Let me know your thoughts: multi-skill setup idea

I know that this is less a problem for PoE 2 (when it ever comes out...) because of the new socket system:
***I am well aware these ideas will NEVER happen, but wanted to share them anyway.

GGG had expressed interest in having characters using more than 1 active skill, both in the beginning of the game's life, as well as in recent interviews with developers.

This is made nearly impossible in PoE because of 2 limiting factors: the passive tree specializations and 6-link availability.

What if...

1) The passive tree offered far more general nodes and less specific nodes, allowing the ascendancies to perhaps offer more specialization. Yes, this would drastically simplify the game, but it would also make it easier to use completely different skill types in one charcter. OR perhaps include nodes throughout the tree that transfer buffs of one type to another: "Boosts to melee physical damage also affect cold spell skill damage" or something more creative. *I am aware GGG expressed the desire to move AWAY from ascendancy specialization. I disagree with this move.

2) Give buffs to skills if you are NOT using a 6L. This would require a total overhaul of the game. Perhaps each time you use another support gem, the damage effectiveness of the original skill takes some kind of penalty. Or conversely, at level 20, a gem receives a buff to damage effectiveness if it uses less than 4 supports (more for less than 3/2/1). That way, the damage numbers on a full 6L and a potential 3L in a weapon are not as drastic. As GGG has stated when they nerfed support gems in general a few leagues back: offer more unique mechanics in support gems, and not just straight up buffs. Leave the damage to the skill itself or the gear, etc.

I personally think if PoE 2 does not make some drastic changes to how the passive tree works...we are going to end up in the exact same boat as PoE 1 in terms of single-skill usage. Even with the new socket system. You just simply can't create an effective character that is equally powerful with multiple forms of attacks or spells without some incredibly specialized gear. This is one thing that most other modern arpgs do differently from PoE: levels and points buff the SKILL in certain ways and not very much the specific damage type. This league played around with passive trees on weapons: what about passive trees on the skill gems?!
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jun 6, 2023, 9:29:15 PM
Last bumped on Jun 6, 2023, 9:28:34 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info