As a melee-er I'm kinda hyped for POE2 - HYPE HYPE!

the bitter pill is GGG developed POE1 with a very old school mindset/backbone.

and to be honest melee in arpgs always SUCKED. but some games had a band aid by slapping a flat damage resist to all melee classes.

GGG which touted itself as "classless" back in the day, had no such luxury.

i do resent GGG for "not fixing" melee in poe1 enough and i do resent them for not being transparent enough about splitting poe1 from poe2 at an earlier date.

but i do understand why it was important to do so.

during josh's interview, when it was repeatedly mentioned how bad melee is in poe1 and how they really wanted to fix it in poe 2 it was kinda refreshing.

in fact. i am quite interested to try poe2 and see how they're implementing melee now.

they have 10 years of experience trying to fix melee, from what i see in the poe2 gameplay vids, i can see there has been a lot of considerations made for melee. even if poe2 is slower i honestly wouldnt mind at this point.

i have always mentioned that one of GGG's pitfalls is that they refused to nerf speed. no cap. speed all the way. everything scales with speed. leech is better with speed. poison stacks,wither stacks, so many things scale so well with speed. there are outliers but in general speed is king.

i hope that poe 2 will be so great that i would actually love it so much i'll abandon poe1.

i am pretty certain that melee in poe 1 would still take years before they actually start pushing it into a better place (ggg can prove me wrong). and by that time i might be busy playing poe2 or even perhaps titan quest 2 or the new grimdawn expansion.

seeing how i am a very melee centric arpger the one arpg that i see with the most things going for melee is still poe2.

cant wait for the beta.

and yeah i definitely will do some janky build as always. maybe a meleewitch lol
[Removed by Support]
Last bumped on Apr 21, 2024, 9:09:41 PM
You should talk with people who already played PoE 2 and ask them about melee.
If you think its better in PoE 2 than it is here... well buddy, I dont want to be the one who tells you
johnatan says, the game is poe, your health will always move. then what can melee have in poe that range dont ? either damage, damge burst in shorter windows or tankyness. damage busrt means you have to make a design effort specificly for melee. if you give damage in a game like poe, you can exchange damage for tankyness in your build and tankyness they dont like it. so dont expect much.

that or they hate melee :) after all some people only like melee so why not the opposite

oh i forgot the daily quest builds. play boneshatter.
Last edited by SerialF on Apr 18, 2024, 5:15:36 AM
"
Aynix wrote:
If you think its better in PoE 2 than it is here... well buddy, I dont want to be the one who tells you

?

Alkaiser aka one of the lords of melee said Melee is literally one of the strongest at the current moment next to ranger.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Coconutdoggy wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:

?

Alkaiser aka one of the lords of melee said Melee is literally one of the strongest at the current moment next to ranger.

LMAO you said literally the opposite thing few weeks ago using him as example as well. Make your mind, eh?
Yeah.. I'm not. I don't trust that GGG even understands what melee is or what they need to succeed.
Moving while winding up melee attacks will maybe benefit slow slam/strike buils but it depends how fast the base game in general is, like monster/boss movement/attack speed and aggro range.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Coconutdoggy wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:

?

LMAO you said literally the opposite thing few weeks ago using him as example as well. Make your mind, eh?

Find the post cause I CERTAINLY did not say melee is bad in poe 2 lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Coconutdoggy wrote:

Find the post cause I CERTAINLY did not say melee is bad in poe 2 lol

No you didnt say that. You said that Alkaizer after tests said that melee is garbage.
Last edited by Aynix on Apr 18, 2024, 7:09:34 AM
I've been playing ARPGs since the original Diablo, and melee has always been my preferred way to play them, so I don't know that I agree that melee has always sucked in ARPGs. It didn't even suck in PoE, originally; melee only broke in this game when they increased monster density by 25% a little bit before Incursion league, specifically to help players maintain their flask uptime and go faster. GGG then followed that change with several timer-based leagues in a row, and the Religion of Zoom became PoE orthodoxy... and genuine melee gameplay ceased to be a thing.

Oh, yeah, GGG, I remember when you did that. I remember testing melee in Incursion league, and hating the results so much that I actually skipped that league. And, no, adding a bunch of AoE skills to the game, but with melee tags on them, isn't nearly the same thing. The literal definition of the word melee is "close-quarters combat," and screen-clearing AoEs are the opposite of that. Crunchingly viceral, toe-to-toe-with-the-foe melee gameplay vanished overnight as the game accelerated with GGG's blessing, and most of the game's players rejoiced. It would be years before GGG realized what a mistake they'd made, and by then it was far too late to walk it back.

That said, they do seem to have come around. Both Mark 1 and Jonathan seem to realize that mistakes were made, even if they don't necessarily remember what the mistake was. Both of them are keen to make melee better. Hell, Mark 1 might even find a way to make melee better in PoE1, too.

But better melee is why I'm really looking forward to PoE2. I'm hoping that they've got the balance right, and that real melee will be a viable way to play a PoE again, and that it will be real melee, and not just screen-clearing AoEs with melee tags on everything. It's the thing about PoE2 that's got me most excited. And if that means that PoE2 has to be a little bit slower than PoE1, I think I'm okay with that.

I've got my eye on the Monk.
#ssf_is_better
#make_necropolis_core
#make_melee_better

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info