Accuracy is a Joke...

At the last skill reset I did a bit of research as I went through and rebuilt my level 70 elemental bow ranger.

I run with a typical Ranger/elemental-heavy thicket bow and rely mainly on split arrow with the usual linked items. My base DPS is around 6k, buffed with auras.

For interests sake, I noted the following - don't take the numbers too literally as it depends on where in the level makeup that they were calculated as to their absolute effect, but it gives an interesting directional idea (also, if I had multiple nodes of the same types, I took an average effect).

- +1% IAS: 25 dps
- +1% Increased Projectile Damage: 15 dps
- +1% Increased Accuracy: 6dps
- +1% Elemental Damage: 13 dps
- +1 Dex: 1.67 dps

Now, given there are a few +20% Accuracy Rating nodes, they - for my character/build - delivered about +120 dps (ie 20x6). This was about the same as a 5% IAS node, a +8% Projectile Node or a +9% Elemental Damage node.

This result surprised me and indicated that if I could grab a 20% Accuracy Node without going out of my way, it was probably worth it.

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jun 27, 2012, 7:48:13 AM
A few percent in accuracy, can be the difference between life and death, when you carry a big, slow stick.
"A tool knows exactly how it is meant to be handled, while the user of the tool can only have an approximate idea." -Milan Kundera
Exactly!

If you are a 2h weapon weilder that does large single hit damage but doesn't have the best attack speed, accuracy is VERY important. If you miss, it is going to be a little bit before you attack again...
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Honestly, especially as a melee character, if I missed any more often the action would be incredibly dull.

I see your point in terms of making the skill really meaningful, but IMO it would be a negative on gameplay.
The biggest joke about accuracy is how often you miss at stationary/near stationary objects and mobs. A totem should have 0 evasion and the 95% accuracy cap should be ignored. It should be a 100% chance to hit on something that doesn't move, assuming you clicked on it to attack in the first place. When you miss, it's like you're swinging at a pinata blindfolded, only you're not.

Also, slow moving skeletons should have next to no evasion ratings. Same thing with all the slow lumbering rocks and other similar mobs. It really gets annoying hitting a totem 4 out of 5 times when it's just sitting there.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by TehHammer on Jun 27, 2012, 3:43:51 PM
"
TehHammer wrote:
The biggest joke about accuracy is how often you miss at stationary/near stationary objects and mobs. A totem should have 0 evasion and the 95% accuracy cap should be ignored. It should be a 100% chance to hit on something that doesn't move, assuming you clicked on it to attack in the first place. When you miss, it's like you're swinging at a pinata blindfolded, only you're not.

Also, slow moving skeletons should have next to no evasion ratings. Same thing with all the slow lumbering rocks and other similar mobs. It really gets annoying hitting a totem 4 out of 5 times when it's just sitting there.

Accuracy doesn't have to mean "hit" or "miss" it could just be a glancing blow or a less effective hit. Personally I've done a lot of structural demolition stuff, sometimes you hit a brick wall with a sledgehammer and it literally does nothing short of shocking the shit out of you (and hurting your hands).
TehHammer is not a crime!
In this game, that's precisely what it means. You either hit (do SOME form of damage) or miss (do NO damage). Even when an object you are trying to demolish doesn't appear to be hurt by a swing, in some way, it is (if you really want a detailed description of erosion, I'll give it to you).

Missing a totem is like walking up to a car with a sledgehammer, taking one swing, and completely missing. Or even worse, hitting the car squarely only to see no damage is done. What's the accuracy rating that would relate to that? Negative 1.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by TehHammer on Jun 27, 2012, 5:00:31 PM
"
Crackerblk wrote:
A few percent in accuracy, can be the difference between life and death, when you carry a big, slow stick.

So can be 1 HP. It still doesn't mean anyone would use +1 hp nodes.
✠ ✠
Aren't any of you surprised by the relative dps impact of accuracy nodes vs the other things, like Elemental Damage?

Personally, I was surprised that, for my build, a +20% Accuracy Node is about the same dps impact as a +9% Elemental Damage node! Yet you're all going on how rubbish accuracy is...?!

Petrov.
"
TehHammer wrote:
In this game, that's precisely what it means. But the bottom line is you still hit it. Missing a totem is like walking up to a car with a sledgehammer, taking one swing, and completely missing. What's the accuracy rating that would relate to that? Negative 1.

Really? When you're playing and you attack, you actually see your character not hit the object with your weapon, and a big "MISS" sign pops up?

If so, you're on the wrong game's forum, because in my game I see my player actually hit the monster, and deal 0 damage. No notification of missing, no sound-effect "wiff", no floating combat text telling me that I've missed...
TehHammer is not a crime!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info