New Player needing direction

I just started this game a few days ago and before I did I watched a few videos online, met a friendly person online, and talked to some people on the Discord server and all were helpful but I had a few questions I thought I would ask.

At first I thought I might try to follow a particular build path from POE Vault, specifically this one for duelist [3.18] Herald of Agony Champion but then I realized it was very structured and I felt like it might limit what I can explore about the game mechanics on my own. I decided to go ahead and not follow a particular path.

With that in mind I'm aware that the further along I go the harder it is to make changes on the passive tree but yet I'm not sure how I should go on the passive tree. I had initially thought a duelist could equip a ranged weapon and melee and perform competently with both but the advice I'm getting suggests that specialization of 1 weapon type is ideal.

With that in mind I'm thinking I'm leaning towards a ranged duelist character ultimately ascending into a champion. My thinking with this being a champion has more staying power and I like ranged. If that is feasible than can someone direct me as far as the path along the duelist passive tree where I should be going into? I was following the passive path put out by the above build and I don't know if I should I should continue to follow that.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2022, 10:53:57 AM
For your first few leagues following a build made by an experienced player is probably the best idea. After a few leagues you'll get a feel for altering builds then in a few more leagues you may make an original build of your own.

This is a complicated game for new players. Take all the help you can get.

You want a ranged duelist then I will point you at Fezz's Toxic Rain guide. This build is capable of all content in the game, and has layered defences too. It's a great build, can be a league starter, and even functions well enough on cheap gear to get well into red maps.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229622

Thank you I'll check it out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info