DX12 runs well, until it gives an infinite loading screen

As with many people, PoE has been running very badly for me since 3.22 league launch. The subsequent patches that 'improved' performance have done little to actually fix the issues most people are having, save from slightly faster load times?

Today (10/09/2023) I decided to try DX12, been using DX11 since league launch, not much I can do with low end machine [i3-8100, 16gb RAM, GTX 1050, HDD] and DX11 had been the only option that was working consistently albeit very poorly compared to 3.21 and 3.20. Dynamic Resolution was going all over the place and doing altars in 16 maps would freeze my screen for a few seconds.

Turning DX12 on the fps goes up, but so does the CPU, GPU and RAM usage. Dynamic Resolution hardly kicks in, resulting in a lower average fps than DX11, but still high enough in busy content that I don't mind.

Issue 1: Randomly the textures go super low. I don't mean the "Dynamic Resolution" low res, every single texture was as if the 'placeholder' textures from Ultimatum. Super blurry, really low res. It does not fix itself, and can happen in sequential zones on loading in. Creating a new instance sometimes fixes it.

Issue 2: Related to issue above, sometimes textures are missing, however they load after a while.

Issue 3 (!!!!): Loading screen sometimes will never finish loading. Even though I can hear my character dying behind it, the game never finishes loading. Only solution is force closing. Attempting to reload into the same zone causes infinite loading screen once again. One way I found to get past this was force closing the game, at start changing to DX11, load into the zone then change to DX12. This happened to me when trying to get into Cathedral Rooftops, after changing to DX12 the entire screen was black (under the UI, I could still see the minimap). Shortly before reaching Kitava, everything loaded back up properly.

Semi-solution: Turned on --waitforpreload on Steam Launcher settings. Loading screens haven't been infinite so far (played for another hour) and no more texture bugs. Loading times have been a bit longer for each zone but it's preferable than not being able to load into them at all.

I have not captured any of the issues above (screenshots or videos) as it hadn't occured to me to do so instead of trying to fix the issue.

My ingame settings are as follows:
Spoiler
Display: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Mode: Windowed Fullscreen
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Renderer: DirectX12 (Beta)
VSync: Fast
Triple-Buffering: Enabled
Foreground FPS Cap: 70 (to limit CPU Spikes)
Background FPS Cap: 60

Antialiasing Quality: OFF (Default)
Lighting: Shadows (Default)
Shadow Quality: Low (Default)
Sun Shadow Quality: Low
Number of Lights: Low
Bloom: 25%
Depth of Field: Disabled (Default)
Water Detail Level: Low
Texture Quality: Medium (Locked)
Texture Filtering: Trilinear Filtering

Graph Details: All Graphs
Show Bars: Enabled
Transparency: Max

Dynamic Culling: Enabled
Dynamic Resolution: Enabled (Default)
Target Framerate: 60
Engine Multithreading: Endabled (Default)

Shader Cache on NVIDIA Settings Panel is set to 5GB
OpenGL GDI Compatibility: Prefer performance
Texture Filtering - Quality: Performance

As for Vulkan, it works well until a few minutes in random textures get stuck on screen and start glowing and moving randomly as if particles are being loaded in the wrong places for no reason.

EDIT: After playing for a few hours, I encountered the Infinite Loading screen once again when trying to load into Halls of the Dead.
Last edited by diggtrap on Sep 11, 2023, 3:11:46 AM
Last bumped on Sep 13, 2023, 8:08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Halls of the Dead keeps giving me infinite loading screens when using DX12, no matter what configurations I have enabled/disabled. Even with --waitforpreload it gives me infinite loading screen.

After loading into it with DX11, I switch to DX12, the game freezes for about 20 seconds and the game looks super low resolution like I mentioned before.

No amount of playing in the zone fixes it.
Last edited by diggtrap on Sep 13, 2023, 8:09:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info