Necropolis: Forced micro upon area enter is bad.

Not sure how exactly this stuff works. The following is based on my impression of the Trailer.

If I dont want to be murdered by 15x 20% More pack damage or some weird mods like that then I have to analyze the whole thing to move all the dangerous lines to spots where they are not dangerous. This is not my idea of fun. IMO the whole thing here that every mob type is affected by one particular line is a design error. And to "add insult to injury" it doesnt even seem to be properly visible on the screen (during gameplay) what is dangerous and what not. The game should be properly WYSIWYG. IIRC in Affliciton it at least showed wisp colors.

And in addition to that the interface is bad: I also need to mouse over to see the critically important information (such as pack size).
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Last bumped on Apr 15, 2024, 10:55:42 PM
Welcome to amazing game design :-)
Affliction and Necropolis are the worst leagues ever to exist. The current game design and direction is atrocious.
some people are gonna love it some people are not.

im not rly a fan. im very much a 'let me play the game' sort of person, i dont like stopping to roll maps, fiddle with micro like this, talk to text scrolling npcs etc.

mark made some fair points about wanting people to be engaged with the game and not just watching netflix in the recent ziz interview. i appreciate that but for me i prefer when content makes me make decisions while playing. that scary looking monster on my screen i have to play around, affliction was cool in that im making decisions to go for blue or yellow or purple and thats based on what ive got already and what i wanna drop but that consideration is presented to me while im playing and then i make my decision by playing, by picking up the ones i want.

i like mechanics where its all part of the gameplay like that, i just get really jarred when im asked to stop playing and read a bunch of stuff.

some people will love it, some people read all the npc text in town etc. i dont think its bad design its just not for me.

maybe ill change my mind if i play it, stuff like betrayal eventually becomes ok because you know the few things you are looking for and how to just click through everything that is not those things without messing up or paying much attention to them.
I don't share this concern personally, but it does seem like it would be a good idea nonetheless to add a "Skip" button alongside the "Enter" button for people to use if they don't feel like fiddling with the Necropolis changes (if it's not already optional - that wasn't entirely clear to me from the video).
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on Mar 28, 2024, 8:11:52 PM
i am concerned about it because i know i dont like damage spikes that i did not ask for.

personally during affliction i always went into the forest after clearing a map to avoid overbuffing the creeps

not too keen with this league but then again theres a high chance i ll try it, a higher chance i ll skip it midway
[Removed by Support]
this never happened and here we are again.
like,ggg do you ever learn ? or your memory have expiration date ? this isnt the first time,when players saying that this is shit design and dont do it ever again.
If I had rituals or ultimatums forced back when started playing, would've quit instantly lol. Like you are running through mud flats and suddenly trapped inside ritual black screen area :)

Those starting playing at 3.18 when AN went core also had it rough, wonder if any of them made it.
Last edited by Echothesis on Apr 6, 2024, 9:39:32 AM
While I dont personally care about this now for this league - stopped playing ~1 week ago - this is still the kind of thing I dont want to see in the game in further leagues.

In addition to the above this is also extra hostile to new players as they likely dont know which monsters and/or mods and/or monster-mod combinations are dangerous. And (IIRC) the game doesnt even show the monster type for rare monsters which makes it extra hard to associate monster names with monsters for the purpose of learning. And IMO for this kind of thing there are way too many different kinds of monsters in the game anyway. And "to add insult to injury" (IIRC - could be wrong) the monster gfx in the popup doesnt even show the pack leader that could be a very different much more dangerous kind of monster.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Yeah I thought for sure after the first patch (which got me excited to keep playing the league instead of quitting) GGG would also soon make the Necro mods optional. As it stands mapping in this league feels just as terrible as Archnem. My options without a skip button seem to be rerolling as something more meta so I can ignore these dumb mods and just alc and go or re-quit the league. Doubling up how much crap we have to parse and micromanage per map should have been vetoed by someone right away.

Always loved D2 because it was basically pure gaming very little micromanagement or interaction with NPC's or other bullshit to pull you out of the gameplay loop. Always felt like maps were over thinking D2 endgame, adding nothing exciting but 6 to 8 lines of shuffled text you have to scan. In a game that was trying to be a spiritual successor.

I think POE was born with too much micro and not enough flow state gaming its why I love delve and really have grown to hate mapping. But doubling it makes it kinda insufferable.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Apr 13, 2024, 1:57:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info