Achievements!?

this game should have an achievement system to give people short term goals and bragging rights, could have xp rewards or currency item rewards for killing sprees, every 5-10 levels, specific skill gem combinations, number of kills with specific skill gems, stuff like that. Achievements are in a lot of other games because they're fun and rewarding and I really think they could fit well here.
I thought how you build your character and how geared you are were bragging rights enough...
ign: SQLException

dxdiag: http://pastebin.com/8WJ696Hu
I find achievements a cancer to the industry. People get them for bragging rights and something compels them to get every achievement. Soon the game is about getting every single achievement, not about playing through the game and enjoying yourself.
Please no achievements, ever. I despise them and don't get their point. Now in windows 8 even minesweeper is going to have achievements...
"
vankeris wrote:
Please no achievements, ever. I despise them and don't get their point. Now in windows 8 even minesweeper is going to have achievements...

Achievements are really fun but only when they are done in a specific way. They have to make you consider your play style or have you try things you would've never done without an achievement system. Level a gem to 10 is a terrible achievement but something like "kill the act 2 boss on merciless using only totems and traps" is more interesting.

...More interesting but that doesn't make it a good idea - personally I just don't see achievements being suited to PoE particularly well.
In the meantime...

poestatistics.com has player profiles that include past events.

That's hardcore fan site right there! Insane!

templeofexiles.com also has some nutty graphs and statistics for ladders, I'm not sure if they have player profiles though.

"
DeF46 wrote:
In the meantime...

poestatistics.com has player profiles that include past events.

That's hardcore fan site right there! Insane!

templeofexiles.com also has some nutty graphs and statistics for ladders, I'm not sure if they have player profiles though.

Wow, thanks for the awesome links.

From my somewhat lengthy gaming experience, i think that achievements draw gamers away from the real goal of a game, as has been pointed out above.

FWIW, I think racing & FPS games benefit more from achievement systems than ARPG's or immersive RPG's do.
You are now Distinguished in Sailing!
Your ranking has gone up to Master in your archipelago!
achi's are ok, but in my opinion they don't add enough value to really take away time from developing other parts of the game.

agree that bragging rights are your gear and build.
Achievement would be a very good addition to the game nobody really brags about how many achievements you have that much they just usually get them because they are fun and sometimes hard and just make the game interesting just like the wow achievements end game when you got nothing else to do you do achievements for fun just for the little battles and what not please make achievements most games have achievements for a reason because most people like them!
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info