failed to create D3D device

I've seen a few posts on this... and I figure I would add my post in the mix in the hopes of getting this fixed...

I've been playing POE now for quite a few months, and all was good. But this week-end, my video card died (system no longer boots when card is present, regardless of OS).

So, while I am doing my RMA, I figured i could still play using the onboard video, but I seem to be wrong.

My System:

AMD Athlon X4 at 3.2
Mobo: Gigabyte 880GM-D2H
Onboard video: ATI Radeon HD 4250 (previous card was gigabyte ATI 6750)
Windows 7 64 bit

When my other video card died, I completely uninstalled all video drivers, rebooted, reinstalled them, then ensure that Direct X was still up to date. but no luck.

I have quite a few other games on the system (Starcraft II, Heroes of might and magic VI, etc) and they all work fine (or as best as possible with this limited vid card)... but they do work. POE is the only game that fails to launch.

Please help!
Last edited by kildram on Jun 26, 2012, 11:41:09 AM
Try deleting your game config file, which you can find in

My Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/production_config.ini

This should reset your game settings, including the graphics card it is expecting.

Let me know if this fixes the problem, because I believe it should have been fixed already.
Balance & Design
Last edited by Rory on Jun 26, 2012, 8:31:44 PM
confirmed - was able to launch game

Too bad my onboard video is just too crappy... will have to wait to play again :(

I deleted the file and now the games starts but just gets frozen at the first loading screen. any fix?
I just did what Rory asked to and it worked perfectly.
Thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info