Keep getting FPS drops

Hello!

I love this game but there is something that is in the way of me enjoying it. I keep getting these FPS drops after about 5 minutes playing. I can just stand in town and after a few minutes the drop comes and ruins everything. I go from about 30-50 FPS to 1-3, it drops instantly and doesn't go back up. It goes away for maybe a few weeks at a time but keep coming back so my question to you is, is there a way to keep this away forever?

I have all the new drivers but it's a pretty shitty laptop I use.

CPU: Intel i5 2450M @2.5GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 and nVidia NVS 4200M (really bad cards)
Memory: 8GB
HDD: 300GB

Thanks in advance for any replies!

EDIT: The drops are not spikes, it goes down to 1-3 FPS and stays there. To clear up any confusion.

EDIT 2: i got this taken care of. I changed to my integrated videocard and it was solved. It was a hardware problem as you can probably figure out.
GMT +1
IGN: Nick
Last edited by Nick on Jun 24, 2013, 5:09:55 PM
As much as I normally bash laptops, yours really isn't a bad one. Everything in it is enough to run PoE just fine if it's set up correctly.

First, make sure your PoE is always using you Nvidia graphics card which is a separate card, unlike the other which is integrated.

Next you'll want to make sure you are using a wired connection at all times. Wireless connections are slow and prone to interruption and packet loss.

Could you please run a WinMTR report and post the output here? Check here for information on how to do this: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361292

This will help myself, and also the mods to see if you are suffering from a networking problem, instead of a hardware problem. Basically just read through that guide and follow those steps right after/during the times that you get really laggy.

After these things are considered, I'd make sure the computer was nicely cleaned up, especially if you don't know how to, or generally don't do this yourself. If you feel that
the over-all performance of that computer is slow when doing normal things like using the internet, or playing smaller games, or using other programs it's likely due to excess start up programs and spy/mal ware or viruses etc.

With Laptops in general you also want to make sure you either change the power settings to user everything fully, or keep the machine plugged in at all times.

If you're not that savvy at these things, and don't have a local nerd friend to help, shoot me a PM and I can walk you through anything you're having trouble with.

Hope something here helps :)
IGN = Dellusions_Duelist
Try doing this:

-Hide global chat.
-Hide trade chat.
-Play around with option settings.
-Set texture_quality to 5 in production_Config.
-Close programs that you don't use while playing (Skype etc.).

If that doesn't help maybe you can try downloading Razer game booster.. That's the only advice I can give. Hope i helped :)
"
Dellusions wrote:
As much as I normally bash laptops, yours really isn't a bad one. Everything in it is enough to run PoE just fine if it's set up correctly.

First, make sure your PoE is always using you Nvidia graphics card which is a separate card, unlike the other which is integrated.

Next you'll want to make sure you are using a wired connection at all times. Wireless connections are slow and prone to interruption and packet loss.

Could you please run a WinMTR report and post the output here? Check here for information on how to do this: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361292

This will help myself, and also the mods to see if you are suffering from a networking problem, instead of a hardware problem. Basically just read through that guide and follow those steps right after/during the times that you get really laggy.

After these things are considered, I'd make sure the computer was nicely cleaned up, especially if you don't know how to, or generally don't do this yourself. If you feel that
the over-all performance of that computer is slow when doing normal things like using the internet, or playing smaller games, or using other programs it's likely due to excess start up programs and spy/mal ware or viruses etc.

With Laptops in general you also want to make sure you either change the power settings to user everything fully, or keep the machine plugged in at all times.

If you're not that savvy at these things, and don't have a local nerd friend to help, shoot me a PM and I can walk you through anything you're having trouble with.

Hope something here helps :)

-Running on seperate GFX card - check!

-Wired connection - check!

I do not have any viruses or malware, I am cautious of what I download.

I can send you the WinMTR results in a PM since it didn't keep its form in the forum.
GMT +1
Last edited by Nick on Jun 22, 2013, 7:56:23 PM
Hi there,

Feel free to send your winMTR output to support@grindinggear.com and we can look into this for you.

You may also want to try connecting through a VPN. please check out this forum thread:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/103073/highlight/

It does describe a different problem but connecting through a VPN often solves connection issues.

Regards
Stewart
Having any trouble? Feel free to email support@grindinggear.com
"
Stewart_GGG wrote:
Hi there,

Feel free to send your winMTR output to support@grindinggear.com and we can look into this for you.

You may also want to try connecting through a VPN. please check out this forum thread:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/103073/highlight/

It does describe a different problem but connecting through a VPN often solves connection issues.

Regards
Stewart

I will do that.
GMT +1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info