Quick "gender option" suggestion

Hey there,

Here's a quick pitch: Let's roll out an MTX allowing players to swap their character's body type.

I'm not jazzed about running around as a male character. How about an option to morph my Inquisitor into something more my style, like a Scion or Witch?

Appreciate it,
Diana
Last bumped on Mar 29, 2024, 9:57:26 AM
just No.
If you were to play a Sherlock Holmes or Lara Croft game you probably wouldn't ask for gender options.

In PoE you do not play yourself or a version of yourself in this world like in most MMOs. There's no character creation tool or anything else that let's you adjust your character in any way.
You're playing a fixed story of a person with a history.

You've probably not been thinking this through, you really want them to remake all char models? Or do you want the female Marauder to look, run, behave like a Scion or Witch with just another hair colour...

And it's pointless, because this is not a roleplaying game. Would you feel better playing Super Mario games if you could do it as Super Maria? Play a mustachioed Lars Croft in Tomb Raider games?

Pointless. As those are not RPGs. And PoE is neither. 'nuff said.
"Boah, is echt lächerlich, wie schnell das hier lädt, wenn nich irgendwelche Penner mit MTX hier rumhängen."
i think mark said in a reddit post on path of exile 2 reddit, that they might add mtx for different genders in poe 2, don't know if they intend to do that in poe 1 in anyway tought
"
Reshemin wrote:

And it's pointless, because this is not a roleplaying game. Would you feel better playing Super Mario games if you could do it as Super Maria? Play a mustachioed Lars Croft in Tomb Raider games?

Pointless. As those are not RPGs. And PoE is neither. 'nuff said.

Holy arbitrary (and perfectly wrong) gatekeeping.

guess what the RPG in ARPG stands for?

You're gonna be REALLY shocked when out find out.

Or hey giving you SOME benefit of the doubt maybe you already know and you're being disingenuous and projecting your own subjective view onto literally everyone else.

Anyway I like Options I think most people would prefer to HAVE THE OPTION than to excuse/apologize/dismiss it. If I want to run around sundering with a thicc female Marauder thats an option I don't currently have that would be fun.

Is it more work? Sure so is literally any content that add to the game to give players things they like. Is it worth it for GGG? Hard to say monetarily but traditionally in RPG's and ARPG's like POE more emotional investment in your character is traditionally seen as good for long term retention.

More axis of customization is also traditionally viewed as a value add in terms of player retention.. In fact in ARPG's this is MOSTLY achieved with "build crafting" but some aesthetic crafting also ALREADY HAPPENS (MTX).

Its seems beyond arbitrary for some gate keepers to draw a line at gender. I have to "run past Goblin troupes giving me PTSD" (inside Forum meme) and Super Anime Rainbow over 9000 Wings all the time.

Can't have a female gladiator or a Male Ranger though? Wat?

Personally if I'm not feeling a character's aesthetics, theme or "vibe" if you will I will almost 100% of the time reroll EVEN WHEN THAT CHARACTER IS DOING WELL. Sometimes that reroll happens to many times and I get bored and stop playing.

Fostering more investment in a character is considered the right game design in most cases. Sell it as MTX if they want. I've bought worse MTX packs for less reason.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
honestly, i dont see why they couldnt have a simple mtx that lets you change your current character model, into one of the other 6.

thats all we want.

ALL of the animations are already there. all the items are going to work.
my passive tree is going to start at the same place.

im just going to visually look like something ALREADY IN THE GAME.

and, cmon, face it, with all the armor set mtx in game already, you cannot tell what class ANYONE is at endgame just by looking at them.

"

honestly, i dont see why they couldnt have a simple mtx that lets you change your current character model, into one of the other 6.

thats all we want.

ALL of the animations are already there. all the items are going to work.
my passive tree is going to start at the same place.

Exactly what I was thinking, thank you!

Afterall, the game is supported by MTX and I would love to use them on a female character, that's all.
This is a game, play a role.
I think implementing a feature like this would be a fantastic addition to the game. Allowing players to customize their character's body type through an MTX system would not only enhance personalization but also cater to a wider audience of players who seek representation and identification with their in-game avatar.

For those who may not feel fully immersed or connected to their character due to limited body type options, having the ability to morph their Inquisitor into something more aligned with their preferences, whether it's a Scion, Witch, or any other form, would greatly enrich their gameplay experience. It's all about fostering inclusivity and ensuring that every player feels empowered to express themselves in the virtual world.

Moreover, from a business perspective, offering such customization options through MTX could provide an additional revenue stream for the developers, which in turn could support ongoing game development and maintenance. It's a win-win situation where players get more flexibility in character creation, and the developers have the means to continue delivering quality content and updates.

Overall, I believe introducing a feature like this would not only meet the demands of players looking for more diverse representation but also contribute positively to the longevity and profitability of the game. It's a progressive step forward that aligns with the evolving expectations of modern gaming communities.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info