Mark's play the game as you want statement

Hi,

I just watched Ziz's interview with Mark.
Mark stated that he wants us players to play the game as we want, not to be forced to do content we do not like. But I disagree with his view as he is pro world drop.
My few personal issues are
- I cannot control in any way unique world drops, if my build needs it, I have to buy it from other player.
- My RPG fantasy is that thematic boss drops are awesome. For example, I could farm Brutus to get specific items from him that would be tied to him in some way. That could open a new tier of uniques or other type if items (not sets necssarily)
- It forces me to play maps over and over again and I cannot afford to spend much time now as a casual player.

Just my few cents. It is not a rant, just a different point of view on "play the game as you want"
Cheers.

Edit:
One more thing about rpg fantasy stuff. I think that it would be cool if act (mini-)bosses could drop fractured items regarding their theme. Easiest example would be Brutus and str item.
Or if one could go further, drop item with really unique and fun mod - for instance an amulet that would give minions str bonus.
Or even gem modifying items like imbue zombies with Brutus' strength. Possibilities are endless and I get that everyone is busy with much more important stuff
Last edited by dreanerion on Mar 27, 2024, 8:17:46 AM
Last bumped on Mar 27, 2024, 6:37:53 PM
+1

World drops are terrible game design.

It's literally boring, uninspired and makes it impossible to farm anything deterministically. In addition, as you said, it forces you to buy all your upgrades from trade... so fun right.

Having the actual game director in a loot-based game actually state is he pro world drops is so sad, but that's what we're stuck with.
Affliction and Necropolis are the worst leagues ever to exist. The current game design and direction is atrocious.
i would say that boss drops are still a thing. TWWT, watcher's eye, 2handed swords that can shock using various elements. theres quite a number of boss only drops.

and ggg has just made it even more focused with removing boss exclusives from divination cards.

i find it really weird that people are complaining about world drops when it comes to farming a specific unique. thats the nature of world dropped uniques. if your build absolutely depends on that one particular unique, then just trade for it.

as a reminder, POE has always been centered around trade. SSF came into existence only after players begged incessantly and GGG finally caved.

if POE was centered around single player experience and you had difficulty dropping specific items, i could sympathize more but as POE's loot is and always has been balanced around trade, its something you just have to deal with.

that said, GGG did do some sort of P2W element where if you absolutely wanted to farm something deterministically, just give GGG 1k USD and design a div card for the item you want lol.

in any case, i would think it would be cool if more uniques were boss specific and not necessarily pinnacle level but instead thematical. brutus could drop brutus related weapons.
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by exsea on Mar 27, 2024, 12:22:01 PM
"
exsea wrote:
I just watched Ziz's interview with Mark.
Mark stated that he wants us players to play the game as we want, not to be forced to do content we do not like. But I disagree with his view as he is pro world drop.
My few personal issues are
- I cannot control in any way unique world drops, if my build needs it, I have to buy it from other player.
- My RPG fantasy is that thematic boss drops are awesome. For example, I could farm Brutus to get specific items from him that would be tied to him in some way. That could open a new tier of uniques or other type if items (not sets necssarily)
- It forces me to play maps over and over again and I cannot afford to spend much time now as a casual player.

Just my few cents. It is not a rant, just a different point of view on "play the game as you want"
Cheers.

Edit:
One more thing about rpg fantasy stuff. I think that it would be cool if act (mini-)bosses could drop fractured items regarding their theme. Easiest example would be Brutus and str item.
Or if one could go further, drop item with really unique and fun mod - for instance an amulet that would give minions str bonus.
Or even gem modifying items like imbue zombies with Brutus' strength. Possibilities are endless and I get that everyone is busy with much more important stuff

"
+1

It's literally boring, uninspired and makes it impossible to farm anything deterministically. In addition, as you said, it forces you to buy all your upgrades from trade... so fun right.

Having the actual game director in a loot-based game actually state is he pro world drops is so sad, but that's what we're stuck with.

I agree with both of you, in a general sense, because there should be a reasonable degree of predictability in the steps to achieve in-game goals, whether they be in the form of particular unique items or mod combinations that support an intended build...and at least some of that predictability should be able to be advantaged on an individual basis.

I am curious how well the balance between (predictable outcomes and randomness/gambling) will play out as things move forward.

More randomness in drops and crafting (encourages and/or forces) player interaction to achieve goals, which is probably an intended outcome to promote a sense of community and competition, which among other things helps to keep shared sense of hype for the game thriving. edit follows: Too much randomness here can be a pretty big problem in the form of alienating players from engagement with available crafting processes (and all that follows from that alienation in terms of enjoyment of the gaming experience and game-economy implications).
Last edited by MoonPeace on Mar 27, 2024, 1:53:37 PM
"
+1

Yeah, except we already have bosses dropping exclusive items you have to farm for. The drops for those are so rare that you'd be better off buying the item from other people.

Both systems suck. World drops means no dedicated farming, but dedicated farming is gated by multiple layers of time or RNG, access to the boss fight itself and the chance of the item you want dropping.

I'll give you an example item: Ashes of the Stars. It can only be obtained from Eater of Worlds. You need to run 24 maps just to fight him once. This unique is a rare drop.

Not enough RNG for you? How about ilvl 87 Watcher's Eye? It's dropped exclusively from Uber Elder. You can't do this fight without fighting all 8 guardians a minimum of two times each so you can fight their respective bosses (Elder and Shaper) a minimum of two times each to get the Uber Elder fragments. Emphasis is on "minimum" as you're not guaranteed to get both UE fragments from the respective bosses. Also, the Watcher's Eye is a rare drop all on its own. And even if you get one, you're not guaranteed to get the rolls you're looking for. Good luck.

There's literally no way to target farm bosses for their loot without having to trade with someone, either for the access to the bosses or the item they drop.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Mar 27, 2024, 1:52:02 PM
Obviously the sweet spot within a game is to have both world drops, as well as targeted drops.

The massive issue here, is when you facture in Valdo's maps, reliquary keys, divinations cards and trade.

Basically the whole game consists of world drop at this point.
Affliction and Necropolis are the worst leagues ever to exist. The current game design and direction is atrocious.
"
Obviously the sweet spot within a game is to have both world drops, as well as targeted drops.

The massive issue here, is when you facture in Valdo's maps, reliquary keys, divinations cards and trade.

Basically the whole game consists of world drop at this point.

technically i m fine either way. this is because theres different flavours to playing a game with ONLY exclusive drops and one with ONLY world drops.

a very good example of a game with exclusive drops is titan quest. man i love that game. many of the uniques are target farmable but it can get boring as well as you may need to farm the same spot over and over again.

theres always a give and take. in poe i dont necessarily need to keep farming the same spot like mad since i have easy access to trade.

i dont think GGG would be changing this system anytime soon as they would be forced to tie their uniques to map bosses or creature types etc. it a whole bulk of load of work for something they didnt plan for to begin with.

the nearest solution i think GGG could pull off is reintroducing navali prophecy. last epoch actually took navali's prophecies and implemented it in their game to make target farming easier. roll prophecies to get quests that upon completion grant you either divine cards related to what you want or the item you want directly.
[Removed by Support]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info