Fire damage + Spell damage + str requirements

Okay I am totally lost on the whole concept of templars in general, so maybe an explanation would cure my whole issue...but it arose when I got this staff:

Unavailable
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/gen/image/YTozOntpOjA7aToyNTtp/OjE7czozMjoiYmQ3OTVk/Njc2YmJkODczY2VlYjM5/YTcxZmNiNmRkYzkiO2k6/MjthOjM6e3M6MToiZiI7/czo1NDoiQXJ0LzJESXRl/bXMvV2VhcG9ucy9Ud29I/YW5kV2VhcG9ucy9TdGF2/ZXMvU3RhZmY0dW5pcXVl/IjtzOjE6InciO2k6Mjtz/OjE6ImgiO2k6NDt9fQ,,/1fa4cb4bfb/Item.png

I was like...wow awesome stats for a fire witch! Then I was like..strength requirements? Sounds like a templar thing. What the hell do templars even do that uses strength AND spell damage. It doesn't make sense to me. Can someone just explain who would be best suited for this staff.
Is it a fire mage type build? If so, why the strength req? Is it just an inconvenience that I need to work around?
Is it a templar? If so, what kind of templar? It seems like if I'm pumping str, I should be doing melee. Is that wrong?

Any light shed on the situation would be great. I feel like this is a dumb question but I'd just like some opinions. Thanks.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I'm pretty new but off the top of my head, a fire templar using fire damage on weapons/gems, and molten shell could take advantage of this.
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ <(o.o)> ┻━┻ ︵ \(Ò_Ó \)
But the staff doesn't even have fire damage. I thought of molten shell and infernal blow...but I don't know I guess it sounded underwhelming.
Templars are supposed to be hybrid str/int, but honestly any character can do anything they feel like, so that doesn't really mean much to more experienced character builders. There are a few options for a spellcaster str-heavy character as well. Iron Will, for example. Good luck getting your int score as a spell damage bonus.

And it's not like it's a high str requirement to begin with...
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
"
WerdnaEgni wrote:
But the staff doesn't even have fire damage. I thought of molten shell and infernal blow...but I don't know I guess it sounded underwhelming.

Infernal blow wouldn't be the best choise, since the staff doesn't hav emuch damage.

A simple spell critical Templar with Fireball, Firestorm, Molten shell ;)
The Templar can easily get the required strenght for that and intelligence as well - believe me, Templar is my most played class, and they all go the hybrid way in terms of stats :)

The Templar has easy access to ele damage, spell damage, some spell critical (since you have to score critical hits to ignite your enemys) nodes aren't far away either, also some fire damage and even more burn damage. And around lvl30 you can already have most important stuff (not everything though) around your strating area and you can already be in the witch area (or not yet beeing in the witch area, but picking up everything usefull near the Templar start ;)).

Also the Templar has THE best staff block node (+10% to bloc chance with staves) near.

Something like this:
Link
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Jul 28, 2012, 5:17:18 AM
"
WerdnaEgni wrote:
Okay I am totally lost on the whole concept of templars in general, so maybe an explanation would cure my whole issue...but it arose when I got this staff:

Unavailable
http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/gen/image/YTozOntpOjA7aToyNTtp/OjE7czozMjoiYmQ3OTVk/Njc2YmJkODczY2VlYjM5/YTcxZmNiNmRkYzkiO2k6/MjthOjM6e3M6MToiZiI7/czo1NDoiQXJ0LzJESXRl/bXMvV2VhcG9ucy9Ud29I/YW5kV2VhcG9ucy9TdGF2/ZXMvU3RhZmY0dW5pcXVl/IjtzOjE6InciO2k6Mjtz/OjE6ImgiO2k6NDt9fQ,,/1fa4cb4bfb/Item.png

I was like...wow awesome stats for a fire witch! Then I was like..strength requirements? Sounds like a templar thing. What the hell do templars even do that uses strength AND spell damage. It doesn't make sense to me. Can someone just explain who would be best suited for this staff.
Is it a fire mage type build? If so, why the strength req? Is it just an inconvenience that I need to work around?
Is it a templar? If so, what kind of templar? It seems like if I'm pumping str, I should be doing melee. Is that wrong?

Any light shed on the situation would be great. I feel like this is a dumb question but I'd just like some opinions. Thanks.

It's good for everyone who use fire damage spells.

It's damage is too low for a melee build, along with a sub-par attack speed.

You will want a bit of strength, even as a witch. Mostly for levelling inc. duration and totem supports, but also to raise health.

If you immediately jump to the conclusion that you can spec CI, and don't need str/health, that's also risky, as you will get stuns calcualted from what your base hitpoints would've been without CI.

Anyway, this staff is viable all through to the end game.
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Just a weird idea for my earlier post:
with just 2 more points you could also get Ele equilibrium (EE). - for the build check my last post in this topic
Why?
Well EE sais that only enemys you hit get increased resistance agaisnt that element,i think that burning damage wouldn't trigger it - so if you hit an enemy with a fireball and torch him you could throw in another spell quickly and he would have reduced fire resistance while he burns :)
Something like Shok nova with added cold damage ;)

How would you play it:
- go into nova range and hit the enemy with shock nova (you have some general spell damage and ele damage increases so the nova isn't that weak), since there is quite some speel crit chance you might also shock him

- hit the enemy with a fireball (he has -50% to fire resistance since he had been hit with lightnig and ice at the same time earlier-that is why i would add cold damage - so the fireball hit HARD), you have a great chance to ignite him

- immideatly another shock nova - so the enemy has again reduced his fire resistance

- ???

- profit ;)

-> the end result: a enemy burning after beeing hit with a strong fireball (much 'base' burning damage) and with over 100% increased burn damage, while he has reduced fire res (throw in an ele weakness curse and he has -80% to his fire resistance) and the enemy is most likey shocked - thus the damage is further increased for 40%
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Jul 28, 2012, 6:48:05 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info