Mechanical Question - Melding of the Flesh and Elemental Penetration

So, I'm sure my Idea has some errors and probably penetration works different than I think.

My understanding:

When Penetration applies it subtracts from the characters maximum resistance, bascially lowering the characters "maximum resistance of that element".

My idea:

When I'm using Melding of the Flesh, capping out my maximum cold resistance at 90% and then using the haunted modifier "cold resistance cannot be penetrated" would that work for every other elemental resistance aswell, because they are bound by my characters cold resistance?

It most likely doesn't work, but it would be nice and maybe someone could give me a mechanical answer to why it's not.
Last edited by Sadaukar on May 7, 2024, 10:54:33 AM
Last bumped on May 7, 2024, 11:50:28 AM
No.
And Penetration doesn't work the way you think. It does nothing to your current and maximum resistance. It reduces effective resistance (deals damage as if you had lower resistance).
I see.

So if I understand it correctly, penetration is applied after the resistance calculations on the character.

Meaning -res curses and -max res ect.

So whatever resistances are left, that's where penetration is reducing them additionally. Which means it doesn't interact with the characters stats in any way.

i.e. if my max res is 90% even after the calculations penetration will still take those 90 as effective and reduce them by whatever amount the penetration has.
Last edited by Sadaukar on May 7, 2024, 11:23:13 AM
Something like this, but you still need to study the terms “max res”, “current res” and “uncapped res”)
alright, thanks for the clarification.

Even tho I think I know what those 3 terms mean and do I'll look them up again to see if I missed something in relation to penetration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info