Server side performance issues

TLDR: Create a new instance!

I have not a bad PC (13700K, 32GB and NVMe SSD, 4070Ti, 250Mbit/s LAN Internet) and normally around 25ms of delay to Frankfurt, Amsterdam or Milan.

But sometimes I get into an instance and get horrible latency, ranging from 500ms to 15000ms. At first I thought it was my problem, trying different renderers, multi-threading, process priority, network modes etc. But neither resets or restarts helped, as soon as I would hop back in, the problem was back again.

One thing what bothered me was that it happened to one instance but not in another. At first I thought if was because of a certain something in a level which would cause it. Then I learned that private instances were persistent on the server for about 15 minutes. I also noticed that taking a break for 20 minutes solved the problem most of time. I also learned that with selecting the next instance with CTRL-leftclick a new instance was created, solving my latency problems.

With this knowledge I just entered Highgate and here I too had my latency problems, getting quests was practically impossible. Creating a new instance was impassible because it was shared and the instance was being kept alive by players. The solution was to switch from Frankfurt to Amsterdam and voila, no more latency problems.

So now I can certainly say that currently (Jan 5, 15:00) one of the Highgate instances in Frankfurt is bugged.

To reiterate, it could well be that the performance issues are not client side but server side. If you have crazy latency all over the place, try to make a new instance.
Last bumped on Jan 5, 2024, 9:11:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info