply.

I have tried the trace routes both ways. I would take the IP from the client.txt log file when I connected to a bad instance, and then run it through WinMTR. There would be no abnormalities in the route, but in game it would still show on the graph. I didn't have it running all the time with this method. I also tried having it run consistently when I played, tracing it through the Australian gateway IP address, but it didn't change anything. The trace route would be fine, and the game would show the lag spikes.

When I was doing the testing, I was running with friends playing through Australian gateways, to make sure I was being placed in Australian gateway instances, but the same problem can be replicated through any gateway.

No, I am not running through a wireless connection.
"
Deleristyr wrote:
Hello, cheers for the fast reply.

I have tried the trace routes both ways. I would take the IP from the client.txt log file when I connected to a bad instance, and then run it through WinMTR. There would be no abnormalities in the route, but in game it would still show on the graph. I didn't have it running all the time with this method. I also tried having it run consistently when I played, tracing it through the Australian gateway IP address, but it didn't change anything. The trace route would be fine, and the game would show the lag spikes.

When I was doing the testing, I was running with friends playing through Australian gateways, to make sure I was being placed in Australian gateway instances, but the same problem can be replicated through any gateway.

No, I am not running through a wireless connection.

Hey there,

Thank you for clarifying the issue.

I'll need you to run a trace route and play the game, when you notice the lag spikes, stop the trace and email it to us at Support@GrindingGear.com.
Can you also please include: your ISP; your IP address; and the time/date of when it was done.
This way we can investigate the issue further, as it sounds like there could possibly be an issue with the return path of the connection.
I'm having similar problems at the moment, whenever I try to log in or change zones I get loading screens just hang or am unable to log in at all.

I think it is my ISP, unfortunately my area is still living pre-21st century and is unable to get fixed line broadband of any type.

Here is the WinMTR Trace:
Spoiler

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 237 | 237 | 0 | 2 | 79 | 5 |
| No response from host - 100 | 48 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 10.112.0.49 - 0 | 238 | 238 | 32 | 87 | 308 | 69 |
| vocus.ix.waia.asn.au - 0 | 238 | 238 | 33 | 95 | 316 | 74 |
| ge-0-1-0-18.cor01.per02.wa.VOCUS.net.au - 7 | 187 | 174 | 87 | 140 | 399 | 164 |
|ten-0-2-0-7.cor03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au - 7 | 187 | 174 | 88 | 132 | 303 | 160 |
| ten-1-1-0.bdr03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au - 7 | 187 | 174 | 86 | 132 | 365 | 162 |
|as56106.cust.bdr03.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au - 7 | 187 | 174 | 86 | 127 | 209 | 163 |
| au04.grindinggear.com - 7 | 187 | 174 | 88 | 150 | 390 | 162 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
IGN: MrG.
Build Videos & Item Testing: www.youtube.com/user/MrGxyz/videos
Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/mr_g__
Mr_G while you are having surprising latency issues early on, your trace indicates your packet loss issues are on the hops through VOCUS. You are welcome to provide them with this WinMTR so they know where the issue is occuring or playing through another gateway.

If you continue to experience issues here and wish to discuss it, please create a new thread with your issue and your WinMTR. This allows fellow users to diagnose your issues easily, as bumping old threads with new issues can be disruptive and put a hinder on us and the tech support forum from helping you.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info