Feedback: Itemised Aisling should be a new currency item called Veiled Exalted Orb.

I think that the itemised Aisling should be a new currency item called Veiled Exalted Orb. Let me explain the logic behind this.

Let's first take a look at Chaos Orb and it's variants and how they work:

* Chaos Orb: Reforges a rare item with new random modifiers
* Veiled Chaos Orb (Old): Reforges a rare item with new random modifiers, including a Veiled modifier | Can only be used on items that can have a Veiled modifier
* Eldritch Chaos Orb: If The Searing Exarch is dominant, re-roll prefix modifiers | If The Eater of Worlds is dominant, re-roll suffix modifiers
* Tainted Chaos Orb: Unpredictably either reforges a corrupted rare item with new random modifiers or removes all of its modifiers

As it can be seen, the common functionality of a Chaos Orb revolves around reforging, which is the pseudo-lingo in-game for "re-rolling ALL". Only semi-exception to this being the Eldritch Chaos Orb, and in that case it is redundant to say reforging instead of re-rolling, because if a single stat is concerned, re-rolling is the term what Path of Exile uses, instead of saying "reforges a single affix".

Now using the same logic let's take a look at how Exalted Orb behaves.

* Exalted Orb: Augments a rare item with a new random modifier
* Eldritch Exalted Orb: If The Searing Exarch is dominant, add a prefix modifier | If The Eater of Worlds is dominant, add a suffix modifier
* Tainted Exalted Orb: Unpredictably adds or removes a modifier on a corrupted rare item
* Horticraft Augment (Old): Augment an item with a new *X* modifier
* Aisling T4 Research (Old): Add a Veiled Mod to a rare item, with a chance of adding a second Veiled mod.

Now, I have included the old Horticraft augments and old Aisling T4 Research craft bench under Exalted Orb because the lingo followed similar with Exalted Orb, and here's how this completely connects and makes sense. New Horticrafts that replaces augments, and reworked new crafting bench for Aisling T4 Research have been changed to the following lines:

* Horticraft Add/Remove (Augment rework): Add a new X modifier and remove another random modifier from a non-influenced item.

* Aisling T4 Research Remove/Add (Add Veiled rework): Replace a random modifier on a Rare item with a Veiled modifier. (This first removes a mod, then adds another.)

Because of this, a birth of a new currency item called Veiled Exalted Orb makes a lot more sense. It's historically accurate in both functionality and wording, and it doesn't hinder additionally to SSF players since the new Veiled Chaos ONLY will drop from Catarina.
Last edited by Rekkard on Mar 15, 2024, 5:52:32 AM
Last bumped on Mar 16, 2024, 4:01:26 PM
Im not a fan of the changes personally.

We don't know the drop rate of the orb yet so i just assume based on the negative additions in the harvest changes its not going to be more than 10% and probably requires all leaders to be rank 3
I very much like the idea of adding an Veiled Exalted Orb as a drop from Catarina, substituting Aisling IV.

It boggles my mind why they want to remove Veiled Chaos Orb, on top of nerfing some other Betrayal content.

The new tradable Veiled Orb might sound great, but it will most likely be quite rare (I would estimate 5% droprate, i.e. 1 in 20 Catarina kills) and therefore expensive and unaffordable. It will probably be used mostly in high-mid to endgame crafting (as a 5th modifier or 6th with Hinekora's Locks). For those who like farming stuff by themselves or play SSF, Veiling future doesn't look bright...

Hope I will be proven wrong, but masquerading nerfs as QoLs and "reworks" is not a new thing in PoE.
Last edited by Diabolicni on Mar 15, 2024, 12:06:15 PM
Yes! Consistency please!

A developer calling that a chaos orb is like a biologist saying that a cat is a bear!
+1
Hope this gets implemented. The the current plan looks pretty sad for ssf
it is called a veiled orb (not chaos, nor exalt) because it DOESN'T act like any other currency...I don't think the narrator realizes that he misspoke. But it very clearly is called a "Veiled Orb" and NOT a "veiled chaos orb". But even if it is a "chaos orb" in the end.....that makes more sense than an exalted orb. "Chaos" means unpredictable. This is a pretty classic unpredictable craft.

An exalt orb adds a mod. Thats it. In every iteration.

The new veiled orb REMOVES a mod, and then ADDS a veiled mod. Totally different function.

It would be far more confusing when someone tries to use a "veiled exalted orb" on a 5-mod item, without realizing that it would STILL remove a mod because....consistency.

Now a real question....doesn't say there's a limit to how many veiled mods can be on an item using this orb lol.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Mar 15, 2024, 4:57:38 PM
i like it the way they have done it personally.

its just too much messing around, the need for it to be different stems from the presumption that it will be ridiculously hard to get a veiled orb compared the old veiled chaos. i dont think thats necessarily true.

the way the new one works is strictly better than a veiled chaos, theres no need for that orb. if the new one is too rare then make the case to make it more common, i dont think we need 2 orbs and we need more reasons to run cat. this way is good for the game imo, everyone should have a reason to run cat now and the drop rate should work for people who want to do the craft they wanted to use the old chaos for.

i just feel like its wanting unnecessary bloat because of a paranoia about a drop rate. the devs are setting that drop rate, if they agree that people should be able to do the crafts they did with veiled chaos as easily as before then they can and probably will set the drop rate of it to facilitate that.

"
jsuslak313 wrote:
But it very clearly is called a "Veiled Orb"

From the reveal trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0Q3QlGFr8):
"The Aisling reward of remove a random modifier, replacing it with a Veiled modifier instead has been moved to the function of the Veiled Chaos Orb and has been removed from the safe houses."

Then they hover over the reworked Veiled Chaos Orb, showing it's now called Veiled Orb, like you said.

"Veiled Chaos Orbs will now exclusively drop from Catarina, the leader of the Immortal Syndicate."

I should add, since they added English subtitles, they all reflect Veiled Orb instead of the voiceover saying Veiled Chaos Orb. So I can agree it's called "Veiled Orb" now, but it's for sure not "very clear".
"
Lonnie455Rich wrote:
Im not a fan of the changes personally.

We don't know the drop rate of the orb yet so i just assume based on the negative additions in the harvest changes its not going to be more than 10% and probably requires all leaders to be rank 3

I suspect its just Catarona above a certain lvl tbh, having higher ranked leaders doesn't make the fight harder but I do think the drop rates going to be set to pretty garbage.

Thinking about doing this as an atlas strat next league though for HC, diadem + these new orbs is already some good drops for something easy to setup in the background.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info