Increase Damage Passives and Active Skills

I have a question about all the different passives related to increase damage.

There are three I want to clarify about:

- Increased Melee Physical Damage
- Increased Physical Damage with Mace
- Increased Physical Damage with a One Handed Melee Weapon

Do these all combine to give a flat increase when using Active Skills like Heavy Blow with a One Handed Mace?
Yes
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
:) yomyomyom
"
beastxjason wrote:

Don't get too excited; each new +% is subject to diminishing returns. Grabbing a cluster or two can make a huge difference; going out of your (skill tree) way to grab a couple more nodes is a waste of skill points if it doesn't also lead to more strategic choices.
"
BenHurt wrote:
"
beastxjason wrote:

Don't get too excited; each new +% is subject to diminishing returns. Grabbing a cluster or two can make a huge difference; going out of your (skill tree) way to grab a couple more nodes is a waste of skill points if it doesn't also lead to more strategic choices.

Diminishing Returns?

How does that factor in. A lot of what I'm getting, I'm not going out of my way for it, so it works out. I'm curious about the DR if it applies to +Physical Damage.
Diminishing returns? None that I'm aware of. You have less potential for reaching more passive skill nodes, but that's all. Here's my understanding of how it all works.

Any mods that apply to you from skills, or from passives, such as "Increased Physical Damage with Maces" or "Increased Melee Physical Damage" and "Increased Physical Damage" mods on weapons, or pretty much any other mod which applies to whatever attack you are using and includes the word "Increased" will be added together, then multiplied by your base physical weapon damage.

Then this value will be multiplied by any mods that specify "More" damage done, added to 100%. One example for physical damage is the buff granted by the skill Phase Run. This would increase all damage done by 150% while you have the buff from a level 1 Phase Run active. Mods that specify "More" or "Less" damage are multiplicative with all other mods of the same type.

When you hit an enemy, it will then take into account many things when determining the final damage. Any curses that "increase" that type of damage will be added together and then multiplied by the above total, such as the bonus to physical damage from Vulnerability. There are also some multiplicative factors involved after that total, including damage resistance from armor, which is explained here or in the stickied mechanics thread.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jul 28, 2012, 1:22:33 PM
The diminishing returns mentioned was theoretical, not mechanical. Each +8% node will add the same ammount of damage.
If you have no increased physical damage and get an 8% node, it will add 8% to your total dmg.
However, if you already have 100% IPD, another 8 will only add 4% to your total dmg.
I spose it's not truly diminishing returns in that each node will add the same dmg, but it is true that later points have a less dramatic effect and could be better spent getting you to other areas of the tree.
Yeah there is no real 'diminishing returns'. 8% will always be an 8% increase. But mathematically, as the poster said above me, at a certain point, It becomes increasingly less effective due 8% only being 8% of the base damage, not the total damage.
Your Hardcore character's carcass has made a certain buzzard very happy.
Ah I get it.

Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info