[3.24] Bane/Blight Occultist Starter

Hello!

I'd like to present the build I've been refining over a few last leagues. It's been serving me well as capable of fully unlocking the Atlas while having a straightforward progression line within the archetype I really enjoy.

You can watch a quick overview of the gameplay in a video prepared by brittleknee.

The leveling trees (70 and 90), the default setup, and the suggested upgrades for import in PoB:
https://pobb.in/u/Xayazi/bbocc (this link is always set to the current version).

Head to this google doc for the full guideline.
Last edited by Xayazi on Mar 24, 2024, 11:51:36 PM
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2024, 8:17:52 AM
Hi! Thanks for your build and guide! What gems ideally should be in my equipment in the middle of act 3? I'm almost complete noob, your detailed Act 1 leveling walkthrough was very helpful.
Hey, I'm glad to hear that! I'm planning on finishing it up to Act 3 tomorrow, but by that phase you can already use the chaos skills and here's a general picture:

Blight - Efficacy - Infused Channeling - Controlled Destruction/Void Manipulation,
Bane - Despair - Temporal Chains - Controlled Destruction/Void Manipulation,
Flame Dash - Arcane Surge - Faster Casting,
Malevolence (or Purity of Elements if you need Elemental Resistances),
Clarity (probably not higher than lvl 5 though),
Withering Step (you may want to practice using it as the last in your single target damage sequence while still holding Blight).

If you don't have items with 4-linked sockets yet, they're in the order of importance.

A bit later on you should be able to allocate the energy shield mastery option for increased mana reservation efficiency of Discipline and use it for some bonus hit points.
Last edited by Xayazi on Aug 3, 2022, 5:45:39 AM
Hi
Does LL and CI matter in this build?
If don't, when I go to CI, will DPS be too low?
I wonder what you think.
Many thanks for sharing this! Nice to have an updated alternative guide on levelling Bane Occy rather than just Subtractem's!
Last edited by mrpetrov on May 12, 2022, 12:40:54 AM
"
knj1682 wrote:
Hi
Does LL and CI matter in this build?
If don't, when I go to CI, will DPS be too low?
I wonder what you think.

Hey, the LL/Pain Attunement setup is quite important for the build, but with my approach you don't need Shavronne's Wrappings to still do it really reliably. Going CI instead is eventually possible if you want to, but can be troublesome to justify.

It would give back a few passive skill points, which you can invest into Medium Cluster Jewels, but even then it's probably ~15% less damage. 1k unreserved life that I keep isn't insignificant for survivability and losing it means ~12% less hit points, depending on your energy shield. You must also think of other ways for managing your mana because using level 20 Clarity won't be possible straight away.

These loses would have to be made up for with better gear, so I think starting with LL is worth it. The main upside of CI that I can think of is the ability to ignore Maven's Spatial Decay. It also allows you to choose a different minor Pantheon Power than Shakari's and not being LL is a saver if in the content of your choice you're often cursed with Punishment.
Last edited by Xayazi on Aug 3, 2022, 5:56:14 AM
Hey I'm playing this build right now and having a great time but I'm having a hard time understanding how to buy the right items. Like for gloves for instance on PoB there are 3 seperate ones I don't know if I'm supposed to buy spell suppression ones or with energy shield. Or if I'm gonna try crafting them myself I don't know if I should start with evasion-es base or just es base.
It would be great if you explained the itemization of the build more thoroughly, like by going every slot in more detail on the google doc.
"
Reyhann wrote:
Hey I'm playing this build right now and having a great time but I'm having a hard time understanding how to buy the right items. Like for gloves for instance on PoB there are 3 seperate ones I don't know if I'm supposed to buy spell suppression ones or with energy shield. Or if I'm gonna try crafting them myself I don't know if I should start with evasion-es base or just es base.
It would be great if you explained the itemization of the build more thoroughly, like by going every slot in more detail on the google doc.

Hey, I'm happy you like it! Let me try to explain this slot in particular. My PoB setup includes configurations of items and passive skill trees that need to match:

The "Default" passive skill tree has allocated a large portion of the total chance to suppress spell damage on its nodes. In the "Upgraded" passive skill tree some of these skill points are used for a Cluster Jewel instead. Hence, the "Upgraded" gear must make up for the lost chance. It's assumed to be done through the gloves and the Watcher's Eye. Both are needed at the same time, but because getting a Watcher's Eye can take you quite a while, I suggested that the first/"Default" gloves can have just higher base energy shield. You can get/craft Murder Mitts just to be ready for later though.

The configuration "Upgraded II" assumes gloves that double down on the chance to suppress spell damage, so that the modifier on the Watcher's Eye can be replaced by the one granting chaos resistance. This enables taking the points back from One with Evil and allocating them somewhere else.
Last edited by Xayazi on Aug 3, 2022, 6:11:46 AM
Hello, i can´t switch in POB. I have only default.

What am I doing wrong?
"
Kokolôres wrote:
Hello, i can´t switch in POB. I have only default.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, looks like when I was updating the link, I put here the one of a character used for a test run by mistake. I just changed it to the correct one (https://pobb.in/hxm979Lxd9ze), thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info