Fireball and area of effect passives

How does it get affected by them, is it worth it?

Example:

Amplify
+12% area of effect
+8% increase area damage

----

As far as I know fireball affects a small area, but area damage? does that mean +8% to the damage of the fireball itself, or only to the splash area?

Can anyone confirm before I spend any points this way?

Thanks
Last bumped on Jul 20, 2017, 8:39:37 AM
The splash damage on fireball is the damage listed. So any increases to area damage will increase the damage on fireball. (This is why so many people throw concentrated effect on it)
TehHammer is not a crime!
Thanks for the info, I don't even know what concentrate is atm, but I hear conc + multi projectiles is the way to go for fireball, so will try it out :)
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
The splash damage on fireball is the damage listed. So any increases to area damage will increase the damage on fireball. (This is why so many people throw concentrated effect on it)

I've tried adding concentrated effect on to fireball but didnt notice any damage change on my skill tab, nor when shooting fireballs, even tho supposedly skill is affected by it.
"I fear no evil, for I am fear incarnate!"

"Many claim they wish to destroy their enemies. If this were true, most would be compelled to destroy themselves."
"
wizard_6 wrote:
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:

I've tried adding concentrated effect on to fireball but didnt notice any damage change on my skill tab, nor when shooting fireballs, even tho supposedly skill is affected by it.
This is due to a limitation of the stats system in displaying this.
Because the fireball isn't always area damage (if it pierces something, there's no area of effect, it just hits that one thing), it can't have the area damage stat built in. Instead that stat is added when it explodes, thus making the area damage increases apply.
But because when looking at the skill you're seeing the damage calculated on the base fireball stats, it's not yet flagged as area damage so you won't see it apply.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Because the fireball isn't always area damage (if it pierces something, there's no area of effect, it just hits that one thing), it can't have the area damage stat built in. Instead that stat is added when it explodes, thus making the area damage increases apply.
But because when looking at the skill you're seeing the damage calculated on the base fireball stats, it's not yet flagged as area damage so you won't see it apply.
Are you guys going to make it so we can see all these different calculations and stats? not being picky, just curious if its planned. i know it wouldnt be high priority anyways
"
wizard_6 wrote:
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:

Hey mate, test again.

With only the conc effect, I see no change in stats but see obvious change in the damage on the mobs' hp bars. I think it works, just the stats don't show it.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Thank you for clearing it up

"
DeviousAlpha wrote:

Hey mate, test again.

With only the conc effect, I see no change in stats but see obvious change in the damage on the mobs' hp bars. I think it works, just the stats don't show it.

Problem was that I did test it, normaly my fireball is attached to lesser multiple projectiles and an increased chance to burn (before I heard about the concentration affecting fireball) so I did test it with swapping chance to burn with concentrated effect. With chance to burn on I shot all 3 fireballs in point blank range to 1 mob and no suprise he died, did the same wich concentrated effect swapped in place of chance to burn and this time (same type of monster) he lived with a little hp, so I shot another this one died so I though maybe some odd random chance that fireballs did the minimum damage.
Then I started shooting so only 1 fireball out of 3 hits the target and this time both cases took simmilar ammounts of hits to kill monsters of same type (some fireballs were stronger hitting in each case, some were dealing rather the minimal ammounts of damage).
Then I just took out the multiple projectiles out and tested it just with concentrated effect or chance to burn. Again monsters took more or less same ammouts of fireballs to die. That's why I got a bit puzzled as I could barely notice any damage differences tho mana costs with concentrated effect was way higher, hence why I asked to see if I was just very very unlucky with the fireball damage rolls or did I miss something obvious.
"I fear no evil, for I am fear incarnate!"

"Many claim they wish to destroy their enemies. If this were true, most would be compelled to destroy themselves."
Hey guys! Just want to clarify skill mechanic.

Well, i have increases to projectile damage, like +30%. So, fireball tooltip shows that increases and do all that damage to first monster it hits. But how AoE damage is calculated? From initial projectile hit with all proj damage increases? Or separately?

So, my fireball spell do 100 damage; and from all my gear and tree i have only that stat "30% increased proj damage". So, first monster that hit recieve 130 damage, it is clear. But how much damage recieves his friend nearby from AoE? 100 or 130? Without any pierce or chain or fork.

And, like previous question, i have only "+30% AoE damage". Fireball gem text says "100 fire damage". First enemy hits for 100 damage from projectile or 130 from AoE? How it is calculated? Without any pierce or chain or fork.
"
Hey guys! Just want to clarify skill mechanic.

Well, i have increases to projectile damage, like +30%. So, fireball tooltip shows that increases and do all that damage to first monster it hits. But how AoE damage is calculated? From initial projectile hit with all proj damage increases? Or separately?

So, my fireball spell do 100 damage; and from all my gear and tree i have only that stat "30% increased proj damage". So, first monster that hit recieve 130 damage, it is clear. But how much damage recieves his friend nearby from AoE? 100 or 130? Without any pierce or chain or fork.

And, like previous question, i have only "+30% AoE damage". Fireball gem text says "100 fire damage". First enemy hits for 100 damage from projectile or 130 from AoE? How it is calculated? Without any pierce or chain or fork.

I'm going to take your example and split it into 3 scenarios to explain. You have 100 base fireball damage in all of them.

1. You have +30% Projectile damage
2. You have +30% Area Damage
3. You have +30% Projectile and Area damage

In case 1, since it is purely projectile damage, the damage from fireball will be affected in all possible scenarios. This means it will show up in the tooltip as 130. Both the initial monster and all those around him get hit for this damage.

In case 2, it is possible that fireball will NOT cause area damage in certain cases (ie, you have chain/pierce/fork). This means that it cannot show on the tooltip, so the tooltip will say you do 100 damage, but assuming your fireball DOES hit AoE, all monsters including the one hit initially will take 130 damage.

Case 3 is a combination of these. Your tooltip will show 130 damage because the Area damage is not included. The actual damage is 160 for both the initial target and those hit by the AoE.

I hope this cleared things up. Let me know if you're still unsure about something.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Penitent
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Feast
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Essence_Worm
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Witchfire_Brew
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vixen%27s_Entrapment

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info