Please trial gold in the next PoE 1 league before PoE 2

Trade sucks, especially late in the league. Gold = good automated trades. Therefore gold = good. But it's a risk to implement in PoE 2 blindly without first trialing in PoE 1.

Tbh I just want better trade in PoE 1. Messaging 15+ people with no response is not fun.
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
Last bumped on Feb 29, 2024, 1:14:34 PM
This is a community problem, not a problem with the poe system. This isn't a thing in hc where there are less people that have an aneurysm when their map is slowed down by 20s.
"
Lonnie455Rich wrote:
This is a community problem, not a problem with the poe system. This isn't a thing in hc where there are less people that have an aneurysm when their map is slowed down by 20s.

+1.
"
Zedda wrote:
Trade sucks, especially late in the league. Gold = good automated trades. Therefore gold = good. But it's a risk to implement in PoE 2 blindly without first trialing in PoE 1.

Tbh I just want better trade in PoE 1. Messaging 15+ people with no response is not fun.

They already trialed gold. To be fair, it was in a Ruthless environment so it wasn't a good indicator overall, but....

It was a total failure. GGG was told prior to the launch of the gold event that gold would become completely useless and have zero value almost immediately and....it happened in a day (or even less than a day?). And this was in Ruthless, where it probably had the BEST chance of having value.

You CANNOT have a gold system side-by-side with the current currency system. It simply cannot be done, they are opposing markets and one would make the other have zero value.

For PoE to accommodate a TRUE gold system, they would need to rework the entire trade/crafting/orb system from the ground up....and they will not do that.

Also: 'gold = good automated trade' is a completely false statement. Why would GOLD be any better than what we currently have for automated trade? Gold would simply be the equivalent of identity scrolls: the lowest possible currency available, and force every trade to be in that currency. It wouldn't actually CHANGE anything about the trade process. Gold doesn't magically cause the market to be a "fixed rate" just because its called "gold".
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Feb 29, 2024, 9:08:45 AM
Goodness, it sounds to me that just about everyone posting in this thread has no idea how the gold system is planned to work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RskRFwgoQ5g

Watch from 1:52:00 to 1:56:00 - Jonathan Rogers explains.
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
"
Zedda wrote:
Goodness, it sounds to me that just about everyone posting in this thread has no idea how the gold system is planned to work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RskRFwgoQ5g

Watch from 1:52:00 to 1:56:00 - Jonathan Rogers explains.

Wow......if that is REALLY what ends up getting rolled out in PoE 2 then there is going to be HELL TO PAY. That might be the single dumbest solution to "trade issues" that I have ever heard.

To use gold as ONLY a means to unlock the "buyout" function, and have it be bound to the character is just.....wow.

Think about all the problems people have with trade right now: astronomical prices, price fixing, market cornering, bulk trades, etc. Who is going to benefit the MOST from this buyout + bound gold system? The folks that can dedicate a whole character simply to farming gold, and then have all trades go through HIM. AKA massive teams with huge resources, the very same people who are already "corrupting" the market we currently have.

I mean.....to be fair though, I think you entirely misunderstood what gold (in this version of it) would do to trade as well.....it would NOT make for "good" automated trade. It would make for unfair and ultimately useless automated trade. How in the world are they going to calculate this "fee" for buyouts, as gold would have literally no trade value on its own? Either its going to be prohibitively expensive to bulk-buy (cost x amount), or its going to be so cheap that there may as well be NO gold in the first place (flat cost regardless of amount).

Typically, the only way a "fee" actually works if it is calculated as a % of the total trade. In this system, that would be impossible.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Feb 29, 2024, 12:50:04 PM
you know the best way to make it so you can create frictionless trade? not having everything under the sun be tradeable in the first place. Trade requires friction (in their minds) BECAUSE everything can be bought. This wouldn't be an issue at all if certain items were real and truly untradeable.

I get their stated intent of having nothing bound.....and yet they then not 1 minute later talk about a "bound" currency called gold. They are creating their own problem, and if the solution is the very thing they want to avoid then its no solution and SHOULD point them to the real issue at hand: their base philosophy needs to be adjusted.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Feb 29, 2024, 1:07:42 PM
I think the idea is that players would trade the same way they do now, only there's the option of instantly completing a limited number of trades per hour of play time. The point seems to be forcing players to actually play the game to build currency, instead of sitting in their hideout flipping items all day.

The obvious problem with this system is that it puts the buyers at an even bigger disadvantage than they already are; if the current relationship gives the seller 95% of the power, the new system increases that to 99.9%.

Right now, if I'm in a map after the first week of the league I don't portal out for any trade under 100c. It's just not worth my time, better to see if they're still looking when I'm back in my hideout between maps.

Under this new system, I have no reason to respond to any trades, literally ever. Why would I spend any of my time selling stuff to people who are out of gold? I get paid the same either way, so obviously I'm just going to wait for a buyer who can afford to make the purchase at absolutely zero inconvenience to myself. If you're having gold problems I feel bad for you son, but I got 99 chiseled- scarab'd-red maps to run.
"
Zedda wrote:
Trade sucks,

And having gold will change nothing about that.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info