Two simple game suggestions

Hello,

I am playing in this weekend's beta event and I have a few suggestions that I feel should be posted

1. Character Inventory

Way too small at current time, can't carry hardly anything. It is very frustrating. Suggest at least doubling it.

2. Passive Skill tree

Way too imposing for new players. I myself don't see a problem with it because I have experience playing games with similar systems ( Path of Exile's system is a blatant copy of FF 10's sphere grid )

The system needs a tutorial for new players and perhaps some cleaning up - specifically for lower levels. I was looking at the tree for like 10 minutes when I first leveled to find something that increaaed hp regen.. Eventually I gave up and just put a point in mana regen.
1. The inventory is at its current size to help balance the rate people aquire orbs, which is our currency in this game. Also, it helps the player make choices while playing, forcing then to decide if that item is worth picking up. You could still pick up everything if you wanted, you would just be using alot of town portals. It helps to make loot feel more meaningful to us.

2. First, this tree far from a copy of ffa. Yoou actually have choices in PoE, in ffa there are very few branches. Just look at it really hard. Personally, and I can probably speak for hundreds of players, we love the forrest we know as our passiives.
The answer is 42.
"
Paladin0228 wrote:

Hello,

I am playing in this weekend's beta event and I have a few suggestions that I feel should be posted

1. Character Inventory

Way too small at current time, can't carry hardly anything. It is very frustrating. Suggest at least doubling it.

2. Passive Skill tree

Way too imposing for new players. I myself don't see a problem with it because I have experience playing games with similar systems ( Path of Exile's system is a blatant copy of FF 10's sphere grid )

The system needs a tutorial for new players and perhaps some cleaning up - specifically for lower levels. I was looking at the tree for like 10 minutes when I first leveled to find something that increaaed hp regen.. Eventually I gave up and just put a point in mana regen.

1. Not particularly. I go back to town maybe... every 15 or 20 minutes? It feels good to me personally and encourages immediate selectivity in what you pick up when you start the game. I only pick up blue quality items or above (aside from special cases.)

2. If they're looking at it the wrong way that goes against what the design is rather clearly showing, that's not the system's fault. It's not supposed to be used to look for specific stats except when you've already sufficiently spread yourself out across the tree and decided where you're going. It's supposed to lead you towards a variety of things your class is good at while still allowing advanced players (obviously unimpeded by the tree's breadth) to find what exactly they specifically want, through the online tree, familiarity, etc.

They are making some usability improvements towards looking it over though, specifically making nodes more visually distinctive. I think a dev elsewhere mentioned some background art coming denoting that 'this is the evasion area of the tree!' or whatever, to go in those circular areas of similar nodes.
Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
Last edited by Caiada on Jul 27, 2012, 10:46:12 PM
"
Paladin0228 wrote:

A tutorial or intro, sure.
But no. Lets not dumb down anything.
"
"
Paladin0228 wrote:

A tutorial or intro, sure.
But no. Lets not dumb down anything.

Agreed. When you start dumbing down things, Diablo 3 happens.
"
Paladin0228 wrote:

Hello,

1. Character Inventory

2. Passive Skill tree

The invetory is fine IMHO - as others said incventory management is part of the game - i personally take quite a lot of items (yes even white), but almsot never pick up a bow or other large items (except for blue or better items). After you find a town portal skill gem it is easier to transport larger drops back.

About the passive skill tree - there is a reason you can access it here on the homepage (but they could add some tip ingame about it - maybe as a loading tip), since it is IMHO easier to get a good overview what you have near.
EDIT: though some tutorial (or maybe a video tutorial) could probably be good for new players
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Jul 28, 2012, 9:17:50 AM
No offense, but maybe give it until the end of the free weekend before you judge?

The skill tree is imposing (and this version is greatly simplified from the skill tree in the game just a few days ago), but I found after playing a couple of different classes to L12 or so (Act I) the skill tree nodes and branches made sense and I had a decent understanding of what skills do, which skills make sense (or are necessary) for a particular build type, and the order to approach them in. If you take away the complexity, you also lose a lot of the diversity, and with that you lose long-term gaming value. One of the distinguishing features of PoE over ToG is that it doesn't have one or two cookie-cutter builds/class. You can play a bow marauder with 1 life point, a melee witch, or a magic duelist with no mana successfully if you get creative.

As for loot -- you aren't expected to loot everything. Unless I can use it (and yes, you should consider using whites over currently equipped blues or even yellows/browns if they provide a significant DPS/AC/EV/ES increase) or I am VERY low on wisdom or portal scrolls), the only white items I pick up are those with linked red/green/blue sockets (for the chromatic orb). Even leaving behind a few blues isn't that big of a deal. If they are possibly useful to you, id them. Otherwise leave them behind and don't worry about the loss of a few shards.
"
Paladin0228 wrote:

Hello,

1. Character Inventory

2. Passive Skill tree

Inventory is fine. I love it for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. Besides, at some point in Act 2 normal, you really will only be picking up yellows aside from good sockets/linked whites and blues or blues that look like they may be an upgrade to your current gear (then I ID it, and if it's not an upgrade, I toss it back on the ground.) Play to at least mid level before you judge the inventory size.

As far as the skill tree...no, no, no. They just got done simplifying it a few days ago, and it was pretty tough to swallow for a lot of the community. Sure it looks daunting and is crazy and intimidating for your first few levels. But just play the game, play around with the website version (if you go to the bottom of the page here, you will see a list of your characters, click on them, click on passive tree, and it will bring up that characters passive tree with points you have spent and you can actually add points and plan your build.) After a few days, you will feel like a pro.

There's just so much diversity available in this system, and it's such a huge draw to this game and increases the playability. You could play 50 different characters and never play the same character type. That's huge for business model GGG has chosen. They need to keep players around for a long time. The complex passive tree is the biggest thing that will accomplish that.
Last edited by Bones40 on Jul 28, 2012, 1:56:48 PM
You kind of get used to the inventory, and then start to appreciate the 'why' of it the longer you play. I find if you come from a mindset from most other ARPGs of 'pick up every item and ID it!' it's a little too small.

But quickly, you start to learn what to be selective about picking up. It's something that did bother me for the first while about playing, but I've warmed up to it.

I do think that the skill-tree could use some better in-game explanation, I also think it'd be great of things like search/similar/shortest path were in-game like they are on the web page.

Being able to plan out a build in game, save it then load it when spending points would also be a big help, and some clearer explanation on how various skills / passives interact would be great (although digging around on the forums has loads of info, and the community tends to be very helpful)
The inventory is fine just as it is - you have to think and weight up what you want to carry. If every man and his dog could haul back hundreds of blues in one run then the low level orbs would make no sense (heck most orbs would just be too plain easy to obtain). I must admit I hated it for about 2 minutes when I started PoE, but I was still in D3-mode where you stack and stack and stack then ID ID ID, curse curse curse, vendor, vendor, vendor. I hope the devs do no change this ever.

I can see how the passive tree can be daunting to new players, but it's a much scaled down version of the previous tree, so to me it looks really straightforward now!

I think an idea might be to have suggestion 'ghost paths' when starting out which will highlight certain classic builds in a ghostly light, showing the new new player possible ideas for building their character from which they can divert as wanted. These ghost pathways can be recalled at any time to check on progress through leveling.

That FF10 'tree' is more like a single really tangled up piece of string, rather than a 'tree', no blatant copying here.

D1 - PvM D2 - PvM/PvP D3 - MvM (Money vs Monster)
Last edited by karaknic on Jul 29, 2012, 2:57:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info