Logged out while playing

At first I thought I hit the wrong button but it has happened twice now. I will be playing normally then the game will just log me out without warning. Is this something normal, does it happen when servers are on high load? What's going on?
is there a disconnect error on the bottom left of the screen when you get logged out?

if there is no error or message then something you're doing is somehow causing the logout. otherwise there will probably be a message that says an unexpected disconnect occurred.
Last edited by Drakier on Apr 14, 2013, 4:43:51 PM
I don't think I ever noticed. I will have to check again to be sure but I am almost certain it is nothing I am doing.
I've played several MMO's over the past 10 years. I have never run across a game with SO MUCH lag/desync/logout issues. This game is broken and I hope ggg can fix it. I bought stash-tabs from ggg and honestly I think spending money on this game was a complete mistake. I think crack would have been a better investment but hey, lessons learned right.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that everyone seems to be quick to say "It's your net/hardware your pc sucks blah blah blah".... If that was the case why wouldn't EVERY game I play lag/desync/log-me-out-for-no-reason the way PoE does? Not saying I never lag on any game ever but this is kinda ridiculous for a dev company that was croud-funded @ over $2.5 MILLION dollars. That's a WHOLE LOTTA server
Last edited by ImaMonstr on Oct 3, 2014, 11:12:46 PM
"
ImaMonstr wrote:
EDIT: I also wanted to add that everyone seems to be quick to say "It's your net/hardware your pc sucks blah blah blah".... If that was the case why wouldn't EVERY game I play lag/desync/log-me-out-for-no-reason the way PoE does? Not saying I never lag on any game ever but this is kinda ridiculous for a dev company that was croud-funded @ over $2.5 MILLION dollars. That's a WHOLE LOTTA server

First, you need to start by learning what Desync actually is by reading the Developer Manifesto on Client/Server synchronization. Then you can actually understand what the problem ACTUALLY is and why GGG can't "fix" it like you might want. Also keep in mind that ALL online games suffer from desync to some degree... some hide it better than others, or some make a LOT of concessions to the user/client to make it look like desync doesn't exist. GGG won't do that. Again, read the manifesto to learn why.

Second, that's not how the internet works. You can't say "just because I get to Game X fine, I should be able to get to all games fine, right? Or conversely, I can't get to Game Y, but I can get to every other game fine, so it must be Game Y's fault, right? The answer is NO. Think of the internet like your nearest largest city. The roads you travel on are like the routes packets take, and packets are like Cars on those roads. The buildings/businesses/locations are like the various Servers on the internet. Keeping that in mind, pretend that EVERYWHERE you want to go, you have to use Google Maps to get ONE route to a location and follow that route exactly. Lets say that route to the Grocery store takes you through heavy traffic, or a construction zone. You're going to have some issues getting to the Grocery store right? Now lets imagine that the Grocery Store is PoE's servers. Now lets say that the Library is GameX's servers. Chances are, the route to get to the Library is only the same as the Grocery store until you get onto a major street. After that, the routes diverge. Lets say that the traffic wasn't on the way to the library because it was on the road to the Grocery store. That's similar to how the internet works. So you can't assume that just because something works correctly that everything does, and you cannot assume that just because some location doesn't work right, that it is the fault of the location and not some issue along the route. That's like blaming the Grocery store for the heavy traffic on a road nowhere near it.

Finally, In a LOT of cases, the issues people have with PoE are either ISP related, or PC related. GGG is an INDIE game... That means they don't have a large publisher with a billion dollars in their back pocket to throw money at a problem... (unlike other games rhyming with Shmiablo 3 by a company rhyming with Lizard). GGG wrote their own engine rather than licensing a mature one. That means there are going to be some growing pains in the game/engine as well as some needed optimizations. I'm not saying GGG or PoE is perfect.. I'm saying it takes a beefy machine to run it without issues, and even then, how well it plays is VERY much based on the type of character and skills you use.

This isn't an Xbox or Playstation game, nor are GGG developing a Console game. This is a PC game and as such, it follows standard PC gaming strategy.. IE: rather than designing to fit a specification, they are designing the game they WANT to make... if it works on your PC, then that's awesome. If not, you'll likely need to upgrade, change settings, or deal with the game until they make it more optimized.

And PLEASE don't ever compare unlike games as "other games work fine"... because that's like saying that just because an apple and orange are both fruits, that they should somehow be the same and be directly comparable... and that's just not the case. Sure, they're both games, but NOTHING about the games are at all alike... they don't have the same developers, they don't have the same engine, they don't have the same ANYTHING... so you can't compare them like that.

If you have any questions, please ask. We would rather answer the questions users have than get into arguments or things because people make bad assumptions and comparisons. Again, read the manifesto so you can educate yourself on the topic, and we'd be happy to answer other questions you might have.

Also next time, please create your own thread. You can find more information about that in the "Rules" sticky post. Thanks.
"
ImaMonstr wrote:
I've played several MMO's over the past 10 years. I have never run across a game with SO MUCH lag/desync/logout issues. This game is broken and I hope ggg can fix it. I bought stash-tabs from ggg and honestly I think spending money on this game was a complete mistake. I think crack would have been a better investment but hey, lessons learned right.

You can dodge in this game by actually moving out of the way of something. It's not some MMO auto-attack on target crap. The fundamentals of ARPG combat are nothing like an MMO's, technically. If you are on a fast connection, you don't see as much desync. And your disconnections (log-me-out-for-no-reason) have nothing to do with GGG's software, that has only to do with your internet connection.
Last edited by ionface on Oct 4, 2014, 2:51:45 AM
Oh...so my net/rig really messes with all of the other games I play I'm just too dumbified to realize it and only awaken to notice it with PoE. Gotcha, sorry for misunderstanding how the internet works, this is my first day. I'll make sure to read all manifestos on how a person represents their product rather than experiencing the product first hand and developing my own opinion. Ya know, I always wondered why my chevy started running terribly, you guys helped me realize it's because I replaced the old OEM motor with a Ford motor *facepalm*

EDIT: Also, Drakier, saying that the "roads are busy and thats why PoE isn't working right for you" is like saying that THE ONLY MMO to ever have heavy traffic is PoE? I'm sorry but isn't that why Server load is a pre-solved issue with 99.99% of all successful MMO's?(IE "We are planning on having 200k-1.5m active users playing at any given moment so we should prolly go with a better server") I'm just having a hard time understanding why PoE is special in terms of Server load:lag.

"
GGG is an INDIE game... That means they don't have a large publisher with a billion dollars in their back pocket to throw money at a problem...

Well ofcourse 2.5 million isn't even close to 1 billion but I would assume it's enough money to throw at a problem like lag

"
And PLEASE don't ever compare unlike games as "other games work fine"... because that's like saying that just because an apple and orange are both fruits, that they should somehow be the same and be directly comparable...

How am I comparing this to unlike games? Have I yet specified which games I've played over the past 10 years?

"
I'm not saying GGG or PoE is perfect.. I'm saying it takes a beefy machine to run it without issues, and even then, how well it plays is VERY much based on the type of character and skills you use.

So even with a "Beefy machine" and decent net "how well it plays is VERY much based on the type of character and skills you use." sounds a lot to me like a problem with the product not the consumer.

"
GGG wrote their own engine rather than licensing a mature one.

Not saying they didn't but it looks remarkably close to D2 and actually came from the devs of a specific D2 mod IIRC. Surprisingly, PoE also has quite a few similar "hack/exploit/botter" problems as D2 so....I'm not implying anything here by any means I'm just saying that shouldn't previous "Growing pains" be seen as an opportunity for growth?

"
You can dodge in this game by actually moving out of the way of something. It's not some MMO auto-attack on target crap.

So Kiting ONLY happens in PoE....riiiiight

EDIT: Sorry but this just has my head spinning, did you really just say tha PoE is the only MMO to make use of player controlled evasion tactics? You seriously just said that? I mean I...I have no words right now....I'm confused are you trolling? You're trolling right?

And just to throw in a bit of back-story for any readers who care to know a bit before they chose to google for themselves (I support searching for yourselves for the full story in this case) I've compiled a few quotes directly and unedited from a few sites.

From Polygon:
"
"So, we worked on Path of Exile the entire time," producer and lead designer Chris Wilson told Polygon in a recent interview. "It was basically the reason we created the studio, and it just took a long time to make it. And this is partly because we chose a game that was a bit larger than we could chew, so our intention of getting it out in two or three years was little of an underestimate."

I can really appreciate the passion here, you wanted to make something beautiful and it's getting there, you've done well so far.

"
In April 2012, as they were running out of money and considering asking investors for more money, they became inspired by the Kickstarter success of Double Fine Productions' Double Fine Adventure and InXile Entertainment's Wasteland 2. So Grinding Gear launched a homegrown crowdfunding campaign through the game's official website.

By the time it was done, Wilson said, it generated over $2.5 million USD.

As was the plan, that carried the game into an open beta that started this January. But this week, Grinding Gear will launch a second round of homemade crowdfunding for Path of Exile. Polygon spoke with Chris Wilson recently about the game, the studio and why Grinding Gear decided to launch a second crowdfunding campaign for an unfinished game.

Ouch. Not 1, but 2 crowd-funding runs.

"
Wilson acknowledges that Kickstarter is good for shining attention on a relatively unknown game. But by the time that Grinding Gear sought public funds, it had been working on Path of Exile for nearly six years

I know very little of coding but after six years I'm sure I could solve random logouts (unless they are intended)

DIRECT and UNEDITED from CHRIS himself:
"
"Desync" is a very hot topic. At best it's a minor annoyance when it occurs and at worst it can cause characters to get killed in situations where they thought there were no monsters around.

It's starting to feel a lot less like my 500mb net and a lot more like not my ISP's fault?

"
Any game has calculations that occur to determine the result of actions. In RPGs, these can range from combat calculations (who did what damage) to important economic transactions involving game items. To prevent players cheating, it's important that these calculations are not done on the gamer's computer, because they can easily modify the result of such calculations.

Because of this, all calculations that affect someone's progress must be done on servers that we control. These servers exist all over the world (Texas, Amsterdam, Singapore and Australia), but due to the speed of light and other physical limitations, it's not instant to send or receive data from them. We typically see response times between our players and the servers of around 50-250ms.

Cause it's on my end right?

"
All online games have this situation.

But Chris, the other guys said that I shouldn't compare PoE to any other MMO's because they are not alike. Now I'm just confused.

"
Wait until data arrives back from the server before doing anything. This is a very common strategy in RTS and MOBA games.

That makes sense, this isn't Starcraft.

"
If you are close to the server, you'll quickly get used to the lag and everything feels pretty good.

How can I get used to lag if all the fanboys say that there is no lag? I'm not close to the server so the fanboys must be right, it's my cardboard ISP again.

"
If you're far away (New Zealand, for example), it feels like you're playing drunk.

The picture is getting clearer, thank you Chris for clearing it up. Btw I appreciate all you do for us.

"
Start predicting the result of the action as though the server said yes, immediately. When the server later gets back to you with a result, factor it in. This is what Action RPGs including Path of Exile do. It means that when you click to move, or click to attack, it occurs instantly and feels great. The problem is what happens when the server decides that the action can't have occurred - that's when the game gets badly out of sync.

Ahhh the rubber-band affect by definition. So when people say it's my ISP they are referring to the "First option" that ALL online game servers have which is "Wait for the communication between client and server", when in reality it's the Thrid option "The game tried to predict what happens" just like PoE does. Fantastic thank you Chris for providing facts long before this discussion that inevitably helped fortify my stance on this matter.

Side note #2: The above quotes were DIRECT and UNEDITED from that manifesto you suggested I read Drakier. So please, enlighten me about how google maps works again?

Last edited by ImaMonstr on Oct 20, 2014, 11:43:27 AM
Just wanted to throw a TL:DR down here.

What fans say: "Any problems are on your end and have nothing to do with GGG"

What really happens: Path of Exile servers try to predict what you're doing in game which leads to rubber-banding and other problems. If you're having such problems it's likely NOT your fault.

Conclusion: Fans can claim "Superior" or "Unique" gameplay combined with a fault on the users end causes problems but anyone with half a brain and a search engine can figure it out for themselves.

EDIT: Lol...packets
Last edited by ImaMonstr on Oct 20, 2014, 11:47:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info