Hanging on Authenticating User

Hi

I update my game client this morning, everything went well, the download was quick etc. However, when I tried to log in, I received a "unlock code" via email but was never given the option to enter it anywhere. So I waited another 5 minutes, nothing. Then I restarted my game client and tried logging in again, this time, after about 5 minutes, I was able to enter the unlock code, but then nothing happened after that, so I have tried to restart the client again, several times. Still nothing, it just hangs on Authenticating User / Contacting Server...

I can log in fine to my account online, and it is not a firewall thing.

Any ideas?
Did you attempt a different gateway to see if it makes a difference?
"
Drakier wrote:
Did you attempt a different gateway to see if it makes a difference?
\
I had not thought of that. Thanks for the idea.
I just tried a different Gateway, America instead of Europe, and so far it is doing the same. Just hanging directly after Authenticating User (left side scroll text) Contacting Server...
If multiple gateways are having an issue, I can't see how it would be a network issue.

That leaves it to something on the DB server side (or something similar), or something with your machine/connection/firewall.

If you use a firewall, can you attempt to disable it and try again? I know a lot of people had to remove PoE from their firewall, then re-add the exception in order for it to get the new ports detected properly. Those people just said they reset their windows firewall so it was clear, then re-launched PoE and added it when it gave them the dialog again.

I tend to think it would be something more on your side with a firewall or something. Good luck, and let us know if you get it fixed how you fixed it so it can help others in the future.
I agree with your assertions. I thought it wasn't a firewall thing though, but it seemed like it could be so I double checked. Re added the Path of Exile client to the exception list and retried; then disabled firewall and retried. Neither helped. I am about to try using a different ISP, may as well try that. Will let you know what I find,
Ok

So the different ISP seemed to do the trick. I one is setup on the router, the one that didn't work, the other I "dialed" to from Windows, and that worked. I still can't think that this is the true cause, but at least it is working now.

So in summation, trying to connect with the connection setup on the router didn't work, but connecting with the connection setup in Windows did. (Two different ISP's though, but both have cap left, the first is uncapped)
While it's unlikely, it's also possible that the router is the problem in this case, as it might be filtering ports or not forwarding them properly.

Can you test the "working ISP" account on the router?
So, tonight everything is working again. Both ISP's, connecting from the router or directly from Windows, I guess rather indirectly.

My guess, Firewall issues fixed with a restart or something, unless it was the ISP who decided to block the traffic, which don't really believe.

The weird thing with the firewall is it worked when connecting from Windows, but not when trying to connect through the router, however tonight both are working.

I guess this isn't really going to be helpful to anyone else ... oh well, at least I can play again with either ISP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info