Galvanic Field

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Last bumped on Apr 22, 2024, 6:53:26 AM
I'm a lvl 95 Archmage Hierophant using this as a main skill, with shock nova to apply a 75% shock and various supporting skills to buff the damage, such as sigil of power, hydrosphere, and arcane cloak. Overall it's been a very strong ssf build, and due to its dot style way of dealing damage it ends up being good for bossing even with lower than average damage. I'm only hitting a limit pushing some of the harder end game content such as the feared and I feel it's more of an archmage issue than an issue with galvanic field.

If I had to pick one or two annoyances to point out, one would be that shock nova almost always places the field on the bottom right most enemy within its aoe. I figure this is more of a core game mechanics thing than anything but if it were possible to prioritize higher value targets such as rares and uniques it'd make the skill much smoother to use. You can always just sacrifice the 10% bonus shock on nova and use a more reliable skill like arc anyways.

In addition it seemingly has the ability to strike hydrosphere, but not chain from it to enemies, unlike how it can from one enemy to another. It would be very powerful for single target if it could but as it is it just eats the 1 hit per second making it nearly impossible to shock the hydrosphere yourself. I think I'd rather it simply not strike hydrosphere over allowing it to chain from it, as the damage boost from chaining would result in a strict requirement to use hydrosphere which doesn't sound healthy.

I have found one bug with the skill, in that it can strike and chain from certain environmental objects, such as heist or delve chests. This ignores the cooldown and can allow you to get up to 500% more dps if an object happens to be near. Obviously this isn't possible in most important situations but it is still a bug nonetheless.
The most annoying part of this skill has been getting it to attach to the target I want it to go on. Would love to see if it prioritized rares/uniques when hitting multiple enemies simultaneously.
"
Gregbm2 wrote:
I have found one bug with the skill, in that it can strike and chain from certain environmental objects

I've noticed as well it can attach to invulnerable things (at least at league start), like contempt essence mobs slam spirits. This could make it pretty annoying to get it to attach to the actual mob sometimes, though i imagine you're correct and greatly increases your damage because of this bug as well. Even in the bugged state it would evaporate essence mobs on a 4L
The skill itself seemed pretty solid, but my main issue with it is its clarity. It often gets extremely hard to know where the current active field is (or even if there's any), it gets especially hard on builds using many similar-ish effects (Orb of Storms + Frost shield + Sigil of Power for example), and when the skill is triggered. The effect could use a major visibility buff.
I've been playing Galvanic Field with Indigon Archmage Hierophant. The skill itself feels very good in ways to scale and proccing it with different skills.

Getting chain from any source makes it clear decently while still being a single target beast.

The skill requires a bit more visual clarity. Either highlight the edges more or add a ground effect to it. Used it while leveling and at first it was very hard to see if I procced it. Got used to it though and 100% shock chance kinda helps with knowing if you land it or not.
Hello.

When comparing Galvanic Field (GF) to Corrupting Fever (CF) I can see a lot of simmilarites. The main differences are that CF costs life and that it refreshes after spending X life.
Now, that means that GF does not refresh after meeting a similar condition. And I really don't see why it shouldn't.
Yes, I'm a lazy boy and don't want to press the button for GF every 6 seconds. What about a condition to continue the buff? Like, after you killed (25-75) shocked enemies (depending on gem level) or something like that?

Please reconsider adding such a condition to the gem. Thank you.

PS: I also think that the skills lacks visual feedback. You have to almot search for the mob to which the field is attached to.
As many others already stated before, the main issue with this skill is its visual clarity. The VFX is so transparent that 80% of the time I can't see it.

I'm considering buying an MTX to change that, and I know that's beneficial for GGG, but I really resent it (I really wanna buy things I like, or to support you, but not because of this kind of issues).
Last edited by Mandra1601 on Apr 22, 2023, 6:51:13 PM
I played this skill twice, as a 95 Inquisitor using Doryani's Prototype in Kalandra league, and as a 96 Elementalist using Expedition's End and Anathema in Forbidden Sanctum league.

In both cases I was using Phantasmal Galvanic Field to make the size large enough for reasonable coverage, while using the helm enchant for additional chain and the Lightning Mastery that had existed with additional chain for non-projectile lightning skills. I also used Shock Nova as the shocking skill each time, most successfully with Astral Projector.

The skill worked fairly well in those leagues and I was happy with the performance, even though the skill was generally considered a poor choice. Since then it lost the chain from the mastery, the chain from the helm enchant, and the alt quality that doubled the radius scaling. The new quality effect doesn't address any of these losses (or provide a benefit at all to using Galvanic Field as primary damage).

We haven't yet seen if a Transfigured gem returns either of these functionalities, orb size or chains, but even if it does happen it isn't likely to be both. My feedback on the matter is that at minimum a single chain should be added baseline to the skill, if not two. Then I can only hope a transfigured gem appears to help with the radius, but at least at that point the Chain support becomes a luxury support gem for clearing instead of a mandatory skill-doesn't-work-without!
Following up after checking out PoeNinja use of this skill in Affliction league, Galvanic Field was used by about 6% of Arc players for a secondary single target damage skill, with none of them shown investing in Chain at all.

Of the 51 characters listed for Galvanic Field most were using forms of Arc as primary, with one character doing Lightning Conduit/GF off Orb of Storms, one Penance Brand, one Divine Ire, one Storm Rain, one Detonate Dead, one Herald of Thunder self-shock. One was a failed gem swap from an unknown real build with mana stack gear. That left two players doing primary damage Galvanic Field.

Those two Hierophants were: Power Charge stacker using Shock Nova, and LL/Mana stack Archmage. The Power Charge stacker was a glass cannon with good damage and speed with very high investment (Mageblood+, 10 charges). The LL/Mana stack was a more moderate investment, slow but similar damage output with full Archmage/Indigon management.

The LL/Mana stack was the only character off all to use the Chain support (PC Stack was all blue sockets), which on it's own isn't that unusual as you wouldn't use a Less-Damage support when using the skill to supplement single target. That said I find it tragic that Galvanic Field, a chaining skill introduced with a +Chain helm enchant, has been reduced to single target use by nearly all users. I am well aware PoeNinja is not close to a full representation of the playerbase but the only visible Chain user's build just got invalidated with Archmage no longer supporting Orb skills.

I am once again suggesting a native chain (or honestly, two) be added to Galvanic Field. Compensation for the two lost chains of times past isn't necessarily a good reason, but I feel returning the skill to a place where it makes sense to consider as a primary skill is. Chaining skills without chains makes me sad, especially when this was already one of the less popular archtypes, the dreaded two-buttons-to-use skills. Too late for Necropolis league, but this would be nice to see in 3.25.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info