A question about sockets

Hey all,

I was wondering how the game determines the number of sockets available on an item.

I have a ridiculously awesome unique staff that i've been using from level 13->33 so far and as far as I can see the only downside to it is the number of sockets. It only has 3. I tried reforging the number of sockets, intending to get 4+ and then colour and link appropriately but I've never seen more than 3. Is this due to its item level? Will it be impossible to get higher?

For reference I've been using a fire/frost build with fireball as my main skill (with increased ignite chance), firestorm as my aoe with increase crit. And then frost wall, and ice blast for slows and safety.

Item to follow:

The Searing Touch Long Staff
+2 to level of fire gems socketed into this item
+33% increased spell damage
+38% increased fire damage
+70% increased burning damage
+10% increased cast speed
EDIT: Required level 13.

Hmm link: ???
Unavailable
Last edited by DeviousAlpha on Jul 23, 2012, 4:57:00 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I don't think the devs have released info on the specific item levels that allow certain numbers of sockets, but it's very likely that your staff can't have 4. I definitely wouldn't put currency into trying at such a low level unless you plan on sticking with that for a long time (it is an excellent item).

Also, the level requirement isn't the item level. To get the real item level, pick the item up on the cursor and type /itemlevel in chat.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 23, 2012, 3:46:19 AM
My understanding is that the ilevel decides the maximum number of possible sockets. Though i cant remember cut offs from the top of my head.
Cant say from where it came exactly, but it must be an information I got once there in the forum...
in my notes I have the following statements (may have been changed in the meantime, but it could serve as orientation values):
item level 1 - max. 2 sockets (except the starting weapons)
item level 15 - max. 3 sockets
item level 28 - max. 4 sockets
item level 35 - max. 5 sockets
item level 50 - max. 6 sockets

(of course, 5 and 6 sockets only if the item is capable to hold it - body armours and twohand weapons)
and, yes - the sockets on unique items are also dependend on their itemlevel.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Last edited by Mr_Cee on Jul 23, 2012, 4:30:44 AM
I don't think socket on unique depend on itemlevel based on the info you posted

clearly my lvl 9 and lvl 21 unique both have 4 socks

Unavailable
Unavailable
IGN : Hungryneko
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
I definitely wouldn't put currency into trying at such a low level unless you plan on sticking with that for a long time (it is an excellent item).

I know right, the difference in two levels of damage with the modifiers, on a fireball? Is around 40 damage. Mobs just melt before me. Thanks for the tip about checking the item level, will do it once I get in from work.

"
Mr_Cee wrote:
Cant say from where it came exactly, but it must be an information I got once there in the forum...
in my notes I have the following statements (may have been changed in the meantime, but it could serve as orientation values):
item level 50 - max. 6 sockets

(of course, 5 and 6 sockets only if the item is capable to hold it - body armours and twohand weapons)
and, yes - the sockets on unique items are also dependend on their itemlevel.

I did a forum search and found a user saying that was what he'd found with his testing. But no word from the devs huh?
"
hungryneko wrote:
clearly my lvl 9 and lvl 21 unique both have 4 socks

itemlevel is a different state as the char level requirement - you have to take and hold the item in the hand, and then open the chat window and type /itemlevel to check this.

Yes there were no confirmation by the devs, but until now I've seen no items that conflict with this informations.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
I have 2 theories regarding this:

* your level matters, you need to be at the specified level so when you level up you might be able to get more sockets by rerolling
* your level at the time of drop matters, so if you get that staff in merciless it can have 6 sockets but not before that

Anyway this would be very interesting info to have, maybe make the orb say what can you get at max when you try to roll?

Oh and definetely it could be as others said - fixed item lvl and you cannot go beyond that.
Last edited by Neikius on Jul 23, 2012, 5:59:06 AM
If you want to know how many sockets this item can have, type /itemlevel in the console while hovering over this staff.

It will display the itemlevel, then inferring from what is commonly accepted (
item level 50 - max. 6 sockets)

You will know how much socket you can get.
Last edited by downstroy on Feb 14, 2013, 4:09:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info